What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hush pump  (Read 10702 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Hush pump
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:53:00 am »
I just purchased a Beachcomber 750 floor model.  I assumed the Hush Pump came with it as all the BC tubs I was inquiring about had it, I just called and was informed that the tub I purchased did not have the Hush Pump.  The question I have is should I be concerned and how beneficial is the Hush pump really?
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

Hush pump
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:53:00 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hush pump
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 11:43:48 am »
The 2 choices are running a smaller 1/16 HP pump 24 hours per day (Hush pump) or a larger 2 speed pump on filtration cycles. The cost is similar so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I thought they sold all the tubs now with the hush?

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 12:26:12 pm »
They do sell all there tubs now with the LE version with the Hush pump but I got dazzled by the price of the floor model which came with every feature of the LE version except the Hushpump for $3000 less.  I assumed it had the pump until I was looking over my bill of sale today and called them.  I haven't taken delivery so I thought I would post the question.  How load is the circ pump I wonder?  Thanks for the initial reply by the way.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:38:31 pm »
Being that the Hush pump is a $300 upgrade, saving $3000 is what I would consider "good value"! ;D

I don't understand your question, "How load is the circ pump I wonder?" ???

The 750 is an awesome spa and I'm sure Hush pump or not, that you will love it! 8)

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 04:37:41 pm »
How loud is what I meant, should have used spell check.  I went to the store and it is much louder than the Hush but......$3000

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 06:02:36 pm »
A jet pump running on low speed will be slightly louder but remember that it's only running 2 hours in the moring and 2 at night. For 20 hours per day, it's making no noise at all! Plus, you can program when you want it to run those cycles (ie. while at work and the middle of the night).

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 10:27:36 am »
I was told by Beachcomber rep that it should run 12 hours per day, 6 on 6 off.  What are your thoughts on that??

zzaphod42

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:40:15 am »
I was told by Beachcomber rep that it should run 12 hours per day, 6 on 6 off.  What are your thoughts on that??

12 hours a day is a little much. Almost all of my customers filter their tubs between 4 - 8 hours a day without any issues. Very few surpass the 8 hour mark.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 10:55:03 am »
That seems exessive to me.

When I had mine, there were 4 of us using 4-5 times per week and I had it set for 2 - 2 hour cycles. The water remained in great condition and my cost of operation was less than $1.00 per day.

The only situation where I would increase those times would be for very high usage with large numbers of bathers in a very large spa or if you are trying to clear a cloudy water condition.

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 11:13:37 am »
You will have to excuse my ignorance for this question then.  If you use the tub more why would it need to be filtered more?  I thought while you were in the tub with both pumps on high this will pass more water through the filter thus removing unwanted particles.  Also you have to program the filtration so you must be saying I have to reprogram after every use?  Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am almost embarrassed to go back to the dealer after purchasing the tub to ask them.

Ray

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 12:13:32 pm »
I'm a strong believer in the only stupid question, is the one not asked!

What we're trying to do with filtration Ray is making sure that it meets the demand of use. The more use a spa gets on average, the more contaminants enter the spa. Spas filter far better on low speed in most cases as this is when it is skimming. On high speed on a Beachcomber spa, there is a bypass that opens to allow water to move past the filter without being filtered due to the added volume of water entering the filter compartment. This is fairly common with most lilypad floating skimmers like what you’ll see on a Beachcomber.

On low speed, all the water is being filtered and more importantly, skimmed from the surface. Most contaminants that are introduced into a spa are oils, perspiration, leaves and others debris that tend to float on the surface of the water. This is why skimming is critical to good filtration as it will remove this over a period of time. The more contaminants, the greater the filtration required.

What you’ll do Ray is program your spa for the average use. Meaning; set it for 2 – 2 hour cycles and if it’s determined that your water quality is not what it should be with proper balance, and it is being heavily used, then increasing the amount of filtration will help the situation.

I hope this helps and never feel that you’re asking a stupid question! I’ll tell you if you are though! ;)

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 12:52:13 pm »
Thanks Steve, the electrician is coming tomorrow and the tub next Thursday I will let all know how it went.

Ray

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 12:55:59 pm »
No problem.

Is your electrician coming back to wire it to the spa after delivery or is he coming just to inspect your panel?

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 01:11:34 pm »
The electrician is wiring from the panel to the GFI and trenching to the tub leaving 8 feet or so exposed waiting for the BC tech to wire it up, why how should it be done?

Ray

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 01:19:11 pm »
Let me pose it this way...

So your electrician wires it incorrectly (I've seen master electricians do it a number of times..) and your BC tech finishes it up by connecting it to your spa even though he's not a certified electrician. The tub is filled and the power is connected but it blows the mother board in the spa. Who's at fault? ???

My recommendation is have the spa delivered and set up the electrician for the same day. It'll take 2-3 hours for the electrician in most cases and the tub is in place and filling. By the time your electrician is done, he can connect the wires to the spa and power it up.

It's not a difficult thing to wire it to the spa, but it comes down to liability if there's a problem. It's not a common occurrence but guaranteed that one will blame the other and you need to cover your a$$!

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 01:19:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42