What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's the best shock for bromine?  (Read 13571 times)

txwillie

What's the best shock for bromine?
« on: June 23, 2005, 05:50:22 pm »
My Marquis has the Spa Frog inline bromine system. Most folks say to shock with MPS, and I did for months. Then I read several posts on shocking with diclor even if you use bromine as the sanitizer. Been doing that for a few weeks and to me, the water quality is better. Please give me some opinions on this.

Second, how does shocking with diclor affect the results of the bromine level on test strips? Am I still gettting an accurate bromine reading, or does the diclor distort the readings?

THX

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

What's the best shock for bromine?
« on: June 23, 2005, 05:50:22 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: What's the best shock for bromine?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 07:00:40 am »
I can't really help.  Maybe this will give it an added bump, so the experts will see it!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 07:48:25 am »
Me neither, I use Brilliance, which is bromine without chlorine.  Most other bromine that I've see has chlorine in it.  I use MPS for shock.  
I don't see why you couldn't use chlorine as shock, I don't know how this would affect your test strip readings.  Give it some more time, and I'm sure one of the pro's on the board will chime in.
Brewman
Brewman

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:50:24 pm »
MPS is an oxidizer only

Dichlor will oxidize and slightly increase your bromine levels. To keep it simple, chlorine turns into bromine when added to a bromine system. This may be why you are having better luck with dichlor (you're bumping your sanitizer slightly with each shock)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:47:51 pm »
I'll take a stab at this :-)

first, your second question, "how does shocking with diclor affect the results of the bromine level on test strips?"

Test strips do NOT test for chlorine or bromine! What they do test for is the oxidation potential of the water. The strips are "calabrated" to give a result based on the type of sanitizer you're using. Chlorine, bromine, MPS, even ozone will give a positive reaction on ANY test strip regardles of what the lable SAY it tests for.

Secondly, the first question......... try reading this first and come back with any questions;

http://www.rhtubs.com/BROMINE.htm
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 04:55:37 pm »
The best shock for bromine is sort of interesting.  I am not even sure that you need to shock since even combined bromine is an effective sanitizer.  In dry from, dichlor can react dangerously with bromine, so you would want to use great care in how they are stored so as to prevent any possibility for them to get into contact with each other.  

Then to answer your question, If your residual bromine level in the watere is in the right range, then MPS would probably be the best choice.  If your residual is low, then dichlor would probably be more effective.  So, you might want to have both and use the one that fits the situation best in any given situation.

Regards,

Bill

dadofrad

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 01:53:04 pm »
The best shock for bromine is don't use bromine. The stuff is crap!!!! I do not let my kids in any water that uses bromine . Been in the busi. for 21 years. I convert my customers to anything other than bromine.

Michelle

• He said "trust me!" so I married him.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 02:41:02 pm »
Thanks for the info Doc.

I use the method described by Bill and have great results, crystal clear water, and no odor.

dadofrad, please offer more than than "The stuff is crap!!!! I do not let my kids in any water that uses bromine . Been in the busi. for 21 years"

Michelle

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 02:51:45 pm »
Well answered Bill...

MPS does a great job to burn up the organics and make your residual bromine more effective. As an effective shock, a significant amount of dichlor is required, you are adding more sanitizer and you typically have to wait longer for the Chlorine level to drop to use the tub again.

I use MPS (keep in mind not all MPS products are created equal) and have dichlor on hand for when I need a boost in sanitizer.

Ultimately, it's a matter of preference... if you choose MPS again choose quality.
e

dadofrad

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 03:28:03 pm »
Well let me first state that if you do not stay on top of your chems like shocking reg. , and i do meen reg. your off gassing gets to strong inwich makes you gag. You  may do that now but later  as the yaers go on you prop.
wont stay on top of things.
2  My youngest boy is asmatic and every time he goes into a spa that is being disenfected by bromine he has an attack.
3 after acouple of weeks/ mounth your clear water is only clear when the pumps are not running as soon as you turn on your pumps that clear water is now milky white. that dosen't occur with chlorine, lithium,shoot even bauqua spa.
4 When  I first start in this industry you only had to drain your spa only once a year. Then bromine :-X came out , and the push was on this is the next best thing to chlorine ;D. Then the idustry started say now you have to drain your spa every four mounths. Why Off gassing
occurs and the only way truly way is to dump and start over.

txwillie

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 04:52:28 pm »
after acouple of weeks/ month your clear water is only clear when the pumps are not running as soon as you turn on your pumps that clear water is now milky white. that dosen't occur with chlorine

I have this issue with cloudy water when the pumps run. Clears up once they shut off. I've drained and refilled at 8-10 weeks since I've had the tub for this reason. Do other bromine users have this issue?

Thanks,

txwillie

txwillie

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 10:30:11 am »
BUMP!

I'd like some feedback on dadofrad's point # 3 above. I've had this issue with cloudy water when the pumps run since I've had the tub. Starts just a week or so after a fill and gets worse over time. Clears up a minute or two after the pumps shut off. I've drained and refilled at 8-10 weeks since I've had the tub for this reason. Do other bromine users have this issue?

I've posted on this several times but have not gotten a real answer or solution. I've had the water tested by more than one dealer and it always tests within specs for all measures.

thanks for your consideration!

txwillie

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:41:06 am »
BUMP!

I'd like some feedback on dadofrad's point # 3 above. I've had this issue with cloudy water when the pumps run since I've had the tub. Starts just a week or so after a fill and gets worse over time. Clears up a minute or two after the pumps shut off. I've drained and refilled at 8-10 weeks since I've had the tub for this reason. Do other bromine users have this issue?

I've posted on this several times but have not gotten a real answer or solution. I've had the water tested by more than one dealer and it always tests within specs for all measures.

thanks for your consideration!

txwillie

I had the same experiince with my old Nordic tub using bromine,  if I turned on the airators the water became milky.    The water was crystal clear otherwise. One drunken night a friend and I theorized it was due to air changing the opacity of the water. We didn't know what we were talking about, but "opacity" sounded cool. so we left it at that.
;)

What's the real deal? Anyone know?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:45:33 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

txwillie

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 10:46:32 am »
I'm pretty sure the cloudiness, milkiness, opacity or whatever is entrained, very small air bubbles, but what is that cause? Why does it happen after a few weeks, and not right from the start?  Per dadofrad, it does not happen unless you use bromine. Is that true?

txwillie

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 10:56:57 am »
I'm pretty sure the cloudiness, milkiness, opacity or whatever is entrained, very small air bubbles, but what is that cause? Why does it happen after a few weeks, and not right from the start?  Per dadofrad, it does not happen unless you use bromine. Is that true?

txwillie

I see that effect as my water gets older I use Dichlor.  As far as test strips after shocking, I don't test for 24 hours after shocking.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 10:56:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42