What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 88 Degrees and rising  (Read 7135 times)

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
88 Degrees and rising
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:32:03 pm »
Hello all,

Our deck construction was completed on Friday, and our new 2005 Sundance Majesta is now sitting on its spot right outside our family room window.  The tub is full and the water has risen from 74 degrees to 88 in about 2 hours.  I plan on getting in once it hits 90.  The stereo works great, all the jets and lights seem to be working.  The start up kit contains about 20 different bottles of chemicals.  I was told to put 4 ounces of chlorine and 4 ounces of PH down before getting in.  There is a spot for bromine tablets inside the filter housing but no bromine was included in the start up kit.  Do I need bromine tablets in adition to the chlorine and CD ozonator?  Thanks in advance.

Frankeyboy

Hot Tub Forum

88 Degrees and rising
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:32:03 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: 88 Degrees and rising
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:49:07 pm »
Your dealer probably set you up with dichlor, so you wouldn't need bromine.  The dispenser is built in on the Sundance's.  
Didn't your dealer walk you thru water maintenance when they set up your spa?  If not, call them up ask what your regimen is.
Brewman
Brewman

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:21:44 pm »
They gave me a sheet with water care instuctions and went over it with me before they left.  They didnt mention anything about dichlor, or bromine.  There is a container of activator that I am supposed to use after each use.  I guess I need to give them a call to clarify if I need to use dicholor or bromine.  Thanks.

Frankeyboy

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:27:33 pm »
4 oz of Chlorine?  Sounds like a lot, I don't put that much in my 425 gallon spa to shock.  Isn't the Majesta a 4 person spa?  Do you know the PH of your water now, hard to say about the 4 oz of PH down, did they test your existing water to come to that conclusion? Looks like a great tub, I look forward to reading what you have to say about it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:39:21 pm »
The Majesta is rated at 5-6 adults, but I think that 6 would be a tight fit.  It hold 375 gallons.  The directions say to add 2-4 oz of chlorine once the temp reached 80 degrees and 4-6 ounces of PH down.  They did not test the water, so I assume they know that the water in the area is hard and the PH high.  I know this was the case when I was adjusting the PH on our fish tanks.   The directions then say to add 2oz of PH down each day until it comes into range.  After each use I add 2-4 oz of activator for 1-2 people.  Or 2-4 oz of chlorine for 3 or more people.  After the PH is in range I add 1/2 cap of natural clear per week.   24 hours later add 2-4 oz of Defender per week.  I am not sure what these additives are supposed to do, or what chemicals they contain, I am just reading from the sheet I was given.  Thanks for your time.  I will post a review in a few weeks.  

Frankeyboy

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 02:50:50 pm »
Had my Optima delivered to day also - temp is about 82

My instruction sheet stated - 2 oz of chlorine and 6 oz of Ph down

Even though my deck is totally finished - we are using the tub tonight

r100rs

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 02:59:13 pm »
Ok, I was thinking of a smaller tub.  I guess this sheet was written by your local dealer? If so, from experience, he/she must know that your normal starting PH is high, where as  in my area, it usually starts out low.  There is a good point in there to add the PH down and check the next day.  A common rookie mistake is to add a PH product, and recheck to soon. If you do that you end up chasing the ph all over the place as it takes about 24 hours to settle after adding UP or DOWN.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 06:22:46 pm »
Congrats Frankeyboy!! We also have a Majesta and LOVE it!! We got ours on May 25th and it is awesome. We also are having a second tier deck that is being built and almost finished now!! We have been enjoying the spa the whole time while the deck was being built and it is awesome to see the transformation of an idea turn into reality. Do you have any pics of your spa/deck combo? I would love to see what ideas you had for yours. I want to post pictures but still not sure how. I know I asked this question before but can someone tell me how to post pictures and what site I have to go to for uploading photos I took? Currently, my spa/deck photos are on "my computer" and not posted to any site. Thanks!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 07:31:42 pm »
May you always have clean, hot, bubbly water!!!

Enjoy spatopia!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 12:29:01 am »
Payton,

Our Majesta is sitting on a 90% complete pressure treated pine deck.  The deck is approximately 610 square feet and wraps around what used to be a screened porch.  I am currently converting the screened porch into a sun room.  I think I figured out how to post a picture.  This one really only shows the tub.  I will try to take one in the morning that will show more of the deck and sun room.  Eventually I would like to add custom railing and and a semi private privacy screen to either end of the deck.  

Frankeyboy
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:16:00 am by frankeyboy »

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 01:16:57 am »
Woohoo!  Finally figured out how to post a photo!  Lots more to come in the AM.

Frankeyboy

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 08:18:31 am »
Frankey, the 'chlorine' he gave you is most likely dichlor.  I have been using strictly dichlor with ozone and N2 for the past two years without any problems.  What are the ingredients in the 'activator'.  It might be dichlor as well.   The 'natural clear' sounds like a water clarifier but I have found if you maintain your water properly there really is not a need for it.  And the 'defender' may be some sort of scale and stain preventative which is not a bad idea.  I have found that less is best when adding chemicals to my water.  Dont over do it and you will fall into a very simple routine within a month or two.  

Also dont worry if you lose control of your water within the first month.  Your spa is going to be getting ALOT of use more than likely these next couple of weeks so some here recommend a water change after the first month which is not a bad thing.

Good luck and enjoy.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 08:31:08 am »
I'm guessing the activator is an MPS product, but I'm still concerned that 2-4 oz daily after use by 1-2 people seems way too high to me.   Anyone else think that or am I just having another brain dead moment?

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 09:30:58 am »
The products I was given in our kit are made by GLB and are call the Rednezvous complete spa care system.  The activate "shock treats without Chlorine".  The active ingredient is Potassium Peroxymonosulfate (32.8%).
The "chlorinating concentrate" that I am using has Sodium Dichlor-s-Triazinetrione Dihydrate (99%) as the active ingredient.

After testing the water for the first time today the PH and alkalinity are off the scale on the high side (which was to be expected with our hard water).  The total FCI (free chlorine ppm) is 0.  Should I be concerned about this since I added 4 oz of chlorine less than 24 hours ago?

Frankeyboy

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 10:27:10 am »
I'm guessing the activator is an MPS product, but I'm still concerned that 2-4 oz daily after use by 1-2 people seems way too high to me.   Anyone else think that or am I just having another brain dead moment?

I totally agree with you!!!  I used MPS with my first spa and it was a matter of a couple tablespoons, not ounces, that was added after use.

Frankeyboy, When I switched to a dichlor system, the amount of dichlor that I added every day was 1/2 - 1 teaspoon in my 400 gallon spa.    If you start adding 4 ounces of dichlor, you're going to be waiting a long time before you'll be able to use the tub again - that is, until the chlorine level is down to under 5 ppm or so.  

Also, using MPS causes the total dissolved solids in your water to rise very rapidly, causing you to have to change the water more frequently.  Just something to keep in mind.

By the way, the spa looks beautiful!!!

Susan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 10:27:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42