What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: You know.....  (Read 4522 times)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
You know.....
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:06:38 pm »
I've been listening and responding to alot of these threads on here and the one thing I have noticed is that some of these tubs it seems that they are high mantainence with the sanitizer, shock stuff, and all that. why is this?

And why is it my Coleman dealer told me not to fret easy as pie to mantain

Hot Tub Forum

You know.....
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:06:38 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: You know.....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:12:25 pm »

It will be as easy as pie eventually, buit it seems like everyone goes through a curve where they tend to over manage their water.  A lot of people try to get their readings all to a specific number. I go for a range.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:12:57 pm »
Ok so I can expect to have problems mantaining the waters balance at first, we are going with Bromine because hubby and I our sinuses can't take the smell of clorine

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:27:59 pm »
Ok so I can expect to have problems mantaining the waters balance at first, we are going with Bromine because hubby and I our sinuses can't take the smell of clorine

IMO, you'll have more issue with bromine than with chlorine if you're worried about a chemical smelling spa. The bromine tabs have about 25% chlorine anyway and they give off a constant feed of sanitizer. With dichlor (spa chlorine) you can add it after you get out and it'll be largely dissipated by the time you go in the next day.

BTW, the sanitizing method you use is independent of the spa type you get. You sanitize a Coleman the same way you do a Sundance, Marquis, Hot Springs, etc. Each dealer has their own method but a spa is a spa as long as its similarly equipped (ozonator, Nature @, etc.).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:37:48 pm »
I to started on Bromine and MPS to shock. After a constant battle with lowering PH and TA and a constent smell of chlorine I switched to Dichlor. Yes it has to be added where bromine in a dispensor doesn't, but I bring it out when I soak or every other day or so if I don't soak, and add it after then the next time I get in, gone. No smell, no chlorine on the skin to dry it out, nothing.
Retired

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 06:16:00 pm »
And you can also use chlorine and MPS.  We use MPS dailys and a single chlorine shock once a week, if it needs it.  After shocking we leave the tub cover off for 30 minutes and the jets on to get rid of the smell.  Since we do it after we use it, we don't get back in, but by the next day there is no noticable chlorine smell.

-Ed

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 06:16:51 pm »
Backpains your Coleman has a automatic bromine feeder tube under the skimmer basket. This is where your bromine tablets will go. This eliminates having a floater in the tub with you. Because it's in the filter area the water running through the filter is sanitized and filtered at the same time. I've used bromine for 11 years and have no problems with my water.

If you prefer to use chlorine you'll have to use the granular dichlor because the form of chlorine that they make the tablets in, isn't good for spas.

After times of heavy use you may need to add some bromine concentrate, but for the most part the tablets will keep up fine.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 06:26:05 pm »

After times of heavy use you may need to add some bromine concentrate, but for the most part the tablets will keep up fine.

I agree that Bromine does a fine job of santizing but I can't get beyond the chemical smell it leaves. To each his own.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 07:42:09 pm »
I to started on Bromine and MPS to shock. After a constant battle with lowering PH and TA and a constent smell of chlorine I switched to Dichlor. Yes it has to be added where bromine in a dispensor doesn't, but I bring it out when I soak or every other day or so if I don't soak, and add it after then the next time I get in, gone. No smell, no chlorine on the skin to dry it out, nothing.

Ditto!!
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:29:07 pm »
Your Coleman dealer is correct. It is easy as pie, even at the begining. Most people tend to over think their water chemistry, and attemp to make the water balance perfect. Guess what, it never will be unless you are only using it as a holding tank, and even then! Test your water 1 time a week, make your small adjustments and enjoy the tub the rest of the week, with an occasional hit with granular chlorine or bromine if you prefer. See, easy as pie. Except I have a hard time getting the crust right.

I've been listening and responding to alot of these threads on here and the one thing I have noticed is that some of these tubs it seems that they are high mantainence with the sanitizer, shock stuff, and all that. why is this?

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
;D Re: You know.....
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:58:04 pm »
Well, I added chemicals to my spa for the first time today... OMG what a chore!  ;D First 2 whole oz's of stain and scale control, then 19 oz's of alkalinity up, then 20 oz's of hardness. Finally two Bromine tabs the size of half dollars in the feeder basket. Turned on Pump #1...20 minutes later, done.

Compared that to my pool maintenance. Pounds and quarts of soda ash, alkalinity up/down, shock, algae control, etc, along with a dozen or so  3" chlorine tabs in a feeder unit that will take your breath away! And waiting hours between each application because of the tens of hundreds of gallons of water involve.

The spa chemicals are going to be a breeze. Don't worry, you will get the hang of it.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 06:48:52 am »
If I can handle water maintenance, anyone can!  Seriously!!  GeorgiaPeach?  Where are you?  ;)

Wisoki is right, small steps and you will get it!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

georgiapeach

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 09:03:35 am »
If I can handle water maintenance, anyone can!  Seriously!!  GeorgiaPeach?  Where are you?  ;)

Wisoki is right, small steps and you will get it!  

I'm here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-)  Backpains.....it's so easy to maintain your hot tub.  I was freaking when I first got mine and right before (ask anyone here...LOL)  I just knew I was going to screw something up.......turned out all my headaches were for nothing!  I have a Hot Springs Grandee and just followed my dealers advice, which is to add MPS 10 minutes prior to going into the tub (1 T. per person) and a half a capful of granulated Dichlor once a week.  I haven't had a problem since I got the tub in November.  It's going to be fine!  :-)

BTW....Love reading your posts...you make me laugh!  :-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 09:03:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42