What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why can't any mfg's dealer handle warranty?i  (Read 4426 times)

moviebuff2

Why can't any mfg's dealer handle warranty?i
« on: April 23, 2005, 07:36:58 pm »
More questions from a newcomer...

Why is it that the dealer where you buy the spa is the only dealer that can honor the warranty?  (At least this is how I gather it works from what I've read on this forum).

I bought my new Toyota van from a dealer that was an hour away from my home because they had the best price... and I knew I could get all warranty work done at the closest Toyota dealership.

Treatment like that makes me feel that the MANUFACTURER is taking care of me, not just the dealer.  Anyone know why the spa business works the way it does?

Nancy

Hot Tub Forum

Why can't any mfg's dealer handle warranty?i
« on: April 23, 2005, 07:36:58 pm »

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Why can't any mfg's dealer handle warranty?i
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 07:47:47 pm »
Oh no, there you have gone and started it! :o

kvnlaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 08:08:35 pm »
Make an appointment. Drive your spa to the closest dealer and I am sure they will service it. Is that a can opener I just heard? I hate worms.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 10:43:49 pm »
I believe it has to do with warranty payment or lack there of. A selling dealer will take care of you during the warranty even if it costs them some money, another dealer will be losing money on you every time he/she goes out to service the tub.

I also believe that if you moved to a new location and needed service that the local person would take care of you under warranty no matter where you bought it from.

I know that my dealer said that all their customers get taken care of first whenever service calls come in - it's their way of taking care of THEIR customer. I liked that and being a service tech in a different industry, I do take care of my good customers better than others!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 11:14:16 pm »
Last July, I bought my tub from the nearest MasterSpas dealer to me......225 miles away.  About 2 months ago, a new MasterSpas dealership opened in my area.  They are great people and have said they will be happy to cover any warranty work for me.....now that sounds like service...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 11:26:50 pm »
Vinny,

You pretty much nailed it ....that is part of your dealer agreement to service the spas you sell and at times it will cost you money....

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 10:51:28 am »
Vinny is totally correct.  
The retail dealer I used to work for calculated that it cost about $100 to go out on a service call ( payroll, gas, insurance, etc... )  The amount the factory gives the dealer to go out is usually $50-$75.  So if you didnt sell it, you are losing money.  So most dealers wont do it.
Measure once, cut twice.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 11:34:42 am »
I had the local Hot Springs dealer tell me that they changed $50 for a service call.  He said it was to pay for their gas.  

All of the other dealers I've been to - Sundance, Artesian and Marquis don't charge for service calls.  I guess it varies from dealer to dealer but I would have thought since I was looking at a $10,000 Hot Springs spa that they could have gotten a little "gas allowance" out of the sale.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 04:42:50 pm »
Watkins Manufacturing has a simple approach: if you sell it, you must service it.

I have only one or two tubs which are far enough away that I don't want to drive to them. I call a local repair shop, send them any parts they might need and pay them to do the job. I get paid by the factory for the repair, but generally not enough to cover the costs. However, since I sold the spa I must take care of it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 05:59:53 pm »
Watkins Manufacturing has a simple approach: if you sell it, you must service it.

I have only one or two tubs which are far enough away that I don't want to drive to them. I call a local repair shop, send them any parts they might need and pay them to do the job. I get paid by the factory for the repair, but generally not enough to cover the costs. However, since I sold the spa I must take care of it.

Do they make allowances for relocated people and their spas?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 07:00:56 pm »
Here's a simple way of looking at it. On average, the average spa is going to require an average $xxx of warranty work.

There are a number of way this can be paid for, but it will ALWAYS be paid for by the CONSUMMER............... you.

The manufacturer can add $xxx to the cost of the spa, pass it on the to dealer, who will pass it on to the consummer.

The dealer can add $xxx to the cost of the spa to cover their average warranty work.

The dealer can add less than $xxx to the cost of the spa and charge a small service charge on warranty work.

Either way, the consummer is paying $xxx above the actual cost of the spa to cover the average amount of warranty work that can be expected.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 07:46:35 pm »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

This is something I've been preaching for years.  Warranties are included with products but they are not free.  Spa makers, or any other entity that offers a warranty on their products incur costs to honor the warranties, thus they are expenses, thus they are recovered by the mfg.  I wonder what a huge corporation like Ford or GM pay in expenese for a year to provide us warranties?  Think beyone the cost of parts and mechanic's labor.  There is also administration costs, and more.  I often wonder how much less expensive goods would be if we didn't have to pay these expenses.  Maybe not much, but who know?

Brewman
Brewman

fletch49

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 08:38:22 pm »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

This is something I've been preaching for years.  Warranties are included with products but they are not free.  Spa makers, or any other entity that offers a warranty on their products incur costs to honor the warranties, thus they are expenses, thus they are recovered by the mfg.  I wonder what a huge corporation like Ford or GM pay in expenese for a year to provide us warranties?  Think beyone the cost of parts and mechanic's labor.  There is also administration costs, and more.  I often wonder how much less expensive goods would be if we didn't have to pay these expenses.  Maybe not much, but who know?

Brewman

Not sure about GM or Ford, but the Dodge/Chrysler end of DaimlerChrysler spent about 5.5 billion USD in 2004.
EPUS or Expense Per Unit Sold (ie warranty costs) really eat into profit.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 08:43:40 pm »
Do they make allowances for relocated people and their spas?
Yes they do. They also will require a new dealer to take care of all previously sold spas in the area - provided they are still under warranty of course.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 10:52:18 pm »
I guess the question still stands.....who will do the warranty work when you relocate with your spa???

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 10:52:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42