What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: deep vs shallow spas, one vs two pumps  (Read 7650 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
deep vs shallow spas, one vs two pumps
« on: March 12, 2005, 04:47:38 pm »
Good day all,

We are shopping for our first spa, and just had our first "wet test", a HS Vanguard, with a 36" height.

The salesperson apologized for having the water level a bit too high, my wife had a problem of floating out of the Moto seat, and I'm thinking I may enjoy a shallower tub also.

So we are looking at the HS Sovereign, with a 33" height. But it only has 1 jet pump (2.5 hp) compared to the Vanguard's two. (1.65 hp x2)

For just two-three persons in the tub at once, am I going to have enough jet pressure with the one larger pump?

Any other comments on the deep vs shallow thing?
Thanks
John

Hot Tub Forum

deep vs shallow spas, one vs two pumps
« on: March 12, 2005, 04:47:38 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: deep vs shallow spas, one vs two pumps
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 05:15:14 pm »
But it only has 1 jet pump (2.5 hp) compared to the Vanguard's two. (1.65 hp x2)

Go by how well the spa fits/feels and don't worry about how many pumps it has. If it works well for you then it has the proper HP.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 08:24:37 pm »
Good day all,

We are shopping for our first spa, and just had our first "wet test", a HS Vanguard, with a 36" height.

The salesperson apologized for having the water level a bit too high, my wife had a problem of floating out of the Moto seat, and I'm thinking I may enjoy a shallower tub also.

So we are looking at the HS Sovereign, with a 33" height. But it only has 1 jet pump (2.5 hp) compared to the Vanguard's two. (1.65 hp x2)

For just two-three persons in the tub at once, am I going to have enough jet pressure with the one larger pump?

Any other comments on the deep vs shallow thing?
Thanks
John

Spatech t.u.o. is right.  Don't worry about the number of pumps.

I own a 2003 Vanguard, which only has one pump (they recently went to 2 pumps) and it has plenty of power for me, hubby and my Mom (the only other people who have been in my spa)!

The overfilling could have an effect on floating (or I think I read that somewhere)!

The sovereign is a good tub, I wet tested it when I was looking, but fell in love with the Vanguard!

Just my thoughts!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 08:28:07 pm »
A dragster only has one engine... ;)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 08:56:02 pm »

Thanks folks

The Vanguard was setup in a private room, to be wet tested; the Sovereign floor model was dry. I was hoping someone else had the chance to test both.

I will be installing whatever tub in a 12'x12' sun room with an 8' ceiling, so the limiting factor is how much clearance I need to bring the tub in "on end" and then flip it on it's base. The 7/3 x 36" Vanguard is probably too big.

Tomorrow it's off to the Jacuzzi dealer; also we are looking at the Calderas.

My thoughts concerning the shallow vs deep spas are one can always sit (sink) down lower in a shallow tub.  I'm not a hot hot water person, today’s tub was 102 degrees and I was sweating after about a half-hour. Maybe if more of my body was out, I could stay in longer.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 09:03:22 pm »
Or, ask the dealer when you wet test if you could have the tub set at 100 or 101.  I had a dealer ask what temp I would prefer, before I ever got ready to wet test at her store!  When I requested 101, it was spot on when I got there ready to get wet!

I always suggest to wet test all you can at the beginning.  Then, when you get the search narrowed down to 2-3 tubs, wet test again.

Be sure to take a pad and pen to the wet tests.  Write down likes, dislikes, and anything else you find important to remember.  When you start testing a number of different tubs from a number of manufacturers, they can get confusing.  Taking notes sure helped me!

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:26 pm »
John,
I'm sure my salesman told me that the water depth of most Hot Spring spas can be varied by 4 or more inches (Chas can confirm or deny that).  I would set up another wet test and ask your salesman to lower the water level
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 09:36:54 pm »
True.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 09:36:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42