What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electiric?  (Read 3963 times)

jss944

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Electiric?
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:23:45 pm »
What typr of electric do I need ran to my Hot tub?  I know I need 220, but I need more specifics. My husband plans on doing this himself and wants to know exactly what he needs.

I know I may need to ask an electrition but I thought I would check here first.

Thanks for any info you might have!! :)

Jaymi

Hot Tub Forum

Electiric?
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:23:45 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Electiric?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 08:31:02 pm »
You really need to ask your dealer where you get your spa.... requirements while being similar can vary ....also the length of your run will have a great effect on what your needs are ....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 08:39:32 pm »
Basically, 50 amp 220 volt will run most spas. Some will need 60 amp, but the wire size is just about the same, except for runs over about 75 feet.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

jss944

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 08:44:43 pm »
Thanks!
Do I need to have a box or anything outside of the house?

Jaymi

jss944

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:47:27 pm »
Thanks!

Do I need to have a box of some type outside the house or just the wires?  Is it # 6 wire that I need?

Jaymi

jss944

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 08:49:49 pm »
OOPs sorry about the double post!!  My computer is giving me fitts!

Jaymi

J._McD

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 09:19:03 pm »
Jaymi, 1) talk to your dealer for the specifications and ask if he refers any electricians.  2) you will probably need 240 volt hook up with a 50 or 60 amp Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter in a weather box outside for service access.  Do not let the electrician put the GFCI inside the house unless anytime in the next 10 years that you need service, you plan to be home when the service man gets there.  3) I don't think it is a good idea for you husband to tackle this job unless he is a licensed electrician and knows what he is doing.

When you can tell us what spa you bought, maybe we can be more helpful.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 09:30:17 pm »
First you need to find out what the spa feed is in amps.
Your best bet is to run a 60 amp feed.
6 AWG wire is good for 60 amps.  Since you will not be loading above 80% of the 60 amp breaker you will be good for a run of 125 feet based on a 50 amp load with a 3% peak voltage drop at 240 VAC.  A 40 amp load on the same wire will be good for a 153 foot run.  Most spas will actually run at less than 40 amps even if it is rated for a 60 amp feed.  Remember that this is cable length.  Your dealer should have included (hopefully) a GFI Spa kit which has the 2 pole GFI breaker and a box.  I recommend that you install a 60 amp 2 pole breaker in the main panel, wire thru a 3/4" box connector to the GFI panel either inside your basement or outside.  The breaker will last longer if installed indoors.  You will need to provide a disconnecting means not closer that 10 feet (5 feet in some places) and not farther than 30 feet (up to 50 feet in some places) and within site of the tub for service use.  The cable that you use for the run is 6/3 which is 6 AWG 3 conductors insulated with a ground (fourth) conductor.  Your spa might not require the neutral but run it anyways.  I recommend that you pull the cable through properly installed PVC conduit.  A small stone could in time poke through the underground cable and cause the GFI to trip.  Glue it well and tape the ends until you do the final pull.  Good luck and happy diggin'
Steve
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:30:59 pm by cola »

Hankster

• A soaker seeker
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 09:38:26 pm »
Thanks guys. Very useful information! :)

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 09:45:38 pm »
cola, that is very good advice and probably 30% of our customers do it that way, but what do you do when the Gfci in the main panel trips when putting the QD back in and no one is home?  ???

Do you expect the service guy to come back for free?   ???

Don't they make "all weather boxes" for exterior applications? ???

Isn't copper expensive?  Why would I want to shop for the best spa, at the lowest price I can pay, and then waste money on extra wire I won't ever use and then incur lost wages waiting for the serviceman to show up when I need him? ??? Or, paying him to come back when I do wait for him the next time.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 10:31:10 pm »
Definitely a good reason to put the GFI outside.  As an industrial electrician, I like to locate equipment in a location that it will last the longest.
Regarding copper, I do not recommend overkill.
I have seen postings recommending 4 AWG for runs over 75 feet, I just wanted to set the record straight.
Some tubs will need an 8 AWG 2 wire run and some might need a 6 AWG 3 wire run.  Consider the price difference if you need the less just incase you decide to upgrade the years down the road, the 50 to 100 dollars in extra material up front will save you five to ten times that if you need to upgrade that later.  I do agree that the GFI outside is best for most from a service standpoint.  The outdoor boxes are usually raintite but not water proof and do let some moisture and humidity into the the enclosure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:01:57 am by cola »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 09:19:11 am »
First you need to find out what the spa feed is in amps.
Your best bet is to run a 60 amp feed.
6 AWG wire is good for 60 amps.  Since you will not be loading above 80% of the 60 amp breaker you will be good for a run of 125 feet based on a 50 amp load with a 3% peak voltage drop at 240 VAC.  A 40 amp load on the same wire will be good for a 153 foot run.  Most spas will actually run at less than 40 amps even if it is rated for a 60 amp feed.  Remember that this is cable length.  Your dealer should have included (hopefully) a GFI Spa kit which has the 2 pole GFI breaker and a box.  I recommend that you install a 60 amp 2 pole breaker in the main panel, wire thru a 3/4" box connector to the GFI panel either inside your basement or outside.  The breaker will last longer if installed indoors.  You will need to provide a disconnecting means not closer that 10 feet (5 feet in some places) and not farther than 30 feet (up to 50 feet in some places) and within site of the tub for service use.  The cable that you use for the run is 6/3 which is 6 AWG 3 conductors insulated with a ground (fourth) conductor.  Your spa might not require the neutral but run it anyways.  I recommend that you pull the cable through properly installed PVC conduit.  A small stone could in time poke through the underground cable and cause the GFI to trip.  Glue it well and tape the ends until you do the final pull.  Good luck and happy diggin'
Steve

Excellent advice, Steve.  Exactly how I ran mine....and since I live on the coast, putting the GFCI breaker in my main panel in conditioned space was a no-brainer.  Heck, I even used Sched 80 PVC since the run was exposed under my walkway and deck which are 8' off grade.   8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 09:59:40 am »
Same here, the schedule 80 was used since it runs on top of the ground between the spa and house.  It's not a walkway, so I don't care that it's above ground, and it's surrounded by cedar lumber as an additional guard.
I also put my GFCI breaker in the indoor panel, and used a 60 amp a/c disconnect outside.  
I intend to be home for any service calls, so I don't consider the indoor GFI to be of any big hinderance for service.  It's only about 30' from the spa to the indoor GFI.
Brewman
Brewman

jss944

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 10:12:51 am »
Thanks so much!  This is very helpful!
I have been trying to talk him into letting an electricain do it!!  MEN!!  LOL

Jaymi

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 10:12:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42