What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Spa..GFCI PANEL help please  (Read 13126 times)

joking103

• It's too cold!
Caldera Spa..GFCI PANEL help please
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:00:35 am »
Let me start with this, I am not new here and a few may remember me, hubby not willing to pay the big bucks for the spa of my choice.  Then it happened a used 2002 (date puchased) Caldera Geneva utopia fell in my lap for $3,000, even hubby couldn't refuse as it looked brand new (and full of water (no leaks) very well maintained.  It is now on my patio and empty....Just want to say thanks for your help and opinions on the  tubs.

So here's the deal they did not give us the GFCI  breaker box.  Where can we get one and I can speak for my husband when I say "cheap"   ;D  He ain't so bad.. hee hee.    Is the breaker box supplied by Caldera, a specific brand?  Private label?  We want the correct box for the spa, and electrician friend suggested a straight 50 amp box, but the orginal spa one we think was a total of 50 but it appears to be split 20/30??  Let me know what we can do please.

Thanking you in advance, Jo

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Spa..GFCI PANEL help please
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:00:35 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Caldera Spa..GFCI PANEL help please
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:02:02 am »
I was able to find a 50 amp model made just for spas at Home Depot.  I don't remember the exact price, but know it was under $100.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 09:26:40 am »
congrats!! you got an incredible deal (as long as everything works correctly) you can get the gfci boxes at any home center, home depot, lowes, etc. i had to run a 60 amp cable (direct burial) down thew side of my garage and around the back about 10 ft to connect to the new gfci for the tub. i figured while i was digging anyway, i went ahead and ran a second cable, and hung another 50 amp subpanel (1-20 amp and 3-10amp breakers). it was $65 at lowes.
i am most of the way thru a big backyard make over, and this gives me easy access to power for additional lighting, the fountain that will go into the pond (at some future point), easy access for the weed eater (small yard, no need for gas model)
not to mention being able to plug in my power tools while i am/was building all this stuff !!

shabba34

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 09:37:32 am »
GE and Square D boxes are available.(Try an electrical supply house) That spa does require 20/30 two pole gfci breakers in the disconnect.  (6 wire run to the spa, not a 4 like most)  Contact your local Caldera/Hotspring dealer and see if maybe they have a used one available at a reduced price.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 09:51:45 am by pkud »

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 09:53:02 am »
O.K. But is it a split panel 20/30 or just 50?  O.K. I don't know the correct electrical terminolgy, but her goes.  If say everything but the heater hooks up to the 20 amp and the heater to the 30 amp, but we install 50 amp if the heater malfunctions but does not trip the breaker until 50 amps, would that cause damage to the heater?  Is this correct.

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 09:55:03 am »
Oops sorry must have been writing while you were.  Thanks that is what I needed to here split.  I will try the dealer too.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:23:44 am »
You can get the box from a HotSpring dealer or a Caldera dealer, they use the same box. Price the same componants at a supply house or a home center - the dealer is usually the lowest price by far.  If not, let me know.  Also, there is a detailed wiring diagram on the inside of the control box cover. Make sure you use the one that applies to your model by checking the spa serial number - the first few letters are the model designator.

Yes - as was noted above - it is going to split 20/30.
Yes - as was noted above - the 20 and the 30 need to be 2-pole breakers, GFI type.

The sub panel should be no closer than five feet from the water, and it's best if it's in the same general area as the spa, in fact if it's within sight of the tub you get the grand prize.

Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal on a great spa. May you soak soon, and often.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:04:04 am »
You can get the box from a HotSpring dealer or a Caldera dealer, they use the same box. Price the same componants at a supply house or a home center - the dealer is usually the lowest price by far.  If not, let me know.  Also, there is a detailed wiring diagram on the inside of the control box cover. Make sure you use the one that applies to your model by checking the spa serial number - the first few letters are the model designator.

Yes - as was noted above - it is going to split 20/30.
Yes - as was noted above - the 20 and the 30 need to be 2-pole breakers, GFI type.

The sub panel should be no closer than five feet from the water, and it's best if it's in the same general area as the spa, in fact if it's within sight of the tub you get the grand prize.

Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal on a great spa. May you soak soon, and often.

Chas the HS dealer in Billing was far more for the GFI breaker than Lowes, his was 100 bucks I got the 2 pole 50 amp breaker at Lowes for $77.36 (I cheated and looked at the receipt), but with the Caldera and hs do you have to split? and why>?

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 11:21:49 am »
It was quite some time ago, I first posted but I do remember you Chas and Obi.   I believe that eveyone calls on you Chas, for the expert Caldera/Hot Spring advise.  (I forget why?? )  Thanks for the advise you guys.  I will check with the dealer first before the supply house.  

I am feeling really good about this purchase the previous owner had the tub running, hot and she played with all the controls so we could see what it does and it did all the things it should (of course it is my dream tub so I already knew) And I got bags and bags of chemicals to boot.  free delivery too..  ;D my husband rigged the backhoe up to lift it and trucked it home.  Nothing is ever really free  ::)

I feel like I stole it!  It has swallowed up our, what we thought was large, patio.  And I don't even care  ;)  I really can't wait, but I got the speech we're busy this week and the week of the 4th away on vacation. drats it will be a couple weeks, no pouting I promise it here, I am not dreaming and it's not from Costco, so I'll be patient!  

Sorry so long, I digress, I will be back I am sure for a crash course in chemicals.  With two fish tanks (72/10G) I should be a quick study.  

Obi sounds like a great yard, Oh a pond, Nice, if I ask my husband for one more item that hold enormous amounts of water he will flip, besides I am still working him for the inground pool.  

Stay cool , Jo

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 11:38:56 am »
Now you just can't shut me up!

One more thing please they left the cable that ran from the tub to the GFCI box, that ought to save us some trouble right?  

shabba34

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 11:41:32 am »
Now you just can't shut me up!

One more thing please they left the cable that ran from the tub to the GFCI box, that ought to save us some trouble right?  

As long as the whip is long enough..  And has 6 wires in it.

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 04:44:25 pm »
Chas,

I called hot spring dealer he said the GFCI is $400.00.
They're not cheap you know he said we just don't have them lying around.  

I guess I didn't expect to hear $400.00 is this the real price?

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 04:46:38 pm »
Chas,

I called hot spring dealer he said the GFCI is $400.00.
They're not cheap you know he said we just don't have them lying around.  

I guess I didn't expect to hear $400.00 is this the real price?

Thats rediculous!!
-SpaMan~

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 04:50:14 pm »
Yep it is.  And I tried to PM chas but it keeps saying reserved for members, it doesn't work for some reason.  Any way I almost fell off my chair!   ???

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 04:54:05 pm »
Yep it is.  And I tried to PM chas but it keeps saying reserved for members, it doesn't work for some reason.  Any way I almost fell off my chair!   ???

I PM'd him but all I got back was snoring sounds from my computer.
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 04:54:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42