What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 8096 times)

mapesa33

« on: March 04, 2005, 01:25:37 pm »
Hubby and I just at the beginning phase.  First I got the sticker shock over with.   :-[    Now I have been all over the internet looking at every different manufactors, reviews, etc.  That is how I found this website.  So, here is the first of many questions to come.  One of the few dealers in my area sells Saratoga.  I am not finding much info on this site about them.  I was given rough est. on two. They are both "04 floor models.
The first is Pavilion for about 9000 and the other is Victoria for 8000.  That inc cover, cover lifter, chem and delivery and set up.  Don't know if we can even go that high.  Question 2 - What we are looking for is a  large, affordable quality tub.  Any suggestions???

Hot Tub Forum

« on: March 04, 2005, 01:25:37 pm »

PoolToSpa

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 02:11:36 pm »
I have not heard much about  Saratoga myself.  A  few people I have spoke with said that they heard they were a pretty nice spa but can get pretty spendy.  What are the other brands in your area?

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:32:45 pm »
WET TEST  Hot-Springs,Caldera,Jacuzzi,Sundance,Marquis,D-1.  Compare etc.

That's the short,condensed version :)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 08:06:03 pm »
For $8000 to $9000 you can get into a much higher rated spa with a lot more feature! Like Autoplay said, in that price range try out the D1, Marquis, HotSpring, Ect...

mapesa33

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 09:40:58 pm »
Thanks for everyone that has responded.  I am feeling completely overwhelemed with all the choices.  I just need to take the time and do more showroom shopping.  I don't like looking online, and not having a clue of price ranges.  Anyway... I found a dealer that sells hot springs, caldera. Tiger,hot spot and solana.  I still have to find dealers for D1, jacuzzi and some others mentioned on this site.  We did not plan to spend this amount, but I have to say I rather get a quality tub with good service/support.   Thanks for all the info on this site.

drprwnap

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 11:53:16 pm »
Hi mapesa33,

I am a newbie also.  The only advice that I can add is:
1. Don't buy on impulse. For us, it has been hard to do.
2. Shop around, take your time.
3. Keep reading this forum. It is a GREAT site for knowledge and advice.
We have only had time to actually look at a few left over '04 Marquis (we're going back next week when the '05's arrive) and Hot Springs. Hopefully get to check out D1 tomorrow.

drprwnap
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 12:28:55 am »
FYI, saratoga makes a very nice spa.  They have a lot of similar features to those of the larger spa companies in the industry.  They are a good, quality manufacturer.

spatexport

• Am I crazy, or is it just me?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 10:10:32 am »
http://www.saratogaspas.com/

A FRAME IMPERIAL POOLS
615 Loudonville Road
Latham, NY 12110
518 785-4171

Company Store & Home of Saratoga Spas
RR 9, Latham, NY 12110
518 785-4171

Saratoga Spa & Bath CO
33 Wade Road, Latham, NY 12110
518 786-1111
518 786-1200

???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 10:59:10 am »
ISLANDER POOLS & SPAS, INC.        
1967-73 Central Avenue
Albany, NY  12205       
Phone:       518-456-0958

Islander

Their web site isn't very exciting, but you might want to go give these guys a shot?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 08:43:09 pm »
I'm a newbie myself. Still looking at different spas and wet testing a few of them.
Here's my experience with Saratoga Spa. Last week, my family and I went to their store in Latham, NY and tried out the Victoria, intending to try out others of theirs, too. At one point, we turned off all the jets just to get the feel of it with no moving water. That's when we spotted flakes of whitish material throughout the water. Ugh! It looked like dead flakes of skin and we knew it wasn't ours since we just took showers that morning.
I asked the salesman about it and their filtering system but he really didn't have anything to say except how great their system is. Not very convincing once you looked in the water. We got outta there quick and didn't bother trying out any of their other spas. We went home and took another shower!
Fortunately, there are other spa dealers in the area so we have others to choose from.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

spatexport

• Am I crazy, or is it just me?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 10:36:05 pm »
The last post summed up perfectly why I still don't understand why someone would want to buy a used hot tub?!

The white flakes were likely calcification, like the white persistent scale from boiling hard water that sticks to the pan.  But, you never know...

...corn flakes, anyone? ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 09:52:50 am »
That's when we spotted flakes of whitish material throughout the water. Ugh! It looked like dead flakes of skin and we knew it wasn't ours since we just took showers that morning.
Not having seen it, I can only guess, but I would certainly say it was just water mold. Water mold can happen to any spa of any brand, with or without a good filtration system. It gets into the water from an outside source, and is easily prevented (chlorine) but hard to eradicate (lots and lots of chlorine and several filter cleanings). It is harmless to humans, but obviously disasterous to the sale of spas...

As awful as your experience was, did you like the shape and jetting of the tub?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 04:31:38 pm »
Chas,
Shape & jetting were OK and would have made a fine choice until we tried some other brands. We realized how important knowing the gallons per minute really is once we tried others. The whole family enjoyed spas with more powerful jets than the Victorian.
I believe the Saratog Spa salesman said total gpm is 210 on the Victorian or maybe 240. We found Marquis & D1 were more powerful. So we're deciding between the Marquis Reward & D1 Chaiman II.
I'm learning a lot from this forum. Tips, suggestions, pitfalls, humor - it has it all.

Phil

poolboy34

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 04:45:44 pm »
180GPM.........the rate that each pump in a D-1 spa moves water.  

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 09:17:39 pm »
180GPM.........the rate that each pump in a D-1 spa moves water.  

So anyone know what the GPM is for a Reward? It certainly was much stronger that the Victorian.

Phil

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 09:17:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42