What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping Consumers ONLY  (Read 7407 times)

J._McD

Shopping Consumers ONLY
« on: June 12, 2005, 02:53:56 pm »
Shopping consumers, I, along with others, would like to digress from other issues here and take the time to answer some of your inquiring concerns.  Many shoppers come on the web and admit to lurking in the background for months as they learn about what others ask.  

As you will see, this forum will represent one of the most interesting cross sections of information, opinions, selling approaches, tactics and styles that are all opinionated.  Some are trying to help, some are trying to influence but rest assured none of them will profit as much as you will in your quest to learn.  

Ask us a question, you will receive back information that will be read by all and is subject to scrutiny.  The information will be challenged by other web participants that will only contribute to your understanding in your eagerness to learn more about your purchase while you seek to search out the best Hot Tub for you and your family.

What are YOUR issues of concern SHOPPING FOR A HOT TUB?  Do they center on Product, Price, Sales Presentation Issues or Styles,  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 03:17:27 pm by J._McD »

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping Consumers ONLY
« on: June 12, 2005, 02:53:56 pm »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Shopping Consumers ONLY
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 02:59:26 pm »
Well put!! ;D
-SpaMan~

shppn4spa

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 09:23:32 pm »
Are you asking rhetorical questions or do you really want the newbies to answer?

themoc

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 10:39:33 pm »
My wife and I are in the middle of a backyard remodeling project. My wife's mom died of cancer at age 57 this year and she left us a little bit of money, which we are using to relandscape our backyard.

As part of the remodel, we are considering buying a hot tub. We have a walkout basemant, and there is a spot right outside the basement door that would be perfect for a tub. I am 6"3, and the idea of a tub sounds nice to me!

We've been doing research for about a month, and are not convinced that this is a purchase we will make. It just so happens that the 2 dealers closest to me are Sundance and Hot Springs, and we've visited both.  Of the 2, we liked Hot Springs better, but only because the salespeople seemed less like salespeople trying to pawn off crap and more like people who were just there to facilitate the spa selling itself.

We don't necessarily have a budget in mind. I could spend $6K, but I could also spend $8K if the additional dollars spent would give me peace of mind which, afterall, seems to be the point of owning a spa. No sense buying a tub to relax in if you are constantly worried about it busting.

For me, I will not make a purchase of this scale without first feeling comfortable that what I am buying will last. As a complete outsider, I have to say that reading these message boards does not make me want to go out and spend several thousand dollars on a hot tub.  The amount of bickering and back stabbing that I read on these boards makes me feel bad about the entire industry.

I want a quality product, at a competitive price, with good customer service. Whether I am buying a TV or a hot tub or a hamburger, it makes no difference.  I'll continue "lurking" until I feel confidant that such a thing even exists.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 11:13:15 pm »
Very well put. The most important thing on any purchase is to first be informed and second to shop around. There are many great spa companys out there but until you narrow your search down and see the spa in person (preferably wet test), you will not know if "it is the one" for you or not. This is especially true when you are looking to spend $5,000 - $10,000. We are very happy with our choice of spa (05' Sundance Majesta) and we definitely did our homework prior to purchase.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 11:14:08 pm »
You have hit upon two very good brands of tubs.

Go with a wet test and decide which has the features you like. Maybe I should put it this way:

Go with the one which has the features you don't think you could live without.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 11:29:09 pm »
I have to say that reading these message boards does not make me want to go out and spend several thousand dollars on a hot tub.

I have absolutely no ties to the hottub industry what-so-ever.

My wife and I purchased a tub last summer. This web-site was quite a valuable resource in that purchase (and continues to be). The amount of bickering that has occurred lately is not really typical of this forum in general.

Regardless, I feel compelled to tell you that when my wife and I are relaxing in our wonderful spa, letting the worries of the day slip away, the last thing on our minds is the bickering dealers.

It was one of our best purchases. Don't let this banter negatively influence your decision to purchase a tub.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 08:15:22 am »
Yes, shopping for a hot tub is an unusual experiance. I think worst than shopping for a car. Regardless of brand
quality was the first thing on my mind. Second was dealer. I am so happy with my purchase and my dealer.
Lucky for us we made the right choice. The importance of a good dealer came when I had water problems. I feel today it was a combination of two things. 1st. first water batch. 2nd. with knowing nothing about water, I feel a little of this and a pinch of that got me in trouble.
Yes, my dealer coached me with the chemicals and all but I still got in trouble. I think Your first bach of water is a good learning experiance and should be changed within 30 days.

