What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bench style seats vs bucket seating  (Read 11759 times)

sfsdcris

Bench style seats vs bucket seating
« on: April 20, 2005, 01:36:48 am »
I may be using the terms wrong, if so forgive me.

It seems like a trend in tubs is to have bucket seats, seats specifically for a set amount of people in the hot tub. I don't get it. It seems that it makes using a hot tub annoying unless you sit in a very specific seat with a limit on the amount of people. Whereas bench style would allow you to potentially sit any fashion, with an overload of people.

One bench style I've noticed is the HotSprings Grandee, another is the Image 639.  What other bench style does this list recommend?

Right now the HotSprings Grandee tops on my list, although my dealer quote is $9000 which I think is a little steep. Is it?

thanks -c

Hot Tub Forum

Bench style seats vs bucket seating
« on: April 20, 2005, 01:36:48 am »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Bench style seats vs bucket seating
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:32:27 am »
Regardless of the brand of spa you are looking at something to keep in mind just because you can squeeze more body's into a spa... You might want to keep in mind that 4 average size adults in a spa from a Bacteria stand point is about the same as putting about 200 people in a back yard pool .....no matter how many you can fit.. water sanitation should be kept in mind...

Soakin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:21:59 am »
Just my opinion, but open seating won't be much of a factor in my next spa purchase (unless I continue to get wider and can't fit into bucket seats  :o ;D) .  Fit, floating, features, and feel of the massage (hey, dealers how 'bout that -- the Four F's of spa selection! 8)) will be more important.  Having the flexibility to accomodate a crowd is nice, but I would bet that for most people, 90% or more of the use is 1-2 people at at time.  

We have a Saratoga Pavillion that is relatively open, and comfortably seats 8 friendly people (if you don't mind tangled feet).  The corners are contoured and the benches in between are open, so we can squeeze 10 in if we want.  We thought open seating was important when we purchased it, because we expected a lot of social use.  We do use it to entertain (not as frequently as we expected, and less as the novelty of hot tub parties wore off for us and our friends), but usually 4 to 6 people -- not 10.

Big parties with lots of people in the tub happen at most twice a year, and then it seems the tub is at capacity for only for a few minutes before a steady rotation of 6 people in occurs.   The tub holds 525 gallons and we keep the water level at the minimum because we find that it rises a little over an 1 inch per body in the spa.  At 6 people, the skimmer opening is full and the deep seats are only usable by people over 6 feet tall.  At 10 people, the tub is full to the brim and the deep seats require even tall people to strain their necks or sit with a leg under them to keep their mouths above water.  Any movement sends water over the side.  After a party, the water can be several inches low (easier to see the brown scum left by our guests lotion, make-up and suit detergents :P).

Well over 90% of our use is just our family, and usually 1 or 2 of us.  While we are very happy with the hydrotherapy in our spa, we probably compromised a bit on therapy options like a lounger or true massage chair, to get a tub that would accomodate a lot of people.  Our thought was the relatively flat benches would allow a lounger-like seating position when it was "just us"  That works to a certain extent, but then the jets are working your side, not your back (both good, and bad).

Reviewing this post, it almost sounds like I am not happy with this tub.  That is not the case at all!  IMO it is a great spa, the right decision at the time, and we have enjoyed it immensely.  I just wanted to point out that open seating was one of the reasons we like this spa, that probably won't be important when the time comes for the next one.   Just make sure you are realistic about your needs/uses as you shop, and compromise on how well it works for the 10% of uses, not the 90%!  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:37:21 am »

I think people can clearly understand what you mean, and its a great question, though not brought up as much as others.

This was a key factor in our decision to buy a Dynasty Excalibur 4000

As you can see the seats are slighly form fitting, which you only feel sitting in it dry.  With water, you barely feel the seats. They are just enough to keep people in thier own seats, when you want it that way.  As you can see we have a lounger. The person sitting in the upper right seat (as shown) gets a great back massage, but can easily put thier feet up in either side seat and have something of a sitting up lounger.  In this seat with the legs pointing down, there is a foot jet, that is normally a hip jet in that seat.  If you point your legs to the left the jets in that seat hit the upper thighs. I frequently switch between the upper right and upper left seat to get my upper thighs with that top center seat.  We bought this 6 person spa, even though there is the 3 of us, to allow us the freedom to move around and get the massage or seat depth we want.

I read Soakin's posts and their decision on open seating was based on the exact opposite as ours. We wanted the open seating for when there was less of us in the tub.  Interesting and it shows its a dynamic thing, figure out whats best for you.   I've seen some more form fitting models I would like to try, but  that would definitely make wet testing an even higher importance.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 11:44:40 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 11:46:03 am »
It seems like a trend in tubs is to have bucket seats, seats specifically for a set amount of people in the hot tub. I don't get it. It seems that it makes using a hot tub annoying unless you sit in a very specific seat with a limit on the amount of people. Whereas bench style would allow you to potentially sit any fashion, with an overload of people.

sfs,
I use the same bucket vs bench analogy also. IMO, the bucket style looks nicer and performs very well but I'm with you in liking the bench style a bit more. My spa is 6 years old and we have 3 kids who move around a lot (as do I) and I prefer the more open style. I also have sat in many of the bucket types and love that style as well and if I had one I may change my mind on which I like better. There is no right or wrong here so try both and go with whichever seems best. Don't worry about why there are more of one than another as that only means that maybe you're in the minority and who wants to think like everyone else (maybe you're left handed too ;D).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

shabba34

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:49:26 am »

One bench style I've noticed is the HotSprings Grandee, another is the Image 639.  What other bench style does this list recommend?

