What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical connection conflict  (Read 3260 times)

Bigbender

Electrical connection conflict
« on: July 06, 2005, 07:10:58 pm »
During a half-hour shock yesterday, our hot tub kicked off the GFCI breaker. After a few un-successful breaker re-sets, I called the dealer to set up a service call and explained that it was kicking the breaker when I tried to turn on the jets. They came today with a new pump but found that the entire control board was shot and that the wires connected to it were melted.

Now, here's the conflict.... Because of the melted wire, the dealer is concerned that our wiring wasn't done correctly and wants me to move the GFCI breaker next to the tub and have another 50 amp breaker installed at the service panel. I called my electrician and he said that my wiring was done to code and that moving the GFCI breaker would create a potentially dangerous situation. He also said that he's done other hot tubs and swimming pools this way without any problems. Just to make sure, he called another electrician (with 30 years experience) and he confirmed this. I'm no electrician but the breaker did kick off more than once so I feel that it's working correctly.

Here's how our wiring was done.....We ran 6 guage wire overhead from a 200 amp service panel in the basement to the outside porch. He installed a 50 amp GFCI circuit breaker in that service panel. An un-fused switch and box is mounted to the side of a ceiling joist 7 feet above and to the left of the tub. From there, flex conduit is run across the header then down one of the porch posts and into the tub using a 90 degree conduit connector. The hot tub is under a roof.

Who's right here ???

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical connection conflict
« on: July 06, 2005, 07:10:58 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Electrical connection conflict
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:47:20 pm »
Although I'm not an electrician.

I was quoted both ways by different electricians. One wanted to put the GFI beaker into the service panel and run the wire and a few were going to put a GFCI breaker around the tub.

The way I finally had it done is the GFCI beaker is 5 ft away from the tub. The only concern was the length of the run, if it was over 100 ft then I was going to need to put in a larger size wire - I believe I came in at about 85 ft. The concern is for voltage drop. I used #6 wire for a 50 Amp circuit.

How long a run is it and how big a circuit? Obviously the breaker did trip but did you test the GFCI function before the problems? Melted wireds are an indication of an over current condition. Are you sure you have the correct amperage breaker - If you need a 50 and have a 60 then it's 10 more amps that need to be reached before the breaker trips.

I know this wasn't much help - sorry!

tootall

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:29:35 pm »
Code in my county is a GCFI inter rupter no more then 5 feet from tub at no less then 30 amp no more then 60 amp.  Best thing to do is check local codes and this is what I would do call an electritian have him bid out the job in detail for you then do the job yourself. after he tells you what needs to be done.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 12:02:15 pm »
It does depend on local codes, of course.... our previous installation, where the panel was only about 20 feet from the spa, we had the GFCI in the breaker panel, and the plain disconnect box near the spa.

Our new one is about 50 feet or so from the spa location, and we'll probably have to use larger wire to the disconnect, and then 6 ga. to the spa.  I still think the GFCI in the panel and the manual disconnect near the spa is better, since the whole circuit then is protected from any current leakage.

Let us know what you find out about local codes!  I can't believe where the GFCI was had anything to do with your spa's problems, though...
--
Lee

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 12:07:58 pm »
I would go with your electrician on this one unless another electrician tells you otherwise.  Whatever caused the problem is clearly with the spa. Almost the same thing happened to me except the damage was limited to the controller board.  I'm sure what your dealer is concerned about is the fact that the incoming wires got hot enough to melt before the breaker was tripped.  If things are wired to code I might suspect a breaker didn't perform correctly.  But this shouldn't be used as an excuse for the failure.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 12:15:20 pm »
Both electricians are right.  As long as your wiring was protected by the correct rated GFI breaker, you can put the breaker in a shutoff next to the spa, or you can put the GFI breaker in the main service panel, and use some other form of approved cutoff for the spa.  Either is correct, and one isn't safer than the other.
If your wiring meets code, about all you can do is fix the spa and go forward.  
Brewman
Brewman

Bigbender

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 04:50:57 pm »
I appreciate your input everyone, thank-you. If anyone else has an opinion, please share it with me.

The service guy came today with a new control box and its replacement solved the problem. When I asked his opinion on the breaker location, he said that they have hot tubs installed both ways but he's claiming that the other way is to code in his area. He's only an hour away so I'm not sure if that's even a possibility. We both think that my attempts to re-set the breaker may have done most of the melting but we're not sure.

This question still remains un-answered and I'm going to keep digging. I am curious about what Brewman is saying because only one method will meet a state electrical code, right ? I thought that they were developed to establish one correct way.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 05:30:01 pm »
It could be your county vs. *his* county.  Is he in the same county?  Around here (Northern Virginia), most counties adopt the NEC of some recent year (2002, 1999, etc.), but I can sure see some places where they could have some counties (or states) that did or didn't use the NEC or a different standards body or perhaps the differing years had differing guidelines...

The bottom line is:  what standard does your area use, and what area is your electrician 'from' and what does his area use?
--
Lee

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 07:42:42 pm »
Code in my county is a GCFI inter rupter no more then 5 feet from tub at no less then 30 amp no more then 60 amp.  Best thing to do is check local codes and this is what I would do call an electritian have him bid out the job in detail for you then do the job yourself. after he tells you what needs to be done.

I think you mean, "more than 5 feet from the tub" not "NO more than 5 feet...."

I would certainly hope after getting a detailed bid of everything you need to know to do it yourself that you would be gracious enough to give him a $50 tip for being so helpful and considerate to inform you. ;)
otherwise what's in it for him. :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 07:42:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42