What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: On the hot seat!  (Read 4153 times)

captswife

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
On the hot seat!
« on: March 20, 2005, 11:15:02 am »
Greetings to all!  My husband and I live in Santa Rosa, CA.  We are in the process of researching the best spa for us. At least a 6 seater $6 to 8,000.  We are in our 50's. The contractor is going to install the hot tub a foot or so into the ground then build a flagstone wall around the spa leaving appropriate access to controls etc.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated. We have looked at Tiger River Spas, Bengal and Dimension One Spas:Aurora. The Aurora is a water management spa not requiring chlorine and other chemicals.  Is there a downside to this chemically free system; cost etc.? Also, we have a homeshow here this weekend and there are specials going to sell spas. So if possible I'm anxious to hear from a expert. Thanks! Captswife
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 11:17:30 am by captswife »

Hot Tub Forum

On the hot seat!
« on: March 20, 2005, 11:15:02 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: On the hot seat!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 11:24:24 am »
Unfortunately, your D-1 dealer has over sold the Vision&UltraPure system. You will still need Chlorine. You can maintain a lower level (.5-1PPM) compared to a spa without these systems (3-5PPM) but to sell it  as "chemical free" or "chlorine free" is misleading.
Homeworks Financing Representative

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
;DRe: On the hot seat!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 11:43:17 am »
I don't believe there is a spa that is truly chemical free. HotTubMan is correct in that you still need some residual of sanitizer in the spa. With the D-1 spa, you can get away with a little less. The Marquis line is the same way. With their Frog System, you still need to shock the water periodically.

Good luck.

hottubber...  

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 12:03:46 pm »
If you are looking check out the Marquis at....

SPA WORLD
410 AARON STREET
COTATI, CA - 94931

the dealer in your area...

captswife

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 12:18:09 pm »
Just want to know the best spa in terms of service, warranty, comfort, maintanence, at least a six seater in the 6 to $8,000 dollar range. Thanks again!

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 01:41:31 pm »
Captswife,

Anyone here could tell you what the "Best" spa for that price range/seating.  

However that is a personal opinion.  My wife and I are in the quest for a spa as well in the general (6 folks/ 6-9K) requirement range.

We looked at the aurora....It will require chemicals...I do not know of ANY spa out there that does not.

Try looking at Caldera spa's....we were not necessarily going to  concentrate on them but so far they are leading the pack on the overall package with warranty, dealer service, quality of construction, and general feel.

We have yet to wet test any of these and that will be the determining factor for us.

One thing I did notice between the D1 spa's and the Caldera...this is just MY opinion...is that the Caldera seemed to be built like a TANK whereas the D1's sides were not as solid.  Not to say that the D1's are bad...just the Caldera was built like a tank.  Probably due to the full foam or something but the D1 did seem less solid.

Good luck in your search....please post your research so we can compare notes!!

Regards,

:)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 03:04:52 pm »
I would be a bit hesitant to sink the spa one foot into the ground.  I would think you might have a problem with moisture, bugs, rotting, etc......

You have better check with the spa dealers to see if this is ok with them.

Jonathan

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »
We do it this way:

Build a pit - bottom is a flat slab, with a drain somewhere which will carry off mucho mucho water for those times you forget to turn the hose off as you are filling the tub.

Line the walls with cement block, redwood, stone, broken concrete stacked, etc. Something which will keep the dirt off the side of the tub.

Set the tub. Test run the thing, of course.

Close up the gap around the spa with whatever decking material you use for the rest of the yard - allowing the section over the equipment area to be lifted out when access is needed.

Here's one set ALL THE WAY:
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:18 am »
It makes me nervous everytime someone wants to make their spa appear "built in".  I agree that it is very attractive, but a nightmare to service.  Within the last three months, I have run across  3 "built in" leakers.  Repairs are cost prohibitive,(crane, removal and reinstallation of flagstone/ decking, man hours etc...) these customers have chosen to continually re-fill their spas.  No matter how much you spend on a tub or what brand you buy, they are all man made and have the potential for problems.  If you proceed with the built in look, I would allow at least 24 inches all around tub.  This will more than likely rule out flagstone, but I have seen it done attractively with wood and bricks.  I would also purchase a set of straps that can be permanetly left under spa to facilitate easy crane removal if necessary.  I have repaired many, many leaks on spas that would be nearly impossible if they were built in the ground.  I have recently kicked around opening a retail store and find the Bullfrog brand spa very interesting.  Most of the plumbing and jets are inside the tub itself, therefore reducing the chance of leaks.  It is still early in my research, so you might want to check them out for yourself.  Good luck!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 04:05:04 pm »
With regards to your shopping list, you should look at adding Sundance / Jacuzzi.  I believe you'd find a fine Jacuzzi or 700 series Sundance in your price range.  The bengal is also a great spa, back by Watkins (you can't go wrong with them.)

Having said all that, the other one I'd add would be the Marquis either every day line or their main line, depending on the pricing in your area.  

Happy shopping (and wet testing !)

Mark

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 04:53:47 pm »
I have to say that we have several brands on the showroom floor and at least 5 wet models. The D1 spas that we fill with the Ultra Pure system stay crystal clear with little or no maintenance to such a noticeable difference its amazing!

BTW, The Marquis dealer that Mendencino mentioned, Spa World has been the regional dealer of the year more than once up there. If you go visit them tell Steven and Tomas that you heard about them from this forum!!

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 08:15:29 pm »
Check out sundance....was very impressed today at the dealer and subsequent wet test tonight that I will post on!  We just got back!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 01:55:11 pm »
It makes me nervous everytime someone wants to make their spa appear "built in".  I agree that it is very attractive, but a nightmare to service.  !

Lets not forget the safety (Nicklaus Grandchiild ) issues.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 01:55:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42