What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber or Sundance  (Read 11717 times)

SJK

Beachcomber or Sundance
« on: April 10, 2005, 10:23:58 am »
Add me to the list of confused first timers looking at hot tubs.  I have three dealers in my town selling among others Coast, Sundance and Beachcomber.  We like the Beachcomber dealer's presentation but the technology seem a little different from the others....slightly smaller HP motors running fewer ports, the motor on the outside of the tub (in the step).   I wasn't as impressed by the power on the Sundance  (the dealer said you don't want to get 'beat up' by your tub) and yet I hear lots of positives on the Sundance on this forum and almost nothing on Beachcomber. The skirt on the Beachcomber seemed a lot more solid than the sundance and the overall quality seemed better, but the more I read the less sure I am. I live in Canada, so insulation values and cost of heating are issues.  Any comments or advice?  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Beachcomber or Sundance
« on: April 10, 2005, 10:23:58 am »

Chris_H

Re: Beachcomber or Sundance
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:30:43 am »
I would wet test both the Sundance and Beachcomber.  They are both high quality spas, and let the wet-test be the deciding factor.

However, don't get cought up in the horsepower and the number of jets in either spa.  It is the number of massages you are looking for, not the number of jets or pumps.  An example is Hotspring, they get one of the greatest massages with ONE jet.  

The skirting on the Beachcomber is more solid than the Sundance.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of heating either because both will cost roughly the same amount.  Probably within 2 dollars per month of each other.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 10:37:46 am »
I agree w Chris on this one, take the plunge. Wet test will decide which spa is right for YOU. Every spa is rated by everyone differently,YOU make the decision based on what you feel is right for YOU.

Remember, it's not all about horsepower...

hottubber... ;D

SJK

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 10:50:56 am »
Makes sense.  Thanks for the solid advice.

SJK

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 11:11:04 am »
Whats the deal about small circulating pumps?  Beachcomber says they aren't necessary to effectively treat the water.  And any comments about having the motor outside the tub.  The Sundance guy says its a bad idea.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 12:05:17 pm »
Whatever keeps the water clean is an effective system.
Do you need a circ pump? No.  
Do you need a filter system which keeps your water clean?  Absolutley.  
There are dozens of ways to accomplish this.  
Any major brand of spa will have good filtering.  
As far as the motor outside the tub, I have no idea.  
Probably just another point for us to debate endlessly over.
Brewman
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 04:58:40 pm »
You are looking at two high quality tubs, in my opinion!  Give them a wet test and see what you think then.  That should really help with your decision.  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 05:50:41 pm »
SJK,

Beachcomber uses a BIG circulating pump to filter the water and Sundance uses a little one with pump 1 coming on low every so often (this is programmable)  to help filter the water. I don't know if the circ pump is an option in Beachcomber or it's standard.

Every manufacturer tackles filtration differently and none of the major manufacturers have a problem keeping the water clean. Don't let this be a deciding factor in selecting your tub.

SJK

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 07:08:16 pm »
I stand corrected.  I misread the Beachcomber Q&A brochure which claimed that SMALL circulating pumps are not recommended.  I went back to the dealer who pointed out their larger circulating pump.  
   What about the turbo option?  Its an extra $350.00, but I've been told its "a guy thing" - not really that useful.  I'm almost sold on the 720.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 09:44:48 pm »
   What about the turbo option?  Its an extra $350.00, but I've been told its "a guy thing" - not really that useful.  I'm almost sold on the 720.

Is this the more powerful foot pump? I would say if your planning on wet testing, test one with and one without and see. If your not wet testing, ask yourself can you live without it - if the answer is yes then do without.

Good Luck!

J._McD

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 10:47:52 pm »
Once you buy it the debate is over.  They both will give you long term enjoyment.  Ask for a copy of the warranty and read the words.  What they give you in numbers they take away with words, exclusions, limitations and prorations.

What is your feel for the dealer? How long have they been selling the line?  I don't think you can make a bad choice between the two.  

Keep in mind, you are going to own it and enjoy it for a long time go with the better choice in quality, value and dealer service.

nrkissed

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:15:06 pm »
We passed over the Beachcomber during our search due to the external pump.  The additional space required just wouldn't work in our location.  

Make sure you take the extra space into account!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 12:37:41 pm »
Having owned a Beachcomber, having a friend who has a 700 series and now owning  Jacuzzi (sister to Sundance)....thought I should chime in here.

One dealer explained it best to me....if you're just looking to soak in hot water then brand A might be a better buy for you than brand B that has significant hydrotherapy.  

IMO, Beachcomber has some cool features, but it doesn't hold a candle to Sundance's jetting.  I think if you check other threads with Beachcomber in them, there's quite a few comments to their jetting.  Again, for some people, that floats their boat, whereas others, like myself like a much stronger jetting package, which a Sundance - Jacuzzi - Hot Springs would deliver.  

This all said, I did enjoy my 530 BC, and never had water problems.  Their system worked fine, just like my Jacuzzi does now.

Mark

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 01:49:25 pm »
 I own a 720X Beachcomber and as far as jets, if I devert air  from bottom to top potions of jets  it feels like Im going to displace a  disk or something, VERY powerful. The pumps under the steps are easy to get to, my tub is inside so insulation is not a factor.  Love my tub!   ;D

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 02:16:14 pm »
At the risk of sounding redundant--WET TEST, WET TEST, WET TEST, WET TEST!!!

;D
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 02:16:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42