What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Whats in your chemical arsenal?  (Read 4275 times)

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
Whats in your chemical arsenal?
« on: July 03, 2005, 07:51:10 am »
Just want to get a feel for what you keep on hand at all times. Obviously chlorine/Bromine................what else should I have ????????????

Gary
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 10:15:39 am by Gary1911 »

Hot Tub Forum

Whats in your chemical arsenal?
« on: July 03, 2005, 07:51:10 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Whats in you chemical arsenal?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 08:14:49 am »
Well I'm a newbie myself in spa chemistry but here's what I'm thinking.

The dealer gave me a bottle of Alkalinity increaser but you can use baking soda. She claimed it would raise PH and it did to a point then stopped. I use borax for the pool and used that and it seemed to work, otherwise use PH up. For lowering PH you can use PH down or muriatic acid (this is some nasty stuff), it will also work on lowering Alkalinity.

She also gave me a bottle of Calcium increaser,  some people believe in calcium some don't. I believe it's part of balanced water.

I  had a brown scum line and used Spa Perfect enzymes and it seemed to work.

My water turned green after being in the tub a while so by reading I assume (though not 100% sure) it's metal in the water.

Also, bought some MPS as "shock" and will use the dealer's bottle of shock (has dichlor and something else in it) until it's gone. I plan on alternating shocking with dichlor and MPS, unless the family has a problem with MPS.

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
Re: Whats in you chemical arsenal?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 08:21:19 am »
Thanks Vinny :)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Whats in your chemical arsenal?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 08:31:19 am »
Gar-Gar,
Here's my list:
Dichlor--spare the dichlor, spoil the tub--used for shock as well at times
MPS--used for shock most times
Sodium carbonate--raise pH
Sodium bicarbonate--raise pH and TA
Sodiium bisulfate--lower pH and TA--used very rarely and not at all in the last 10 months.
Defoamer--cut 50/50 in spray bottle with water--used as needed
Clarifier--only used twice when water got out of whack
Swirl Away--only used once at first water change after startup
That's about it, dude.  Even though it's not a chem, make sure you get 303 Aerospace Protectant and use it on EVERYTHING including cover (top and bottom), headrests, and everything else plastic including air controller knobs, electronic controller faces and filter compartment cover and face.  It is truly great stuff-- 8)

We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 09:02:15 am »
Dichlor
pH up
Spa Defender
Bright n Clear
Alk up

For water changes only:
Metal Gone
Swirl Away
Tub wax
303 protectant

Thats all we use, but we've also got a huge stash of chems we never use.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 09:03:09 am by CalicoskiesNC »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 10:29:02 am »
My arsnal includes:

Bromine- tablets and concentrate
Ph decreaser and increaser
water clarifier
defoamer
aklitity increaser
stain and scale
and a couple of small packets of shock

BTW all my products are Spa Essentials

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 03:18:12 pm »
Thanks kids.......... I am makin a list.......... Hey Windy.... the LSX arrives Wends........... ;D ;D ;D I cant wait I am trying to get a hold of the Eletrician  but with it being the 4th he's hard to find......  oh well at least it will be here.......... 8) 8) 8)

Gary

Happy 4th guys and gals.......... Hows the back BP?  

windsurfdog

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 10:39:45 pm »
Thanks kids.......... I am makin a list.......... Hey Windy.... the LSX arrives Wends........... ;D ;D ;D I cant wait I am trying to get a hold of the Eletrician  but with it being the 4th he's hard to find......  oh well at least it will be here.......... 8) 8) 8)

Gary

Duuude,
That's great!  You will be pleased, I'm sure.  BTW, 7/11 marks my first anniversary with my LSX.  I'm planning a nice water change and a change of my mineral filters next weekend.  Also, I've had my current water since the beginning of Feb. and it's clear as a bell and continues to respond nicely.......... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 06:19:10 am »
Dichlor, Baking Soda and N2
Retired

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 09:39:16 pm »
Duuude,
That's great!  You will be pleased, I'm sure.  BTW, 7/11 marks my first anniversary with my LSX.  I'm planning a nice water change and a change of my mineral filters next weekend.  Also, I've had my current water since the beginning of Feb. and it's clear as a bell and continues to respond nicely.......... 8)

Thanks man !! I am ready talked to the electrician today [he lives across the street] ;) he can run but................. ;D  3-5 tommorrow :D :D :D

jet757f

• Sundance Palermo
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 08:47:28 am »
What is MPS?

Ken

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 09:28:33 am »
UI'm using a DiChlor and Cd ozinator system and have the same as what other users claim.

Additionaly, I have a bottle of enzeme that seems to be missing from other's lists.

I had some slight foaming and the foam down agent didn't get it all and the tub was a bit cloudy, the enzeme seemed to finish it off, and also clear up some gunk.

of course, I blame my wife who rubs herself down with  baby oil every day for the oil in the water.  I have nicknamed her "The Valdez"  
;)
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 02:31:41 pm »
What is MPS?

Non-chlorine shock....used to oxidize chloramines.  Once free chlorine combines with contaminants in the water, the combined chlorine, i.e., the chlorine molecules which have combined with contaminants, need to be oxidized thereby removing the combined chlorine and contaminant molecules from the water.  This shocking action can also be initiated by using high doses of dichlor instead of MPS.  The advantage of MPS is that swimmers/soakers can enter the water anywhere from 15-30 min. after an MPS shock where it could take up to 24 hours for chlorine levels to dissipate enough for bathing if using dichlor.  The downside of MPS is that it contributes more to TDS than dichlor, but, in most cases, changing the water every 2-4 months (depending upon bather load) will keep TDS from being problematic.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 04:33:55 pm »
UI'm using a DiChlor and Cd ozinator system and have the same as what other users claim.

Additionaly, I have a bottle of enzeme that seems to be missing from other's lists.

I had some slight foaming and the foam down agent didn't get it all and the tub was a bit cloudy, the enzeme seemed to finish it off, and also clear up some gunk.

of course, I blame my wife who rubs herself down with  baby oil every day for the oil in the water.  I have nicknamed her "The Valdez"  
 ;)

Yeah drew I'm going to be going to Billings soon to my dearest dealer to get some enzyme.....and myabe a bottle of some kind of smelly good stuff  ::)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 04:33:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42