What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Prices  (Read 14861 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Prices
« on: April 11, 2005, 11:32:52 pm »
Wondering  about the practice of posting prices for Spas....both from the dealers prospective and consumer...there are pros and cons to doing so .... In brief from the consumer side, If walking in and seeing a marked price for a spa and all that it includes... Do you like that... if after say being on this or other boards and the price marked was in line with what others seemed to be paying... would that be enough for you...Or do you think you still have the need to try for a better deal... For the dealers is your fear, that someone walks in sees a price and walks out with out knowing any thing about the product you represent ...Please any thoughts.....?..... :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 11:43:36 pm by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

Prices
« on: April 11, 2005, 11:32:52 pm »

J._McD

Re: Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 12:09:49 am »
Mendo, thanks for the opportunity.

The price is the price and every seller knows what their price is when you walk in the door.  

The problem and the practice.

IF you post a price the next question is "what does that include?"  And this is before they know what they want and the decision is made, that's too much.  The fear is will they judge their decision on what they see.  

So then, Should we show the LOW price without the extras?  Or, should we show the complete price with the extras that everybody wants or will choose to include?  Obviously, the price then goes up.

If we post a price, a decision is made without understanding and that is where we need to communicate.  BUT, everyone of us has that FEAR.

The buyer wants to buy, and the seller want to sell, so then this is just about price, right?

Wrong, there is a cost of goods and doing business.  People want quality at a FAIR price, but they also need, want, expect and demand not only service but FREE shopping expenses.  

Several posters to this board have consumed money out of dealer's pockets while they shop with NO expectation of buying a spa from them.  This too must be factored in to the cost of doing business.

I think you question is the root of what we all seek.  What is a FAIR PRICE,

mowgli1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 07:32:51 am »
I would rather see  an inclusive price posted. This should include what every new buyer needs , spa, cover, lift, steps, start-up chemicals, and delivery.

Most dealers have numerous models and lines of spas. There should be prices points for most customers. I don't think a customer will walk in look at one model and walk out because of posted price. They will move on to look at models that fit their budget.

I think comparing prices on this board is a waste of time unless you can find buyers that live in your immediate area. Price variance  in different markets  make most comparisons useless.

I have to laugh at all this talk about the  " fear " factor. A spa in most cases is a luxury purchase.   You are just shopping for a hot tub , it should be an enjoyable experience.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 07:42:49 am by mowgli1 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 08:03:02 am »
I have no problem with people including prices in posts. I take them at face value. Most people indicate in their posts what that price includes. We usually don't know without asking where they are located.  I don't see a dealer saying, gosh, know that the secret is out I have to change my price to match that. As long as some dealer put purely fictional prices on tubs in the store its fair to arm consumers with an idea of what a realistic price might be.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mowgli1

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:17:08 am »
I have no problem with people including prices in posts. I take them at face value. Most people indicate in their posts what that price includes. We usually don't know without asking where they are located.  I don't see a dealer saying, gosh, know that the secret is out I have to change my price to match that. As long as some dealer put purely fictional prices on tubs in the store its fair to arm consumers with an idea of what a realistic price might be.

Mendo,
 Maybe I misunderstood  your question. I thought you were talking about posting prices on tubs in your store.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 08:29:37 am »
I think Mendocino was speaking about displaying prices on the spas at the dealerships.  Then seeing other on the boards who may have paid less.

From a consumer side, I appreciate seeing a posted price, and I like to know what it all includes.  
My dealer posts two prices with each spa.  The cost of the spa itself including delivery and cover, and a "package price" that includes steps, lifter, startup chemicals, and things like that.  
I really don't care if someone got their spa for a thousand less than I did.  It's a luxury splurge and it's been worth every penny.  Life is too short.............
Brewman
Brewman

mowgli1

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 09:16:25 am »
Brewman,
 Well put, my feelings exactly. ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 09:19:04 am »
Mendo,
  Maybe I misunderstood  your question. I thought you were talking about posting prices on tubs in your store.

No, I think I did.  Early morning, not enough sleep I guess.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 10:14:51 am »
Wow Bill. Are you alright?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 01:05:20 pm »
Wow Bill. Are you alright?

It depends, do you mean the online me, the on the real job me, or the husband/father me?

#1 and #3 are fine.

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 02:14:27 pm »
I love to see prices. When I buy things on line I always use www. pricegrabber.com to comparison shop. I recently bought a receiver for $232.00 that was sold in a store near me for $399 and listed on other web sites as high as 455! Why pay more for anything when you don't have to? I do realize that service is important and also carries a price as well. You need to factor that in when making a purchase as well. As an example when buying a $500 electronic item I may see prices from $475 to $700. I don't always buy from the $475 guy because sometimes when you read about the company you see they are problematic. I don't mind spending the extra few dollars to ensure a smooth transaction. I buy the item for $490.  

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 02:24:32 pm »
I think posting prices speaks volumes about credibility.  If you hide your prices, my impression is (and it's been seen on this board) that your prices could change depending who you're dealing with.  

My Jacuzzi dealer has a binder with the specs of all the tubs and prices related to each one, which is readily available to see by the consumer.  

Another "large brand name dealer" has a sheet that is for their eyes only.  

When you think about the big purchases in your life, houses, cars, etc, they all have posted prices.  

Again, to me, not posting prices is a tactic better reserved for a sketchy used car salesman than a hot tub dealer.

IMO...

Mark

shabba34

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 02:53:01 pm »
I think posting prices speaks volumes about credibility.  If you hide your prices, my impression is (and it's been seen on this board) that your prices could change depending who you're dealing with.  

My Jacuzzi dealer has a binder with the specs of all the tubs and prices related to each one, which is readily available to see by the consumer.  

Another "large brand name dealer" has a sheet that is for their eyes only.  

When you think about the big purchases in your life, houses, cars, etc, they all have posted prices.  

Again, to me, not posting prices is a tactic better reserved for a sketchy used car salesman than a hot tub dealer.

IMO...

Mark

To post or not to post, that is the question.  Some dealers post bogus prices and then turn into the used car salesman.  Is that any different then not posting prices at all?  It's all in the ethics of each individual dealer.  I don't post pricing, and everone gets the same price unless a floor model of course.  I personally think it is less ethical to post pricing that is 2-3 thousand dollars more then what they will sell it for.  I agree with both tactics as long as they are done ethically.  Otherwise we all just become anothe Master Spa show team! :) :D ;D ;) :o :P ;D  LOL

Michigander

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 02:57:08 pm »
The problem I have with Price and Service.

I can see the product that I am going to buy.  

I have to take the word of the guy who is selling to me on the value of the service.  Until I need service the value of the service is nothing.  All the Spa dealers I shopped said they offer the best service in town.  

Kind of reminds me of the sign posted saying "best coffee anywhere" .  Best to whom?  You have no dissatisfied customers?  Most of the customers are satisfied, but the ones you have to service are not.

I am willing to pay for the product and for a luxury item regardless of what I paid for it, the service should be just as luxurious.

The place where I bought the tub from said that the price they quoted was the best price they could give on the tub.  So when I pushed him for extras he said no.  When I shopped him (other dealers not letting them know the price I got) no one came close.

Which dealer has the best service after the sale?  The guy who charged the most or the guy that charged the least?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 03:24:26 pm »
We have our laminated price sheet laying on the table where everyone can see it.  Every customer that walks through the door gets the same pricing.  The only exception is our "Spa of the Month" which we have started doing this year.  Instead of putting all the models on sale at once, we feature one spa and discount it.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 03:24:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42