What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck surface preparation  (Read 5432 times)

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Deck surface preparation
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:56:59 pm »
This coming Monday our deck should be completed.  It is being constructed of pressure treated pine.  Our new Sundance majesta has arrived at the dealers warehouse and is ready for installation as soon as the deck construction is complete.  I plan to stain the deck with a semi transparent stain as soon as possible.  The instructions state that I may need to allow the pressure treated lumber to dry out for up to two weeks before staining.  Can I have the spa installed immediately or will I need to wait 2 weeks before having the spa placed on the deck and stain around the spa after the wood has dried out sufficeintly?  We really want to get the spa delivered as soon as possible, but we dont want to compromise the weather resistance of the deck by not staining under the spa.  Thanks for your help.

Frank

Hot Tub Forum

Deck surface preparation
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:56:59 pm »

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Re: Deck surface preparation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:42:26 pm »
You should definitely wait to stain the deck. Ironically enough, we also have a Sundance Majesta and are in the process of having our 2nd tier deck built around the spa. Our guy doing the deck said you should wait 3-4 months before any stain is put on the deck so it will hold to it better. You can put stain on at any time but you risk in it not holding as well to the wood as pressure treated wood is very wet. If I was you, I would have the spa installed when the deck is ready and then whenever you choose to have the deck stained, just make sure the spa and spa cover are protected with a tarp while the deck is being stained. It is similar to when painters place a tarp over furniture while painting in a room. That is what we are going to be doing. Good luck no matter what you choose and enjoy the Majesta because we sure are  ;D

samhunter

• Maxxus, Johnny walker black, Padron aniversario!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:22:52 pm »
Frankeyboy, no need to worry, what causes the pressure treated decking to crack, split, warp & shrink is drying out to quickly. so the tub sitting on it is just fine, its everywere else that needs protection.

I have heard of a water based semi- transparent stain that can be applied when the wood is still wet (new). I think its a cabot stains product.

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 11:26:45 pm »
Samhunter,

Thanks for the advice.  Cabot is the brand of Stain that I intend to use (top rated semi transparent deck stain according to Consumer Reports).  They also offer a wood cleaning product that can be used on new pressure treated wood to remove the waxy residue and allow the stain to soak in.  The only thing that may slow down the process is if the pressure treated wood is too wet to allow the stain to soak in.  I have heard from several sources not to wait much more than 2 weeks to stain the wood, otherwise the sun will begin to take its toll.  I will schedule the spa delivery for Wednesday or Thursday next week.  

Frank

NDfar

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 09:40:46 am »
I have built three decks and bought Olympic semi transparent deck stain that is for immediate use on pressure treated wood and have no problems whats so ever.  One deck is about 10 years old and has been restained twice and looks great with miminal cracking/spliting.  I just finished my spa deck on June 1st and stained it June 5th and the tub was delivered 10:30am June 6th.  The boards took the stain fine and  was dry the next morning. Also the boards will dry out through the bottom of the board since your not staining that part.  Good luck on your project and enjoy you tub next week! :)

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:55:01 am »
I have built three decks and bought Olympic semi transparent deck stain that is for immediate use on pressure treated wood and have no problems whats so ever. 

NDfar,

Did you need to use a wood cleaner on the deck before applying the olympic stain?

Frank

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 10:13:50 am »
Hi Frankeyboy:

In my last house, I put the tub directly down on "new" PT wood that was quite "green." I used a Flood product for staining the deck.  The area under the tub was as clean and pretty as the day the tub went in 4 years later when I moved the tub to my new house.

I've used a "cleaning agent" to prep wood and remove wax for tratment also. It works fine. Remember, no matter what product you use, re-treating every year is probably something you want to do anyhow.

If you have a small area of "green" lumber you want to dry quickly, cover it with clear plastic during the night and morning hours. When the afternoon sun hits it, remove the plastic and let it dry. This technique will cause the wood to "sweat," drying it faster and reducing the moisture %.

Good luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

NDfar

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 12:17:25 pm »
Frankeyboy,

No I did not use a deck wash, but it did rain on it for about 3 days.  I sanded all the color marks and the ink stamps off from the lumber mill.  Other than that what Drewski said and ideas are right on by me!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 12:17:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42