What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What turns you ON/OFF  (Read 5667 times)

J._McD

What turns you ON/OFF
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:05:20 pm »
In the interest of shopping etiquette, when you first enter a Hot Tub store what are your first impressions that turn you ON or turn you OFF.

We are not looking for brand, or dealer controversy, conflict or condemnation.  What is it that impresses the consumer on entry, or what do you notice first in your quest for “The Best Hot Tub in Town?  What are you looking for? ???

Hot Tub Forum

What turns you ON/OFF
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:05:20 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: What turns you ON/OFF
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 12:12:25 pm »
Fair enough question, shouldn't start any new controversies.

I look for a look of being established, not a look that says, "We could load up a truck and be out of here tonight!  Of  course, the first two places I visited were well known and around the area for at least 10 years.  The next place I went was the local Sundance/Jacuzzi dealer.  I remember a lot of models on the floor  The sign on the outside was was a type that said to me that they didn't just arrive here. Also there was a sign saying they were celebrating their 15th anniversary.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:25:21 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:21:17 pm »
First thing I note is the "pride of ownership"; cleanliness, organization, presentation of the staff, etc...

Then, the next thing I do is look at how they play the "price game"; do they advertise ridculous MSRPs? do they have a "great sale" on every tub? how much "mark down" are the tubs?

Turn ON:
- clear evidence of pride of ownership
- clear, up front, honest pricing

Turn OFF:
- lack of evidence of pride of ownership
- price games
e

Ritz

• Vanguard 2004
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:27:08 pm »
turn ons
- clean bathrooms!!!
- helpful salesman that don't hover.  
- prices posted
- pre site planning, delivery with spa setup and training in use/care
-pointing out advantages of your spa over competitors without bashing
- long term business, pictures of happy customers & their spas
- mood room (darkened room with twinkle lights in ceiling to mimic starry night and show off LED)
- lots of models that show color combinatons, wet test
- refreshments while wet testing

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 12:32:13 pm »

Well, I look for a free stereo!

I kid J-McD, I kid! ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:01:46 pm »
Things I expect (turn on's)

1.  I like to see store hours posted on the door, I know it sounds stupid but I want to know they are open when and if I have a problem or question.

2.  A smiling face when I walk in, and I don't just mean a salesperson, the person working the cash or taking the water samples too.

3.  Posted prices with detailed prices of options.

4.  Clean and organized.

5.  Layout, being able to walk around the entire store without having to backtrack around too much junk.

6.  Free literature available without having to ask for it.

Thing's I don't want to see (turn off's)

1.  The opposite of everything above

2.  Harrasment of any kind

3.  Arguments between staff-staff, or staff-customer.

4.  COLD TUBS
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:27:40 pm »
In addition to the above (here! here! Rayman), I look for an expereinced person behind the counter.

I hate going into a pool and spa place and have a question or need a part and the clerk looks like the it's the owners 17 year old niece who's "watching the store"  and just blinks at me when I need help.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for a re-agent kit"

Blink. Blink. Head Tilt. Blink.

Not that I have anything against 17 year old nieces watching the store  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 01:29:25 pm »
Or....sorry we don't have that in stock. We're emptying out the store  to carry our Ski and Christmas items. Come back next spring....
07 Caldera Geneva

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 01:45:02 pm »
Turn Ons:
- Clean and organized store
- Different styles and colors on display
- Wet test available
- Courteous and knowledgable staff

Turn Offs:
- Asking me where else I've looked and then bashing them
- Asking my budget or how do I plan to pay for it as soon as I arrive
- Filled tubs with the covers on so that I have to either remove it myself or ask so that I can see it
- Stacks of tubs in the parking lot

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 02:20:34 pm »
Minor turn-off--sales people that know less than I about their own products.

Major turn-off--bashing the competition instead of elaborating on the qualities of the equipment being sold.

Super turn-off--arrogant sales people.

Most sales people do not display these qualities but, IMHO, if one does display any one of these qualities, chances are they are displaying all.....
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 02:28:26 pm »
Turn ons:

Moonlit walks on the beach, honesty, a good cook.

Turn offs:  Rude people, cheapskates...

......oooops, wrong forum.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:28:41 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 02:35:02 pm »
The first wet test I did the sales guy sat on the side of the tub and wanted to talk about my truck instead of the tub ;D. It bothered me a little cause  I was already uneasy . But they did have brand new bathing suits cause I didnt have one, that was a major plus.  

Gary

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 02:40:05 pm »
...But they did have brand new bathing suits cause I didnt have one, that was a major plus.  

Gary

My dealer had new suits for both the men and ladies.   I agree: definately a plus.   My wife thought it was such  a great idea and wished we had a few around the house for guests who forget thier suits. The dealer said they'd toss in a few.
:)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:41:28 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 03:15:31 pm »
This is a good question and I had to think about it quite a bit to formulate a reply.  Perhaps the best way to start is by explaining how I went about buying my first tub.  After visiting here and Doc's site, I came up with a list of brands that one and all agreed were good ones.  Then I went to the telephone book and tried to find dealers within a reasonable distance.  This cut my original list in half.  I then called each dealer to find out their store hours, get driving directions and so forth.  In two cases, the dealers made an appointment with me so when I arrived they greeted me by name and made me feel welcomed.  In both cases of appointment, by asking me some basic questions during the initial phone conversation, they had tubs in mind that they had hot and ready for a wet test.   The dealers on my short list carried the following brands:  Jacuzzi Premium, Caldera, HotSpring, Marquis, and Sundance.  

