What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pool - Spa - Sanitizers?  (Read 1555 times)

Gman

pool - Spa - Sanitizers?
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:12:20 pm »
I have a pool now and will be getting a spa in a few weeks time.  There is the potential to go back & forth so does that mean I will need to use chlorine in the spa to be consistent with the pool?  Does it matter?

I'm new to the spa world -- so any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

pool - Spa - Sanitizers?
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:12:20 pm »

Soakin

Re: pool - Spa - Sanitizers?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:20:36 pm »
Since nobody else responded, I'll offer my opinion.  I don't think there is any reason you can't use different sanitizers in the pool and spa, but I personally would use dichlor (not trichlor if that is what you are using in your pool -- see other threads for why the distinction) to eliminate the need to stock two sets of chems and keep them straight.

Something else for theoritical consideration, but no practical concern...  if you elect to use bromine, be aware that any bromine that travels from the spa to the pool on suits/hair etc will persist in the pool forever.  That said, the concentrations will be so small that IMO it would take years before it even becomes measurable.  Just food for thought.

While we are at it, one other pool/spa chemical issue is the use of muratic acid to lower pH.  The amounts needed in a spa are so small that you are better off using sodium bisulfate to avoid overcorrecting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 02:23:57 pm by Soakin »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: pool - Spa - Sanitizers?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:20:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42