What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast Spas??  (Read 10884 times)

capmt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Coast Spas??
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:26:27 am »
I have been reading diligently.  My husband and I visited several spa dealers with EXPENSIVE results.  Has anyone heard of Coast Spas?  (I am in Nothern California).   They have their own claims, as do the others, but I have not seen any mention of them!

Hot Tub Forum

Coast Spas??
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:26:27 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Coast Spas??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 07:52:18 am »
Try doing a search, if you haven't done so already.

Is this the outfit that sells $5K spas for $5K but says that their retail price is about $10K?  Or is that Gulf Coast?
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 07:58:57 am »
Coast is fairly well known around the country and they are just about everywhere. Their reputation isn't great, but others will have to tell you about that.  I've looked at a few and they seem big on bells and whistles, and gimmicks. They may be improved over past problems, but the word overhyped comes to mind.  Anytime someone mentions Coast I think of the biggest gimmick spa I have ever seen. I saw this one at the Ohio State Fair, all I could do was laugh at it.

Here they have taken a 6 person spa, made it into a 4 person spa with the goofiest waterfall I have ever seen. They also still (the last I saw) still refer to their pumps using brake horse power, so their 7 hp pumps are everyone else's 5 hp.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nicker

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 08:20:14 am »
funny you bring this up.  My friend just bought one of these tubs.   I thought I would look also to see if they are actually any good.  I had a quick look at one of these before I bought my tub and thought the same as posted here.  They seem to sell or try to sell allot of extra bells and whistles. I mean they have fiber lights every where.  They look more like a space ship then a hot tub.   I remember their big selling point was their shell was the strongest in the industry and the sales guy actually took a cut out peice of the shell and smashed it against one of the tub shells and says see pretty strong hey.  Well I found that pretty funny.   I almost wanted to go and get a sludge hammer and ask him to show me that using the hammer.

So my friend tells me about these and I could not sway him to look at anything else, at least to compair (he didn't even look at any other tubs).  And can you believe that he did not even wet test it.  I told him wet test wet test.  And his stupid response was, I am not getting in my bathing suite in a store to go in a hot tub. I told him he was pretty stupid to spend $10,000 on somthing and not even test it.  Oh well its his money.

I guess time will tell how his tub holds out.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:11:41 am »
, I am not getting in my bathing suite in a store to go in a hot tub.

I think that is a pretty common feeling, I know my wife was that way.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 11:21:29 am »
 So then don't wear one.   ;)

Brewman
Brewman

cathtrac

• Hot-tub water doggie
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 12:12:50 pm »
I my humble opinion  ;D you would do better buying a steel tub and filling it with hot water than buying a Coast Spa.

We've had a Coast Spa for 5 years and have had leaks, broken pumps (I think we are up to 5 pumps that we've replaced), and very poor customer service. We have already paid the amount of the tub in service and repair costs. When we have contacted Canada (Coast spa is a Canadian company), they have not only been completely unhelpful, but rude to boot.

We've owned several tubs and have never had problems on the scale that we have had with Coast Spa. Last we heard, there was talk about a class action suit against Coast spa and the local dealer, but we are not interested in getting involved in this so we are not in the loop.

That's been our experience, I've read other stories of problems with Coast Spas on this website. Do a search.

capmt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 12:35:51 pm »
Wow-major thanks for the input.  I first thought-gross, these spas look so gimmicky.  But then we listen to the "speal" and think, okay, worth checking out.  I guess my first instincts were right.  And good to know BEFORE buying.   P.S. - I won't go wet test either, I'm making my husband go, but since he will use it at least twice as much as me, I figure I can trust him (after 27 years, I hope so).  

So Coast spas are getting crossed off my list!  Back to Sundance and Hot Springs and their $7300-8300+ before taxes here!!

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
These views on Coast Spas must be from poor sale people from the competition. Even the picture!! This is a 3 week old picture and Coast didn't even do a show in that area.

The good news is that Coast must be the best as everyone is taking about Coast...guess they wish they worked for Coast. Maybe their sales are so slow that all they have to do is site on the net??

That's the best you can come up with?

Can you tell us why Coast dealers are one of the only ones to be known to not give deposits back? Is it because they rely on them to sustain business?

As long as companies like Coast are around, they give the entire spa industry a black eye. If you are from the factory, I'm sure there's a few people that would love to ask you direct questions. Somebody page Dino. ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 09:57:07 am »
Can you tell us why Coast dealers are one of the only ones to be known to not give deposits back? Is it because they rely on them to sustain business?
That is not at all true. Cal Spa is also known to not give back deposits.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 10:12:31 am »
That is not at all true. Cal Spa is also known to not give back deposits.

This reminds me of an early thing that impressed me about my Dynasty Dealer.  He asked for a deposit, I asked if it was refundable, and his reply was "fully" and he reminded me of Ohio's 3 day cooling off period.  Simple thing, it was a winning move and of course he ended up with my business.

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 02:30:30 pm »
Keep in mind that Coast Spas was founded by a former principal of Cal Spas. Their headquarters is in Canada because the individual had a non-compete clause in his contract which prevented him from starting a spa business in the US.
If it quacks like a duck...... :-/

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 02:38:25 pm »
I recently had a chance to look at 10-15 Cal spas in a show room without a salesperson bothering me.  They have some nice looking tubs now.  The local dealer is highly reputable and sells Cal, Hot Springs, and Artesian.   The only actual Cal owner from that store that I know bought a low end 4 person spa for $2500 4 years ago.  Its hanging it there.

fatman

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 05:20:33 pm »
A Coast Spa was just installed on the patio of one of the homes on ABC's  Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 05:20:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42