What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Started our search  (Read 2424 times)

cappykat

Started our search
« on: July 09, 2005, 04:06:43 pm »
I'm back....after deciding against the $8400 Leisure Bay spa because of the great advise on this site...we looked at 2 major brands today; Master Spas LSX model and HotSpring Envoy & Vanguard.

We wet tested the HotSpring and loved all of them.  There's about $1000 difference between the HotSpring Envoy and Master Spa LSX.  

Now here's my question; we really like the HotSpring but have concerns about the kiln dried bottom (we live in Orlando, FL).  We were told the wood is treated with arsenic and bugs will not be drawn to it.  Also, the salesperson said even the steel construction spas will rust.

So let me hear it....pros and cons on both.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Started our search
« on: July 09, 2005, 04:06:43 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Started our search
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 04:17:44 pm »
Too bad the HS guy had to slander while defending his product.

I dont know if Master uses the same materials as Coleman, but Colemans steel frame is galvanized. Not likely to rust for a long long time.

Homeworks Financing Representative

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 04:23:58 pm »
I have seen steel frames rust (when they put the screws in they have to go through whatever protective coating they put on it) and I have seen pressure-treated lumber rot after 10+ years. Doesn't stop the tub from being used.

Nothing is perfect. I respect Coleman for galvanizing the steel - it is better than powder-coat or paint. Is it better than wood? IMO it's just different.

I respect HotSpring for using pressure-treated lumber on the bottom and sealing it with hard foam. Is it better than steel? IMO it's just different.

I would choose based on other things.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 04:25:46 pm »
I have seen steel frames rust (when they put the screws in they have to go through whatever protective coating they put on it) and I have seen pressure-treated lumber rot after 10+ years. Doesn't stop the tub from being used.

Nothing is perfect. I respect Coleman for galvanizing the steel - it is better than powder-coat or paint. Is it better than wood? IMO it's just different.

I respect HotSpring for using pressure-treated lumber on the bottom and sealing it with hard foam. Is it better than steel? IMO it's just different.

I would choose based on other things.

Agreed.
Homeworks Financing Representative

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 06:53:08 pm »
The wood is pressure treated pine, just like most decks are made of.  Insects don't like it, but if it stays wet all the time, it will eventually rot.  If you put it on a deck, it will be fine.  If it is on a slab or patio, make sure there is enough slope so the water does not stand under it.  My Vita (made down the road from you in Miami, BTW) has a pressure treated frame with a thick plastic bottom attached.

I would not consider this item to be a deal breaker if that is the spa you like.  You are already on the right track by picking a reputable company first. Hotsprings sells thousands of spas and has lots of satisfied customers.  They must be doing something right.

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 08:27:56 pm »
I'm back....after deciding against the $8400 Leisure Bay spa because of the great advise on this site...we looked at 2 major brands today; Master Spas LSX model and HotSpring Envoy & Vanguard.

We wet tested the HotSpring and loved all of them.  There's about $1000 difference between the HotSpring Envoy and Master Spa LSX.  

Now here's my question; we really like the HotSpring but have concerns about the kiln dried bottom (we live in Orlando, FL).  We were told the wood is treated with arsenic and bugs will not be drawn to it.  Also, the salesperson said even the steel construction spas will rust.

So let me hear it....pros and cons on both.

Well as a NEW LSX owner all of 3 days ! I am a little biased I tested a lot of spas and came to the conclusion that the LSX was best for ME. It has a metal frame and looks to be very well galvanized will it rust sure. I am willing to deal with that. The other spas did not do it for me. As has been said before nothing if perfect. Not gonna knock the HS but there was a BIG difference in my wet test, I think HS makes an OK product but it just was not me.  The Master................. well I guess ya just have to sit and test drive..........I was in the Extreme seat last night cause I've been workin like a dog  getting ready and there is nothing like it [IMHO] . And as soon as the thunder stops I'm gonna go tonight for my 2nd soak..........Good luck............ there are a lot of great spas out there you just have to find yours!

Gary  

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 09:46:16 pm »
Gary1911....see PM.  Thanks everyone for your input.  e really appreciate it.  If I hadn't found this site we'd be the owners of a very expensive Leisure Bay.
2005 Marquis Epic

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 04:25:40 am »
galvinized steel will not rust...........unless you cut it to size, or screw into it. Hot springs has been doin' it the same for years and unless I'm wrong........without too many complaints!!!!!!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 04:25:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42