What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D1-californian or chairman II???  (Read 2651 times)

IRA

D1-californian or chairman II???
« on: July 05, 2005, 09:11:44 pm »
Test drove hot springs and D1 today. Not impressed with the moto massagers in the hot springs. Loved the D1-
It is between the californian & the chairman II.
Liked the lights and fountain on the californian as well as the lounge, very comfortable. Liked one of the seats a little better in the chairmanII, but the lounge was not as comfortable, although liked the massage features better.
Any advice is appreciated....
One other thing...D1 does not have air bubble controls-Is that a negative or positive?

Hot Tub Forum

D1-californian or chairman II???
« on: July 05, 2005, 09:11:44 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: D1-californian or chairman II???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:16:30 am »
As far as the air bubble controls, Some manufactuers don't incoporate this feature. The belief is, from what I was told by a dealer is, the air bubblers can significantly increase your heating costs in cold weather and quickly reduce the temp of the tub.

The thermal pane tubs claim that since they  air from thier dead air space, it's already heated and not an issue.  The full foam crowd claims it still must draw cold air into the space.

I personally don't care either way for the bubblers. My wife claimed it made her skin itchy.

Since I was concerned with heat efficencieny, and the tub I really liked didn't have it as an option (Tiger River), It was a moot point for me.  Are you in a cold weather climate? Is heating a big issue?

My  2 cents would be wet test a tub that offers it, and then decide it it's a real issue.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 09:22:14 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:07:39 am »
As far as the air bubble controls, Some manufactuers don't incoporate this feature. The belief is, from what I was told by a dealer is, the air bubblers can significantly increase your heating costs in cold weather and quickly reduce the temp of the tub.

This is true. But a closer look at a D-1 reveals that the air injection is done through the massage pumps not the 24-hour circ pump.

Pump one will run 1-3 hours, 1-4 times a day. The user can program this.
The thermal pane tubs claim that since they  air from thier dead air space, it's already heated and not an issue.  The full foam crowd claims it still must draw cold air into the space.

Always a fun debate. No TP can be 100% sealed, otherwise the cabinet would cavitate when air is being drawn in, especially if a blower is running. Despite this, my experience shows a well built TP is very energy efficient (see Coleman, Arctic)

That aside, if you can afford it, get the Chairman II. The sequnecer you will enjoy more than the lights and fountains (at least I would).

Did you wet test or just dry test these? Many uncomfortable tubs dry are comfortable wet.

Homeworks Financing Representative

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
This is true. But a closer look at a D-1 reveals that the air injection is done through the massage pumps not the 24-hour circ pump.

Pump one will run 1-3 hours, 1-4 times a day. The user can program this.
Always a fun debate. No TP can be 100% sealed, otherwise the cabinet would cavitate when air is being drawn in, especially if a blower is running. Despite this, my experience shows a well built TP is very energy efficient (see Coleman, Arctic)

That aside, if you can afford it, get the Chairman II. The sequnecer you will enjoy more than the lights and fountains (at least I would).

Did you wet test or just dry test these? Many uncomfortable tubs dry are comfortable wet.

I agree with Hottubman, wet test and make up your mind from there. All the tubs he mentioned as well as the D1 have a superior reputation. I drooled over  the Chariman but alas, it was outside my budget.  :P

Concerning the air bubblers,  just to understand better, does running the airators in an outside tub in the dead of winter in 10 degree weather,  significantly effect heating?

Specifically, regardless of TP or FF, does the bubbling effect on the surface of the water release heat quicker, or is it insignificant?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 10:29:45 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 12:11:39 pm »
My tub bubbles!!!! I bought a Coleman 461 with the air-bubble controlers and I love them. If I don't turn them on the tub doesn't have enoguh "umph" to make my back feel a little better and get the cramps to cease. My hubby on the other hand, likes the bubbles for a little while but then turns his side off, saying it pounds his back to much after awhile. So I think with the bubbles is best for my back, but then again it's all in the eye of the beholder I think, personal preference along with chems, insulation, and which tub is best for you

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 12:32:36 pm »
Backpains;

Just remember to turn off your air controls when you get out.

Two reasons.

1. When your tub runs for its 2*3 hour filter cycles, the air injection will raise your pH. You will then spend more $ on pH down.

2. In the winter (not sure where you live) the air injection during those cycles will draw some cool air into the tub, resulting in more $ on heat.

By getting into the habit of turning off the air when you get out, you negate these two factors.

This principal should apply to any tub that does not use a circulation pump.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 06:27:14 pm »
Sorry for the interruption,

Congratulations HotTubMan!  You are now one of us!!!   ;) ;D
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 06:27:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42