What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa pad size???  (Read 20200 times)

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
spa pad size???
« on: June 25, 2005, 08:50:35 pm »
I'm planning on getting a 7' spa and had a question about the size of pad I should build. It will be 6" thick cement with 6 footings to help support the weight . I was planning on building it 8x8 but would like to know what others have done.

thanks in advance for your help and comments

Hot Tub Forum

spa pad size???
« on: June 25, 2005, 08:50:35 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: spa pad size???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 09:40:01 pm »
Although it's not a concrete pad, I did put my tub on it's own deck.

The tub is 92"x92" and I built the deck 96"x96" (8'x8') to have a little extra room.  I would build a pad slightly larger than the tub and take into consideration any steps and the sides for lifting the cover.

Just my 2 cents!

Good Luck!

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 10:12:32 pm »
Because you decision is in concrete, I would recommend 8'6" x 10'6" to cover all of your bases.  this leaves adequate room for steps and maybe a side bar and always leaves the option of a gazebo.  Better to plan ahead and be prepared just in case.  Otherwise, minimum size would be the dimension of the spa plus 6" around.  It really depends on what you will want to do in the future, but 1 or 2 extra yards now leaves the options open.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 11:29:05 pm »
I'd say J._McD covered it. I'd go bigger because it wont cost that much more and you give yourself options.

I did a 16x20.

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 01:00:53 am »
Because you decision is in concrete, I would recommend 8'6" x 10'6" to cover all of your bases.  this leaves adequate room for steps and maybe a side bar and always leaves the option of a gazebo.  Better to plan ahead and be prepared just in case.  Otherwise, minimum size would be the dimension of the spa plus 6" around.  It really depends on what you will want to do in the future, but 1 or 2 extra yards now leaves the options open.

Good idea. I am limited on space where I am going to put the spa but 8'6" x 10'6" should be doable. Thanks and any other suggestions on what I shoud include would be great.

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 01:06:16 am »
What about grounding the pad? ??? I read about doing that somewhere. Also will I need a permit? Live in SoCal if that helps. Close to D1 manufacturing and I think Sundance and others. Wonder if I could get a tour and wherehouse pricing? lol  ;)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 08:20:16 am »
Check with your local building code enforcement people, either your county or city.  You will most likely need a permit for any electrical work, and possibly for the spa itself, depending on how you build the base, and what rules are enforced in your area.  
In my city, all that's needed is an electrical permit.
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 01:40:42 pm »
Just as a design factor (if you have the space), I'm planning on a pad 2' larger all the way around (after allowing for steps and the cover in its lifter (if I get the SD Max one that folds over the end...)).

My idea is that I don't want to be walking on wet grass/semi-mud before/after being in the spa and putting the cover on/off, etc.  I think 2' is a good allowance to be able to stay on a hard surface.

What think about this sort of plan?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 01:41:17 pm by leesweet »
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 01:49:46 pm »
Should work fine, it all depends on what fits for your situation.  We have patio blocks surrounding our spa for a walk around, and decorative granite rock on the perimiter.  As long as your spa is adequately supported, go for it.
Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:53:48 pm »
We definitely plan on having the entire pad supported/reinforced as discussed here last week or so... I just wanted, in general, to have the room to be able to put the cover on/off without getting grass and gravel all over my feet!  :)

Thanks for the feedback!
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:53:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42