Right now the HotSprings Grandee tops on my list, although my dealer quote is $9000 which I think is a little steep. Is it?

thanks -c

Wet test the Grandee, Vista and Envoy to get a feel for the different seating structures.  9000 for a Grandee with what accessories?  We sell ours for 8995.00 w/cradle, cd ozone, 32" plastic steps, del/install, 220 sub panel, 45" plasma Tv, his and hers matching rolex's, oh, and chemicals ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:56:34 am »
 We sell ours for 8995.00 w/cradle, cd ozone, 32" plastic steps, del/install, 220 sub panel, 45" plasma Tv, his and hers matching rolex's, oh, and chemicals ;D

What, no pool table thrown in as well?  ::)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

shabba34

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 11:58:17 am »

What, no pool table thrown in as well?  ::)

Now that's just goin overboard! ;)

nicker

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 11:59:14 am »
When I first started looking at tubs I was asking that same question.  Wouldn't a bench style seat allow more options and potentionally more people. .... maybe.  But I think the bucket style is better and it seems that the higher end tubs all have it.  The reason I think they are better is they keep you in the tub where you are suppose to be and where the jets are able to do what they are designed to do.   If you could sit anywhere you may not be sitting in the ideal position of the jets and not get the full effect of the jets.

Just my thoughts but seems to make sense.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 12:02:43 pm »
If you could sit anywhere you may not be sitting in the ideal position of the jets and not get the full effect of the jets.

Your point is understandable. However, I have had problems with my upper thighs and nobody makes a tub/jet/seat for that.  There is just enough form to my seats to tell where you are "supposed" to sit, but  are open enough to sit where I want to for the particular muscle that is sore that day!  :D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 04:03:58 pm »
This debate makes me wonder why HS discontinued the Landmark. It has the best of both worlds.  It has three bench style seats and two recliner/bucket seats as well as the lounger.   If you want the feel of a bucket you got it or if you are in the mood to move around the bench seats are very open.  The other thing I like about my Landmark is that only 3 people out of 6 use the footwell.  It is a great spa and I always recommend HotSpring/Watkins as a company to anyone who wants to hear me babble.  They build a good spa and even more importantly they back it up with great dealer support.

shabba34

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 04:07:14 pm »
This debate makes me wonder why HS discontinued the Landmark. It has the best of both worlds.  It has three bench style seats and two recliner/bucket seats as well as the lounger.   If you want the feel of a bucket you got it or if you are in the mood to move around the bench seats are very open.  The other thing I like about my Landmark is that only 3 people out of 6 use the footwell.  It is a great spa and I always recommend HotSpring/Watkins as a company to anyone who wants to hear me babble.  They build a good spa and even more importantly they back it up with great dealer support.

Thats essentially what the Vista and Envoy resemble except on steroids.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 08:27:14 pm »

Your point is understandable. However, I have had problems with my upper thighs and nobody makes a tub/jet/seat for that.  There is just enough form to my seats to tell where you are "supposed" to sit, but  are open enough to sit where I want to for the particular muscle that is sore that day!  :D

Don't say nobody....I know someone who does.... ;)

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 08:40:35 pm »
We love our bench seats for several reasons.

1. We entertain often.  Probably 1-2 a month, more in the summer.  It isn't unusual for people to want to get in the tub, and bench seating DOES make it easier to fit more people. Larger tubs have more filtration, we have NEVER had a major problem due to people usage.  If the argument against bench seating is that it limits the # of people to help out filtration, move to another dealer, IMO.

2. No jet hits everything.  The moto-massage does a great job for me. But the ability to move and make sure you get all the right places is important.  When wet testing, bench seating helped with that far more than bucket seating which was very confining.

3. If you are being pushed around by your jets, turn them down. Most of hydrotherapy is bouyancy (sp??)  and heat!    Having something to push your foot against is a good thing, but is absolutely not unique to either bench or bucket seats. On some tubs that use HP above all else to sell their tubs, you can get pushed right out of a bucket seat too!

Anyways...

No one can say (although they already did) that one style is superior to the other.  Based on my usage pattern I'd be very leery of buying a bucket-seated tub. Others will have an exact opposite opinion, and all opinions will be slightly different than *your* opinion, which is the only one that matters.

But try and see the pros of both.

-Ed

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 09:27:57 pm »

Your point is understandable. However, I have had problems with my upper thighs and nobody makes a tub/jet/seat for that.

Terminator,
If it is the outside of your upper thighs and not the fronts, the Xtreme Therapy seat in my LSX is excellent for the outside of the thighs from knee up to and including hips.  My wife enjoys it for her sometimes troublesome hip joints.  Wish you could just "drop by" to try it.... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 09:27:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42