What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lounger vs. Not  (Read 8686 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Lounger vs. Not
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:24:28 am »
This is really a continuation of "Not Wet Test the Lounger" but didn't want it to get buried.

OK, so if I followed the thread, are you guys telling me that SOME people float out of a lounger?  Why would some and not others?

Of people who wet test, what percentage would decide NOT to buy a lounger?

Why would someone float out of a lounger but not a seat?

Any other comments concerning the pros and cons of loungers would be appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions but really want to make this purchase a good one.
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

Lounger vs. Not
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:24:28 am »

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Re: Lounger vs. Not
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:03:40 am »
When we first started looking and wet testing, my husband wouldn't even test a tub if it didn't have a lounger.  Based on what I read, I was trying to talk him out of the lounger.  When we tested the SA reward, it was our salesperson who said you tend to float less with the "granite" finish.  I did float a little during the wet test, but otherwise loved the Marquis  We ordered the the tub in the Granite and we love it.  When the jets are on full blast, I do tend to get pushed a little, but I found that if I stick my leg over the side of the seat, I don't float, I don't get pushed, and I'm very comfortable.  The lounger is my second favorite seat after the corner that has the neck jets.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:44:55 am »
Your question can best be answered by considering the biomechanics of the human body.  Consider the human head.  Your head is the heaviest and densest part of your body.  Heads don't float.  

Let's assume that you were to sit in a relatively upright seat in a spa with only your head above the water line.  Where is your head relative to your torso?  More or less directly above it, right?  So your head is pushing down to counteract the tendency of your body to float.  

Naturally a person with more fat is likely to have more float that someone who is quite lean.  Since all else being equal, women have slightly more fat than men, they in consequence have slightly more tendency to float.

Now consider the lounge in a spa.  Again assume that you were sitting in the lounge with only your head above the water line.  Where is your head relative to your torso?  Not above it, but almost adjacent to it and hence not able to help weigh you down as effectively.  So the remedy for this is in the design of the lounge.  Since they are all a little different, you will need to wet test several to make a decision.

Have fun.

Regards,

Bill

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:46:42 am »
This is really a continuation of "Not Wet Test the Lounger" but didn't want it to get buried.

OK, so if I followed the thread, are you guys telling me that SOME people float out of a lounger?  Why would some and not others?

Bodies are different and loungers are different. Look at different models of spas and notice the difference between the angles of the legs.  Loungers that put your knees up higher than your feet push your backside down in deeper. Also the angle of the back of the seat pushes your backside out more or less changing your whole center of gravity.   I'lve also found, suit/no suit a factor if your suit fills up with air bubbles.   We've heard here lots of people talking about they do float while others don't in the same model spa. [/quote]

Any other comments concerning the pros and cons of loungers would be appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions but really want to make this purchase a good one.

We are a family of 3 with a 6 person spa. The lounger is the least used seat, but I'm glad its there when I do want it.  Had we bought a smaller spa, I may have done without it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 11:15:54 am »
I think if I had it to do all over again, I'd opt for no lounger and the extra seat. I find that we spend the least amount of time in the lounger and not having it opens up a another side of the tub for possible entry.

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 11:53:05 am »
I found the loungers I couldn't touch the other end with my feet were the ones I floated in, The Beachcomber was just the right length for me, so the fit is comfortable. Even in upright seating I find if you don't  brace yourself with your feet, when jets are on high you are going to experience
some floating.   :-*

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:11:57 pm »
I was a floater in the Jacuzzi I wet tested.  In all seats, not just the lounge.

HotSpring and Sundance, I didn't float in.  Lounges or otherwise.

LA Spa, it depended on the model, some are deeper than others.

This is a reason that wet testing is so important!  There are people who wouldn't trade the lounge, others (like me) who prefer the extra seat!  It is really personal preference.

Bill S., great description of floating physics!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:22:59 pm »
To lounge or not to lounge is the question... of personal choice.

When I was shopping I was very interested in a lounger. I wet tested many tubs with loungers and found none of them to be comfortable (i floated in some and not in others) so I bought a tub without a lounger. When it comes time to shop again I will be trying out loungers.

A commonly discussed con about the lounger, in addition to floating, is that it takes up the space of another seat.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 01:25:06 pm by empolgation »
e

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 01:23:03 pm »
When we tested the SA reward, it was our salesperson who said you tend to float less with the "granite" finish.  I did float a little during the wet test, but otherwise loved the Marquis  We ordered the the tub in the Granite and we love it.  

Is the "granite" finish the smooth finish or the more mottled finish?
'06 Majesta

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 01:26:13 pm »
Is the "granite" finish the smooth finish or the more mottled finish?

It's a textured finish... it has ground up acrylic mixed in.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 01:28:11 pm by empolgation »
e

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 01:27:19 pm »
Granite finishes are the more textured finishes with 3-6 colours.

Marble or Pearlescent are smooth to the touch.
Homeworks Financing Representative

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 02:29:33 pm »
I have a lounger and I like mine. It is just me and my wife that uses the hot tub most of the time so it works good for us. It all depends on if you want to put more people in it at one time that I would think about getting one or not.
As far as floating I would guess it depends on the brand and how many jets too. Try to wet test as many as you can and go for what fits your needs. :)

Greenraisin

• See you down life's highway!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 10:13:55 pm »
I LOVE the lounger...wife has trouble reaching the bottom, but hopefully a booster seat will take care of that. I can just lay there, with and without the jets going, and RRRRRRREEEELLLLLLLAAAAAAXXXXXXXX!!!!!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:11 pm »
We love the Envoy lounger but my wife floated in the Vista.  Basically the same lounger but in a slightly different size tub.  

Another reason for floating is the currents created by the jets, pushing or pulling you out of  a seat.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 12:27:00 am »
I conclude one thing from this thread, the info within is handy in ehlping you figure out what to look for but only YOU can determine if a lounge is right for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 12:27:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42