What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: antimicrobial surface  (Read 4340 times)

fatman

antimicrobial surface
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:26:41 am »
Is it true that the antimicrobial effects of a Microban surface do not work when under water?  Does the antimicrobial effect work only when the surface is exposed to air?

Hot Tub Forum

antimicrobial surface
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:26:41 am »

J._McD

Re: antimicrobial surface
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 09:26:48 am »
The concept and the product which uses "microban" protects the product by inhibiting and preventing the growth of bacteria on microban treated products.  

There is no active ingredient in "microban" that has any meaningful benefit to the consumer that attacks or kills bacteria.

It protects the product, not the consumer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 09:27:14 am by J._McD »

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 09:56:04 am »
Microban works on the surface out or under water.  It will not affect the bacteria count in the water, just on the surface.  The only two benefits I can think of is possible a waterline that has not been cleaned for some time and bacteria etches into acrylic making it extremely hard to clean.  Maybe some of you have seen that permanent waterline after awhile, or sitting on the edge of your spa without clothes on.??????

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 10:00:50 am »
I've only ever devoloped a scum line on the tub back when I was a newbie, but even with the textured surface, it is always easy to clean.   I've never owned a tub without it, so I have no basis for comparison.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:11:18 am »
Yes.  Most permanent stains have been on swirl acrylics, not granites.

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 10:29:32 am »
High gloss acrylic with a marble finish or matte finish quarite acrylic are both acrylic.  The pebble texture simply has a different "melt" temperature that creates the matte finish when being vacuume formed.  

The water line is more apparent in "high gloss" acrylics than the matte finish and both will accumulate oils and minerals at the water line without good skimming action from the filter.  

City water is different than well water which will have more mineral matter such as calcium, lime, copper, iron etc. that can or will etch or adhere to either acrylic surface.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 10:35:45 am by J._McD »

tootall

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 02:53:45 pm »
The concept and the product which uses "microban" protects the product by inhibiting and preventing the growth of bacteria on microban treated products.  

There is no active ingredient in "microban" that has any meaningful benefit to the consumer that attacks or kills bacteria.

It protects the product, not the consumer.

amen to that it helps keep mold and wildew from forming were the sides and the shell meet and were the cover and shell touch out side of that not much else.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 02:53:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42