What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: '04 Sundance Cameo - Water intake question.  (Read 8689 times)

Revlis

'04 Sundance Cameo - Water intake question.
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:34:47 pm »

Pump 1 sucks in through the filter.

Pump 2 sucks in through the three sock covered inlets on the base of the tub.

Only two seem to be sucking anything in however... the middle one (opposite the light) doesn't seem to have any suction on it... even when all pumps are on full blast.

Is this normal?  Should all three have suction?  

Thanks in advance!
- Brad

Hot Tub Forum

'04 Sundance Cameo - Water intake question.
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:34:47 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: '04 Sundance Cameo - Water intake question.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 06:02:30 pm »
 Our '03 Optima is similar, having the 3 suction inlets at the bottome of the spa.  And when pump #2 is running, it pulls water in from all three inlets.  One thing I haven't tried though, is to see if the setting of the diverter valve for pump #2 has any bearing on those suction inlets.  You might try that, just to see.
Other than that, your spa is under warranty, so I'd call the dealer and ask them about it.  
This question came up several months ago, and I don't recall how the thread went.  Perhaps try searching.
Brewman
Brewman

mjb

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 06:06:05 pm »
The "third" intake is a safety
back-up intake for pump #1.

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 06:23:08 pm »
Each pump requires 2 intakes, P2 has 2 intakes in the footwell and P1 has 1 intake on the filter suction.  The second intake is in the footwell and suction is restricted by a 5 pound check valve which is an anti-entrapment safety suction fitting.  If you should have a dirty or clogged filter the check valve will open and allow suction to P1.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 06:27:18 pm by J._McD »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 06:51:37 pm »
 Hey J.McD, on the same subject:

My 2005 Optima came with a filter sock on the intake underneath the filter, but not on the three intakes around the footstool.

The manual states there should be some there; my dealer seems to be clueless on this one.  Another poster claimed his dealer said they were not necessary with the new filtration system. What have you heard?

Thanks, John

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 10:06:02 pm »
Johnvb, that is what I was told by my dealer. The 2005's have a new filtration system that no longer require the "socks" on the footwell, only in the filter bucket. Let me know if you hear anything different. I would doubt it unless there are many Sundance spa owners who did not receive all the "socks".

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 10:16:20 pm »
So, what is or was the purpose for these "socks"? A filter for the filter?

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:55:50 pm »
Apparently, the new system filters better and does not need these "socks" to catch particles. I am not 100% sure of the exact reason but maybe some of the Sundance dealers can elaborate.

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 11:35:34 pm »
Filter socks are actually suction fitting filters,  They are placed on P2 suction fittings because P2 has no relationship to the filter.   The water sucked into P2 inlets, thus, has no filter and any SAND or fine particles taken in on the feet will be sucked into the P2 suction and returned to the Jets.

Now, pay attention here, the water goes through the diverter.  This is the knob control that changes the direction of water from the therapy seat to the footwell jets in the Optima for instance.  The sock or suction filter is to prevent SAND from being sucked into the pump suction and delivered to the jets through the DIVERTER valve.  

Have you noticed the diverter getting hard to turn or grind  like a pepper mill.  Well, that is sand in the diverter.

Now, you have 2 choices, ignore it and break the valve stem, or clean it (normal maintenence) by removing the handle and unscrewing the cap and removing the "gate valve", walaa, you have just cleaned the diverter valve simply by taking it out, now put it back after wiping it off.  Now it will turn very easy.  Otherwise, ignore it, break the stem off and go into your dealer and ask if it is covered under warranty. ??? ??? NO

Now then, after you have paid for your new diverter gate valve, taken it home, and realized what those "shower caps" are actually filters, you will discover they are a PIA to put back on.  SO, put a rug or a towel on the last point of entry for the feet and wipe your feet, especially if you are on pavers.

What you will find in the diverter valve will be shingle grit, sand or anything else that your feet took in to the spa, especially if you get out.  Do you have any idea what your "WET" feet take back in?

Do you need the socks, IMHO NO, Do you need to leave the sand or grit outside, YES.

I had one customer who called, P2 was BAD and not working, no water coming out of the jets.  Drove 45 miles to find filter socks still on the suction fittings chocking of the suction supply to P2.  Did he offer to pay for our gas out there.  He sure as hell thought it should be covered under warranty.  This is where dealer service comes in.  He got off no charge. :-/

NOW, on a scale of 1 to 10, how did I do? ???
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 11:42:19 pm by J._McD »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 07:09:31 am »
Excellent explanation, J._McD

Since our tub is in an indoor spa room, I shouldn't have to worry too much about sand and grit.

Well maybe kitty litter from the cat, but I have a suspicion that once she sees that churning, bubbling bath tub from hell, she will take up permanent residence under the bed! ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 08:11:34 am »
A shallow pan of water, like a kitty litter pan, or similar, can be placed at the steps of the spa, to help get any grit off the feet before stepping into the spa.
Brewman
Brewman

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 10:41:01 am »
I always wore flip-flops to and from the spa but be warned flip-flops will freeze to your deck in the winter  :-/

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 12:22:41 pm »
Unless, as wmcall suggested to me once, buy flip-flops you can just wear into the tub!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 12:30:08 pm »
Unless, as wmcall suggested to me once, buy flip-flops you can just wear into the tub!

wouldn't that defeat the purpose of wearing them? (To prevent sand and dirt getting into the spa?)
07 Caldera Geneva

Revlis

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 01:05:34 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply J._McD and everyone else.

I feel relieved!  All socks are in place as well (although I do kick them off every now and then, and find them by the p1 filter!  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 01:05:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42