What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP! Dealer Fact or Fiction  (Read 13246 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
HELP! Dealer Fact or Fiction
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:32:59 am »
I am about to jump in and make a purchase of a new Hot Tub.  I'm deciding between the Sundance Maxxus or the Hot Springs Grandee.  I am leaning towards the Sundance because it just seems built better.  The model I want includes a stereo with the pop-up spakers.  The Hot Springs dealer said I have chosen the top two tubs and both are very good however, the Sundance will grow black mold in the pop-up speakers.  The mold will then transfer to the water and then then to the users.  He said this is a known issue and is why Hot Springs no longer does pop-up speakers.  I have seached the net and can find nothing about this.  Can anyone comment on this and let me know if this fact or fiction.  Personally, I'll just forgo the dang stereo (expensive option) and get a boom box.  Please comment :-/

Hot Tub Forum

HELP! Dealer Fact or Fiction
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:32:59 am »

Chris_H

Re: HELP! Dealer Fact or Fiction
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 10:56:07 am »
I have never heard of a mold problem with Sundance's speakers.  I think your Hotspring dealer is an idiot for saying that.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 11:56:43 am »
The dealer may not be lying: I mean let's face it, it is entirely possible that a customer or two in your area may have had some sort of problem with mold (or black algae) on the speakers. They may have gone to the HotSpring dealer for help simply because they were closer, or open on Sunday or whatever.  Yes, I can see how it might be possible, but I certainly don't know of it being a 'problem' in the sense of a larger issue.

Caldera spas have pop-up speakers...

You are looking at two very good spas, and yes, the stereo options on both are pricey. I am working with Bose speakers from the nearby 'factory outlet' setting up some very nice outdoor systems for much less money. Come to think of it, I suppose even those speakers could get some mold on them if you live in a real damp area....

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 12:05:30 pm »
I agree with Chris. This HS dealer is desperately trying to make the sale and desperation sometimes is ugly to watch as the BS usually follows.

Who did you really think Chas was going to side with? ::)

shabba34

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 12:11:01 pm »
That mold will creep into the baby's crib, and then into the air duct system, and everone will be breathing fermented speaker juice.  What to do, what to do? ??? ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 01:24:59 pm »
I have the Optima with the pop up's and in two years so far no mold.  
Brewman
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 02:42:07 pm »
I think it is a stretch but in some rare set of circumstances maybe could it happen but for the dealer to use that as sales advantage, is someone who is really reaching....

J._McD

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 03:05:34 pm »
Create fear in the mind of the buyer to eliminate the competition.  Pshycological warefare.  Not only Fiction but unethical and lacks integrity.

BIG_PAPA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 03:19:46 pm »
save the money and go with a boom box!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 05:25:25 pm »
I agree with Chris. This HS dealer is desperately trying to make the sale and desperation sometimes is ugly to watch as the BS usually follows.

Who did you really think Chas was going to side with? ::)

Actually I thought he was very diplomatic and impartial   about it.   I would think the issue here would be user maintainence.   I would think anything that exist under the tubs cover might have this possability if you don't keep your spa/water properly clean.  

Don't base your decision, or opinion of either spa based on this one thing that guy said.  My father once owned a Ford sedan.  It blew three radiator hoses in 3 weeks. The local dealer replaced the hose again and suggested my Dad keep a spare hose and fluid in the trunik  Despite this all Fords are not junk.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 06:26:14 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 01:52:56 am »
Campsalot,

I own a HS grandee and it is a nice tub.  When I was looking, I also saw a maxxus (dry) at the sundance dealer.  

I doubt the maxxus is "better built", but if it gave you more confidence in the "kick the tires" department then it is a good tub to have.  Both tubs are laid out so differently that I would image aesthetics and usage would be as much of a factor as anything else.  I believe, with the maxxus, you can add hooks for water exercise.  When I was looking I also believe themaxxus came in only real wood siding???

Do some searching on here for speakers. They are nice, but pricey and maybe not anywhere near as much bang for your buck as a good set of marine speakers.  IMO it just isn't worth it, we get tons of enjoyment out of marine speakers and you can get some nice deck-wide surround sound for that $$.

-Ed

ps.This is a good forum!  If you can wade through some of the obligatory personal vitriole there is much information afoot.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 01:55:23 am by ebirrane »

mowgli1

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 08:50:57 am »
Campsalot,

I own a HS grandee and it is a nice tub.  When I was looking, I also saw a maxxus (dry) at the sundance dealer.  

I doubt the maxxus is "better built", but if it gave you more confidence in the "kick the tires" department then it is a good tub to have.  Both tubs are laid out so differently that I would image aesthetics and usage would be as much of a factor as anything else.  I believe, with the maxxus, you can add hooks for water exercise.  When I was looking I also believe themaxxus came in only real wood siding???

Do some searching on here for speakers. They are nice, but pricey and maybe not anywhere near as much bang for your buck as a good set of marine speakers.  IMO it just isn't worth it, we get tons of enjoyment out of marine speakers and you can get some nice deck-wide surround sound for that $$.

-Ed

ps.This is a good forum!  If you can wade through some of the obligatory personal vitriole there is much information afoot.  ;D

The exercise option is no longer available on the 2005 Maxxus. Three shell colors and three cabinet colors are offered. The new birchwood cabinet  color is very sharp. These three cabinet colors all come in synthetic wood.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:33:32 am by mowgli1 »

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 10:07:45 am »
Chas,

I knew you were kidding.  Great minds think alike.

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 10:55:12 am »
My wife and I went to the Sundance dealer yesterday and looked the Maxxus over real closely.  I really like this tub!  I am pretty much past the mold issue now as I tend to agree with the person who stated in the forum earlier that this was BS dealer mind game anyway.  I have had an above ground pool for years that finally just biffed it.  Rather than getting another pool my wife suggested a spa because of our short pool season. (3 maybe 4 months)  I plan on setting the tub on a 16" octagon concrete pad I poured for the pool.  I am going to pass on the Hot Springs tub because of the dealer mentioning the BS speaker mold issue.  Also, the Sundance dealer was open to my deal proposal where the other dealer was not.  I proposed that we would order a new Maxxus as long as we received a very aggressive price.  These things seem so over priced and everything I have read leads me to believe that they have a HUGE amount of mark up!  Now nothing is wrong with making a profit but usually this kind of mark up spells depreciation.  I also understand that these things will depreciate although I would not want to lose 4g's the first year alone.  Therefore I asked him for an aggressive price that includes steps, cover and lift, chemical, and a 30 day wet test deal.  The 30 day wet test deal I offered is I get 30 days to test the tub, if I don’t like it he'll come pick it up, and give me all my money back less $250.00 for hard costs!  If he meets these criteria, I’m ordering.  I'll keep everyone posted here as to how this proceeds and I thank you all for your input.  This is great! :)

mowgli1

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 11:20:35 am »
Campsalot,

Why are you so concerned about depreciation?  Are you planning on trading it in for a new one in a few years? The Maxxus is a great choice.  Good Luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 11:20:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42