My dealer took extra time with me on chemical usage.
I am admitting fully here that I am no water contol guru.
But, I do have great water and NO PROBLEMS. I don't even bother with the test trips. I drive past my dealer twice a day minimum. If it's been 3 weeks or so I will stop in with a water sample and withing 5 minutes I am in my car and I have a expert opinion of my water condition. And how to correct it if needed.

Now If I bought my spa from a big box discount store
and price, price, price as my deal. Well, lets just say I am glad it is not me.

I am sold on dealer support. So my opinion has changed
brand and dealer support are both #1. After that everything else will fall into place. If a dealer will not let you wet test. Head for the door your conversation is over.

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 09:04:10 am »
Shppn4aspa, no it is not rhetorical, it is what has been going on here for a long time.  Obviously, it has digressed from that and it needs to return to the proper agenda.  As you can see, you will get spontaeneous answers that you will need to decode, but the information can be invaluable to your shopping interest.

Themoc, There are a lot of shoppers out there that don't know what to look at or who to trust, as you can see, there is no neutural party but some of us do try.

With out question, everyone of my customer will tell you it was the best decision they ever made in their lifetime.  They speak from the experience of what a Hot Tub does for them.  You benefit from relaxing in Hot Water and what it does to and for the body can not be duplicated in any other form.

Call either of the dealers you mention and ask if you can water test their spa.  Go in at the end of the day with an open mind, not to listen to the sales approach, but to JUST soak in a Hot Tub without the interest in buying.

Experience what I am saying and what you are considering.  If it does nothing for you or yours buy a plasma TV.  I think you will experience one of the best nights sleep that you have had in a long time.  Just try one out and let that be your guide.

JC and aaahhh, both indicate it is worthy of your investigation.  What you read and learn on this board indicates that it is not a simple decision when it should be.  By a good one, and buy it from a good dealer.  If you can put some of these negative issues aside, you will find the experience to be similar to JC's and aaahhh's.  

If by chance you inquire of a controversial issue or brand, yes all sorts of responses will occur, which is exactly the resaon you want to ask.  Don't you want to know the truth. ???

themoc

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 12:14:40 pm »
Truth, like Beauty, seems to be in the eye of the beholder. The truth is we will probably buy a Hot Springs tub, if we do in fact buy one. I know we can get cheaper somewhere else, but I agree with the consensus that a reputable brand and a quality dealer are worth it.

We'll test soak the tubs in the $6 - $8K range and see if we can find a winner.

Is there anything else worth considering in this price range? Might be a different topic, but is there any advantage to ordering online?

spaman--

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 12:27:16 pm »
 Just to say you did.You may try wet testing the CalSpa.I am not trying to sell you on anything,but if you have the opportunity?I do agree that  the other two other brands are very good,why not throw in a "woldcard"?
-SpaMan~

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 12:31:50 pm »
themoc.

I've owned a used POS tub for awhile and have spent the past few months trying to figure out the whole hot tub buying thing.  This forum helped me. My new Tiger RIver Caspain should be deliverd in the next week or so.

Based on my own expereince over the past few months, I  think you should be able  to find a nice tub in the 7-8K range.  

Take a look at the HS vanguard. I was very impressed with it, but when I wet tested it, it didn't "fit" well. I ended up with the the Tiger River Caspain. good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 01:41:51 pm »
I am NOW in the selling mode, ;D

Water Test a Bahia or a Palermo at a SD dealer IF you are looking for a "worldcard", compare them to what your looking at, flip a coin, YOU CAN NOT LOOSE. ;D

shabba34

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 01:50:33 pm »
"Wildcard"  "Wildcard"  "Wildcard" ;)

spaman--

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 02:16:05 pm »
Sorry I get excited!Please excuse my sometimes poor grammer.I have a  typing inpediment.My middle finger is the only one that works."Wildcard-wild card"I got it thanks! :-[
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 02:16:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42