What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: looking for some info on water maintenance  (Read 3080 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
looking for some info on water maintenance
« on: April 29, 2005, 03:06:08 am »
I went to the tub shop today and was looking at my tub.  I just cant wait to get it.  I should have it my August.  

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone could post how they care for their tub.  Start from the first fill up to chemicals needed, to weekly and monthly obligations.

I really want to know the basics, so that when I get the tub I will have a better understanding of things.

I am going to be using bromine instead of chlorine forsure.  I just want to know what to do and when to do it so that I have great looking water.

I feel kind of stupid asking these questions, but I am just so dam excited about getting this thing.  

Thank you so much for your input in advance.

I cant wait to share pictures with you all, my backyard is starting to take shape.  My exposed agrigate patio should be completed in the next few weeks.  

Hot Tub Forum

looking for some info on water maintenance
« on: April 29, 2005, 03:06:08 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: looking for some info on water maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 05:19:09 am »
Because I don't use Bromine (had terrible luck with it) I can't help you much on what you need to do because all water has different needs based on alot of things, how much use, how clean the soakers are, alot of things. But I can tell you this, don't panic, don't micro manage your water. Enjoy your tub and your soaks.

Take a water sample in now and find out what you need to do, bring PH up or down, bring Total Alkalitiy up or down. Bromine and MPS has a tendency to bring PH and TA down as you use it so.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 07:54:53 am »
I'd ask this to your dealer.  They can explain what systems to choose from, and instruct you on water care when they show you how to use your spa.

Brewman
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 08:18:15 am »
If you get a Taylor test kit, if available in Canada, they have a booklet about water chemistry that's very good.

I know Doc sells the kit on his site - rhtubs - and I think I read that he sells the booklet by itself.

Doc also has info posted on his site about the different sanitizers.

Vinny

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 09:59:12 am »
First thing you ought to do is fully explore the options before deciding on which sanitizer to use.  Frankly, I would not use bromine if it was provided to me free of charge, but you might have a really good reason for wanting to go with bromine and should do so.  All I am saying is do your homework before making a decision.

Go to www.rhtub.com and look up the water treatment section by the Vermonter.  Northman also has his additional comments on this subject on this site.  

Regards,

Bill

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:59:47 am »
First thing you ought to do is fully explore the options before deciding on which sanitizer to use.  Frankly, I would not use bromine if it was provided to me free of charge, but you might have a really good reason for wanting to go with bromine and should do so.  All I am saying is do your homework before making a decision.

Go to www.rhtub.com and look up the water treatment section by the Vermonter.  Northman also has his additional comments on this subject on this site.  

Regards,

Bill

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 11:09:29 am »
Take a water sample in now and find out what you need to do, bring PH up or down, bring Total Alkalitiy up or down. Bromine and MPS has a tendency to bring PH and TA down as you use it so.

This was a good idea. We can appreciate your excitement of the big day, and this will give you something to do, and for us to talk about.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Soakin

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:15:17 pm »

Take a water sample in now and find out what you need to do, bring PH up or down, bring Total Alkalitiy up or down.

One thing you may want to consider on sampling...  My tap water tests near perfect out of the tap :D, but after sitting for a couple of days, whether in the spa -- or in a sample container -- pH, TA and Hardness are off the scale high ???.  The high readings are the true values, because my tub always requires a lot of dry acid to balance.  Someone posted about this phenomonon on Doc's site, and attributed it to buffers added to city water supplies.  

I would set the sample aside for a couple of days before bringing it to the dealer for testing.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:15:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42