What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet tested today:  D1 vs. Marquis  (Read 4137 times)

Orthofunk

Wet tested today:  D1 vs. Marquis
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:03:20 pm »
I tested the 2004 D-1 Chairman II and the 2005 Marquis Reward today.

D1 lounger has more jets, including jets on your feet and wrists.  D1 also has tactile bumps for your hands in the lounger.  
Marquis has no feet jets in the lounger.  As a matter of fact, there is really only 1 seat in the Marquis where you can get good foot therapy, and it only has 4 jets down the center of your back along with 3 neck jets.  This was a major disappointment.  >:(
The tri-zone therapy on the Marquis was a little disappointing.  You can have full pressure on you upper back or lower... but not both.
Neck pillow in D-1 is more comfortable than no pillow in the Marquis.  Dealer said pillow replacement is only $15, every 2-3 years.  
In the D1 lounger, my legs and butt tended to float up a little... not so in the Marquis.  D1 also has the "dynamic sequencer" where the jets cycle from head to toe... a nice feature.
The jets themselves are pretty even for both spas.  I didn't notice much of a difference in terms of jet comfort or itchiness.  The jets are the D1 easily interchangeable, and many of them can convert to rotating.
D1 rep was really emphasizing the 24 hour circ pump... said it ensures the water is always clean.  Marquis rep says 24 hour circ is old technology, and only filters water from the middle layer of the spa.  Also those pumps only last 2-3 years (5 year warranty on the D1 circ pump though)  Marquis jet pump turns on twice a day for 2 hours to maintain cleanliness.... not sure who to give the edge on this one.  Any opinions?
D1 has the big foot jet on the floor with tactile bumps, which is accessible from almost all the seats.  Marquis has no floor jet.
Marquis has waterfall and 2 lights, and a floating remote.  D1 has 1 light, no waterfall... no floating remote.
Both have ozonator with contact chamber.
D1 is about $3500 more than Marquis.  I think I can get the D1 price down a little from $11000.  What are others paying for the 2005 Chairman II?

What really made the difference for me was the max therapy seat in the D1.  This seat is far better than the best seat in the Marquis.  It has 16 jets on your neck, back and sides... all fully adjustable.  And with the floor jet pumping at your feet, there was nothing comparable on the Marquis.
D1 also had a nice reminder feature for water testing and when its time to change the water.

I want to test the Marquis Epic when it arrives in the showroom, which I am sure I will like more than the Reward... but after my wet test today, I'm definately leaning toward the D-1.  On a scale of 1-10, I give the D-1 Chairman II a 9, and the Marquis Reward a 7.  I have also tested the Caldera Niagara and Geneva... both of which get a 6.

Any suggestions or recommendations??

Hot Tub Forum

Wet tested today:  D1 vs. Marquis
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:03:20 pm »

poolboy34

Re: Wet tested today:  D1 vs. Marquis
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:57:49 pm »
well the jet pumps on the D-1 also turn on twice day for an hour to move more water, so you get the best of both worlds.  24 hr circulation and ozonation, plus 2 "power" filtration cycles.  That's an excelent account of how each spa fit/did not fit your therapy needs.  If you have any specific questions on D-1 I'll try to answer them in a timely manner to the best of my knowledge.  Mendo and stuart have a lot of knowledge on the Marquis line of spas as well.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1, Caldera, & Nordic Spas dealer

Orthofunk

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 11:35:36 am »
Jason (or anyone else),
If you don't mind me asking... what is a fair price on the 2005 Chairman II?  I'm not looking for the deal of the century... but $11800 seems very steep.  Can you tell me the dealer cost?

What have other paid for their Chairman II?

Thanks,
Jeff

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:15:41 pm »
Can you tell me the dealer cost?

Thanks,
Jeff

You have every right to search for the best deal possible Jeff but you won't get any dealer costs. I don't know of any industry that gives out dealer costs so the consumers can set the price they want to pay. Just not how it works. ;)

I'm sure there's people here that can give you an indication of a fair price for that unit.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 12:17:07 pm by Steve »

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:56:57 pm »
Funky, you are doing great... wet test and compare to meet your needs.

Two great choices, both Marquis and D1 make quality tubs. Don't put any weight in the circ pump regarding your decision... both have well engineered water management systems and it's the jet pumps that really keep things "clean". A circ pump can result in "constant" ozonation, whether or not that is a benefit really is unknown and it is another component that draws energy constantly and will eventually need to be replaced/repaired.

I can't help you with a 2005 price though when I was shopping last summer the initial "sale" price I was given for a new 2004 Chairman II with cover lifter and steps was $9,995, then after showing that I was an educated shopper ready to buy I was quoted $8595.

Good luck!
e

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:19:23 pm »
Funky, you are doing great... wet test and compare to meet your needs.

Two great choices, both Marquis and D1 make quality tubs. Don't put any weight in the circ pump regarding your decision... both have well engineered water management systems and it's the jet pumps that really keep things "clean". A circ pump can result in "constant" ozonation, whether or not that is a benefit really is unknown and it is another component that draws energy constantly and will eventually need to be replaced/repaired.

I can't help you with a 2005 price though when I was shopping last summer the initial "sale" price I was given for a new 2004 Chairman II with cover lifter and steps was $9,995, then after showing that I was an educated shopper ready to buy I was quoted $8595.

Good luck!

I could not and would not take a deal on a Chairman II for $8595! If I sold for that I would be out of business in about 6 months!! >:(

Whoever quoted that was either trying to unload old stock or bought a factory second and didn't tell you thats what it was....

Orthofunk

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 01:32:10 pm »
You have every right to search for the best deal possible Jeff but you won't get any dealer costs. I don't know of any industry that gives out dealer costs so the consumers can set the price they want to pay. Just not how it works.

Never hurts to ask  ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 01:32:39 pm by Funky_K »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 01:46:45 pm »
Very true! ;D

zzaphod42

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 05:01:47 pm »

Never hurts to ask  ;)

Ouch! Why did you do that?

I mean...

Never mind that was lame :-[

:D :D :D

poolboy34

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 08:36:25 pm »
i'd tell ya but then i'd have to kill ya :P

Chairman II's are going for around 11K-12K these days.  Prices for spas have gone up quite a bit this year due to the rising costs of petroleum and other essential building materials, not to mention shipping costs and what have you.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 08:36:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42