What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Variable flow control  (Read 2968 times)

JJ

• Vita Nuage
Variable flow control
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:17:22 pm »
I didn't end up buying an Artesian because of dealer issues, but they were a close second, mainly because the variable flow controls were so cool.  How do they do that?  Is is a variable speed motor or some flow diversion system?  How come other manufacturers are not offering something similar?

Hot Tub Forum

Variable flow control
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:17:22 pm »

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Variable flow control
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 10:20:07 am »
If you have control over the rpms of a motor, it probably will not last very long.  Most motors are set to run high speed at 3400 rpm's, which is a little higher rpm's than your car cruising on the interstate at 80.  It might be OK if you use high continuous HP motors, but then you might not have enough power for heat and require 60+ amp breakers to operate.  A car lasts much longer on the highway because steady rpms.  City driving is start/stop.  It's purely marketing game Artesian is playing.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:12:37 am »
Well, the water flow actually does vary, whether they use a variable speed drive or not.  I'm just wondering how they do it?  I can't find it on their web site.

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 11:40:45 am »
It is an awesome feature, but it's also incredibly simple.  The motors are single-speed, and the flow control simply allows a small amount of air to be drawn into the water stream.  And voila, this decreases the amount of water flow.  The effect is like running the water flow through the jets with a 'dimmer switch'.  Very nice.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:12:03 pm »
So it's like the air induction "venturi" that most spas (including artesian) have on the pressure side of the pump, but it's on the suction side?

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 04:03:32 pm »
So it's like the air induction "venturi" that most spas (including artesian) have on the pressure side of the pump, but it's on the suction side?

Sure?  All I can say is that a very small amount of air enters the water stream when the variable flow control is set to low.  The water flow is effectively cut in half at the low setting.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 04:13:42 pm »
Sorry, had my engineer hat on....

So the flow control allows air to enter the water stream between the filter and the pump, not between the pump and the jets?

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 03:15:32 pm »
What about cavitation?

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:14:05 pm »
Technically I don't think mixing air into the flow stream prior to the pump is the same as cavitation.  As long as the pump does not lose prime, all that will happen is the pump will lose efficency.  Loss of efficiency means less flow for the same power, something you normally try to avoid, but in the case of Artesian, that's what they are after.

They sell it as a feature.  It is quite unique and seems to work well.

Anybody know how long Artesian has been doing this?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:14:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42