What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How many tablets does it take??!!!!  (Read 6473 times)

Revlis

How many tablets does it take??!!!!
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:13:56 pm »
I'm using the built in feeder in my Cameo for my Bromine tablets...  

I'm up to five bromine tablets now, and even if I don't use the tub, I can't keep it above even 1ppm bromine.

Any advice?  That feeder doesn't seem to get much water to go through it....  seems to all go OVER it.  Shouldn't 5 tablets be enough?

Hot Tub Forum

How many tablets does it take??!!!!
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:13:56 pm »

Soakin

Re: How many tablets does it take??!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 03:41:13 pm »
Like I mentioned in FLTUB's post, I don't know the SD built in system, but my understanding is that when you fill a bromine tub, you have to add sodium bromide to establish a reserve.  Does your system require that?
What setting you have the feeder at?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 01:58:19 pm by Soakin »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 05:15:29 pm »
The feeder itself might be plugged. It doesn't matter so much the number of pucks in the feeder but rather the setting it's at... Maybe check that. ???

As Soakin mentioned, if you haven't established a good bromine level with sodium bromide, you're in an uphill battle to get a good reading. When was the last time you shocked and what product are you using?

Steve

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 05:41:57 pm »
It will take some trial and error to get things going right with the feeder. Pucks are slow dissolving and are excellent at maintaining a bromine level. As mentioned above, some sodium bromide may help, or better yet some bromine concentrate.

Homeworks Financing Representative

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 06:39:57 pm »
I recommend using the bromine floater to help you maintain more of a constant level of bromine.  You will need to use a Bromine Concentrate to get the bromine level up to the recommended levels.  

Soakin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 06:55:03 pm »
...some sodium bromide may help, or better yet some bromine concentrate.
What is the difference between the two?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 07:25:47 pm »
Sodium bromide is a liquid that contains bromine salts. These salts require activation by a catalyst whereas a bromine concentrate combines both products and gives an immediate bromine residual in one product. The quantities required are much less in a concentrate form also.

Steve

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 09:50:57 pm »
Do you have an ozonator?

Ozone is a fantastic catalyst to activate your bromine (shock does the job as well) ... I've never used Sodium bromide nor bromine concentrate to acheive a good bromine level.
e

Revlis

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 01:23:58 pm »
I have the activator in there, I have a CD ozonator, but don't have the "floater" you guys are talking about.

I use the built in one on the Sundance Cameo.  I'm using the "spa specialties" I think it's called.  If I shock, it gets up to 3 to 5ppm... but then with the tabs in there it goes down to 0 or 1ppm very quickly it seems, even if I haven't used it.

Soakin

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 01:49:58 pm »
A few questions:  Are your pH, Alkalinity, and hardness where they are supposed to be?  What is in your shock and how much are you using?  What is the setting on the feeder?  Are the pucks eroding in the feeder?  (They should over time.)  If not, as Steve suggested, make sure the feeder isn't plugged.  (Water needs to be able to wash through and pick up bromine.)

The other possibility is an infection in the tub.  The fact that your levels drop quickly makes me think that the bromine is getting used up trying to fight off an invader.  Super-sanitizing (I prefer dichlor, but the the suggestions re: sodium bromide/bromine concentrate make sense, too -- see FLTUB's similar thread) until you are able to maintain a good residual is the next thing to do after checking the feeder.

Good luck!  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 01:55:01 pm »
I dont' think the built in dispenser is adjustable.  I have the Optima, which is a very similar spa, and it doesn't look adjustable, nor is it mentioned in the owners manual.
Brewman
Brewman

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 05:10:02 pm »
That is correct, it is not adjustable. I have the Sundance Majesta and it is the same. I believe all Sundance's have the same bromine feeder but I could be wrong.

Revlis

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 09:26:57 am »
A few questions:  Are your pH, Alkalinity, and hardness where they are supposed to be?  What is in your shock and how much are you using?  What is the setting on the feeder?  Are the pucks eroding in the feeder?  (They should over time.)  If not, as Steve suggested, make sure the feeder isn't plugged.  (Water needs to be able to wash through and pick up bromine.)

The other possibility is an infection in the tub.  The fact that your levels drop quickly makes me think that the bromine is getting used up trying to fight off an invader.  Super-sanitizing (I prefer dichlor, but the the suggestions re: sodium bromide/bromine concentrate make sense, too -- see FLTUB's similar thread) until you are able to maintain a good residual is the next thing to do after checking the feeder.

Good luck!  

I think I really need to get a better measure of the water.  Those test strips are tough to read.

My hardness is about 150ppm, alk and PH are steady in the ideal range.  I don't remember off hand the exact chems I'm using for shock.  I'll look that up.  The tabs do indeed erode over time.

The Cameo doesn't have a setting for the feeder.  It's just a small container over which water runs on it's way to the filter.  It's built into the "floating dam" that let's only the top inch of water or so get into the filter compartment.

Even though my bromine ppm is seemingly always low... the weekly shock, ozone etc. keeps the water clear.

I'm only on my first fill of the tub so far.  The first filter got extremely dirty extremely fast....   after two weeks I replaced with new ones....  the new ones have been staying very clean.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 11:19:09 am »
Even though my bromine ppm is seemingly always low... the weekly shock, ozone etc. keeps the water clear.

Revlis, it sounds like you got things under control.

A bromine level of 0.5 - 1.0ppm  is accepted by many as adequate in a tub with ozone. I keep my level around 0.5ppm (jumping up with weekly shocking) and I've never had a problem... except one time when the ozonator wasn't working.
e

Revlis

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 11:14:35 am »
Ok.. thanks empolgation.

Do you run your ozone 24/7?  Mine cycles on 4 times a day.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 11:14:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42