I divulged my list and my intention to consider all of these brands to each dealer.  Every single dealer said that these were all good products and a few even said that the stores that sold them were all good stores.  I was impressed that not one of them denigrated his competition.  They all focused on asking me about my intended use, and they all spent time to carefully explain the features and benefits of their products.  Each gave convincing arguments for why their product is the best.  All were knowledgable, all were professional.  All of the stores fit the bill of clean, well lighted places.  All looked prosperous and all had a reasonable representation of the lines they sold.  All but one were single brand dealers, and even that one had a clear differentiation of their premium line from a price leader line.

After my visit, in cases where a wet test could not be accomodated right away, I made a second appointment for a wet test.  In the end, I wet tested them all.  In only two cases did the dealer follow up with phone calls and in one case a card was mailed thanking me for coming in.  I was impressed with the follow up effort.

Another thing that impressed me was an encounter with the Emerald Spa company.  I requested their catalog, which arrived very quickly.  Then the VP of Sales called to make sure that I received it and to ask if I needed the name of the nearest dealer.  When he discovered that the nearest dealer was 90 or 100 miles away, he told me that as much as he would like to have my business that it would not be in my best interests to buy from so far away. He then had his area rep call me to let me know that he had been trying to find a qualified dealer in the area, but none was on the immediate horizon.  He reiterated that in the circumstance, I should rule Emerald off my short list.  He then asked me what other brands I was considering and when I told him, he gave me a very thorough run down of each and every product, and of each local dealer for those brands!  He knew the products inside and out, and he knew each dealer by first name.  He said not one negative word in this whole impressive display of knowledge.   A year and a half later, I am still more than impressed with this company and their people.

So, in the end, what would I say are the most important things that I found in visiting these dealers?  First, the dealer needs to be reasonably local.  Second, they have to carry a good product.  Third, the people need to be professional, which I determine by:  1) Product knowledge,  both of their own and competitive products, 2) A professional demeanor (i.e. clean neat appearance, greeting the customer in a friendly not threatening manner, asking probing questions to learn what the customer wants/needs, focus on the positive and avoid  negative comments), 3) Inventory and demonstration of a representative sample of the line they sell.  

The astute reader will notice that I did not include price considerations in my list, nor a discussion of service capacity.  Price is expected to be competitive, but since I want the dealer to be in business when I need them, profit is a good thing.  Service is axiomatic to obtain a good product line, so it is my expectation that it is provided for.  Too, a quick check with the Chamber of Commerce, the Better Business Bureau, and the Consumer Affairs Office (or whatever it is called in your home state - usually a section of the Attorney General's office) will quickly uncover any kind of service shortfall.

I hope this helps.

Bill

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 04:13:31 pm »
   1-respect.
I am more than a checkbook, and i have a brain.
I may not be the typical shopper as i have owned 2 previous spas, and had some ideas as to what i did not want. i also did a fair amount of research here and elsewhere before heading out to the dealers for questions and wet tests. i am not expecting to find a $15k tub sitiing in your store for $8K.
  2-watch your window/ displays. got a good laugh from a dealer that has those huge pink signs, saying stop in today fro a great deal, LIMITED TIME ONLY!. the "pink" sign was actually a red sign, that was sunfaded from being there so long.(very obvious once youre in the store)
  3-KNOW YOUR OWN PRODUCT!!
if you are not sure of the answer to my question, dont bs me. say let me check so i can give you the best possible answer(or something like that)nobody is a walking encyclopedia, and i wouldn't expect you to be. there are multiple models, and many of those change features and designs from year to year. that being said, any sales professional should have good basic knowledge of what he sells.
example: this board and others say d-1 is very good spa. so i went to the local dealer. asked several basic questions, got vague answers. an issue brought up here was water pressure vs actual water flow. higher flow thru bigger jets or lower flow thru smaller jet kinda thing.
i asked what is the gpm flow on a particular tub. this is a real quote:"not sure let me ask my manger(sitting in an open office approx40ft away)hey whats the flow rate on these pumps?"
the BOSS shouts back(without getting up)"um, .... very good, jets can almost push you out of the seat if you want"
i said from what i had learned so far looking at several other brands, was the norm range seemed to be 140-200 gpm's.
sales guy says(i am not making this up!)"ours are definitely up there in the top range"?????
  4- dont bad mouth your competitors. tell me what makes your spa better, and why i should buy it. please don't tell me that brand "x" has had a lot of problems with "fill in the blank- jets, leaks, high cost, parts breaking,etc.... i'm not taking it at face value from you anyway, you're a very biased source.
  4-
there are several very good companies making spas.my personal favorite, and the thing that will be most likely to make me decide on your product (after wet tests, etc) when a tiebreaker is needed, is have at least a couple of customers from a year or 2 ago, who will back up your claims, as to delivery, service, operating cost, "enjoyability".

for what its worth, i shopped for almost 3 months, wet tested 14 different models, and bought a caldera niagra.
past the tub itself, a big factor was the dealer has been a pool/spa dealerfor 26 years, selling HS, caldera, tiger river, and other watkins products for the last 19 years. they were polite, answered our questions, and were patient, and provided references spanning several years. was the 4th visit spanning 2 months when we bought. pd $8k(fair price i think) for a pretty standard package:coverlifter, 6 months chems, plastic steps,etc. i did get some extra jets, and an extra filter thrown in, and put it on a credit card.(hey, 2% cash back was $162, nothing to sneeze at.)
thats my 2 cents........
well.. maybe 25 cents..... turned out much longer than i thought it would

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 04:13:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42