What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: please Chas, a little help again  (Read 7315 times)

joking103

• It's too cold!
please Chas, a little help again
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
Chas,

My husband went to check at the supply house (two different ones) for the Sub panel  Square D and GE they said they never heard of a split 20/30 only the 50 for spa's.
As I posted in my original GFCI topic, the first HS dealer said $400 (not such a nice guy)  :'(  The other dealer Caldera said $150 and of course we'd still like a better deal, if there is one to be had.  

If you can help with a GE or square D P/N or otherwise please advise.  Thanks a bunch!

I gotta get this thing plugged in!   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

please Chas, a little help again
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »

shabba34

Re:  please Chas, a little help again
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 03:05:04 pm »
Chas,

My husband went to check at the supply house (two different ones) for the Sub panel  Square D and GE they said they never heard of a split 20/30 only the 50 for spa's.
As I posted in my original GFCI topic, the first HS dealer said $400 (not such a nice guy)  :'(  The other dealer Caldera said $150 and of course we'd still like a better deal, if there is one to be had.  

If you can help with a GE or square D P/N or otherwise please advise.  Thanks a bunch!

I gotta get this thing plugged in!   ;D

A t the supply house, it is not called a 20/30 split breaker box.  It is called a 4-8 circuit, rain tight 100 amp panel, and the two seperate 2 pole 20 and 30 amp gfci breakers.  The most expensive items are the breakers. ;)

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:34:40 pm »
right separate parts, I get that.   But why 100 AMP panel if you only need 50?  I apologize in advance if that is a dumb question  :-[

I did find just the breakers $$$ does that mean that 150 may actually be the good "deal"?  Me and my deals...  Yeash!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 03:49:05 pm »
Don't worry about the rating of the panel.   I'm not sure if you could even find a 4/8 panel rated at 50 amps, 100 sure won't hurt.  Just make sure it's rated for outdoor use, and is compatible with the brand of breakers you have.
Brewman
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 03:53:49 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 04:28:33 pm »
Yeah, the average electrician will also try to tell you that he has never heard of a spa needing two breakers. I deal with that all the time.

You just need any raintite 'load center' or 'sub panel,' and two breakers. The breakers need to be GFCI-type breakers and they need to be: a 20amp two pole and a 30 amp two pole.

If that is what the Caldera guy is offering for $150, then you had better grab it. Those breakers alone could cost you more than that!

Just double check that the Caldera guy is offering a 20/30 and not a single 50.

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 04:48:13 pm »
Chas,

Is there any difference between the sub-panel for the Caldera Spas and the Hotspring Spas?  

If there isn’t a difference why are you Hotspring dealers getting almost 3 times as much as Caldera dealers for practically the same product?  Is this the Hotspring premium everyone talks about?

Thanks,

Chris

Please take last paragraph jokingly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 05:01:21 pm by Chris_H »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 05:39:05 pm »
I sell the sub panel at my cost,  most dealers mark them up the same as other merchandise.

I am usually selling the sub panel to facilitate a sale, or a move of a spa I formerly sold etc.

The new tubs come with them.

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 05:42:10 pm »
I sell the sub panel at my cost,  most dealers mark them up the same as other merchandise.

I am usually selling the sub panel to facilitate a sale, or a move of a spa I formerly sold etc.

The new tubs come with them.

Is the sub-panel any different though?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 05:54:15 pm »
Nope - although there is a part number for a Caldera sub panel which contains only one breaker: a 50 amp, two-pole, GFCI type breaker. This was used on older Caldera and certain of the current "HotSpot" tubs. Be sure you don't get this one if you need the 20/30 split unit.

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 07:51:17 am »
O.K. my husband is going to the dealer today.  He knows about the wiring he's been walking around showing everyone the schematic, :D they say they've never seen anything like it.  

The lady I spoke with at the dealership, I told her about the split, when I asked.  She did say we would not find it anywhere.  She also asked for the model, year and serial number, so I (hate to) but would assume that it is the 20/30.  It may also help that the previous owners bought the spa from this particular dealer, maybe.  

I did tell her about the HS dealer with the $400 price, she said, he may have thought installed I said nope, my thoughts are and it didn't make a whole lot of sense is that I bought the spa used, it is a Caldera not a HS, I spent no money at his place so he would get it another way.  Unfortunitely he would have been a good place or me to buy supplies as he is closer than the Caldera dealer, but now he may as well be in china I am not going there, ducks or no ducks  ;D

whatever he may have thought, he was very rude to me and I am not a super sensitive person.

I do thank all of you for your responses.  Jo

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 09:05:46 am »
Chas,

When did they change from a straight 50 to a split?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 11:27:22 am »
When they went to the 'Advent' control box in 2001.

Blue cover? Split sub panel.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 11:27:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42