What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Outside Pump?  (Read 7492 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Outside Pump?
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:24:17 am »
Another question!

When we were at the Home Show, one of the dealers had hot tubs (PDC) where the pumps were on the outside of the hot tub (underneath a step).  Claimed that this made it much easier to maintain and fix any problems.  

Made sense at the time but we got to wondering why none of the other brands had this feature.

Also, we live in Pennsylvania where the winters get very cold--several days in a row in the single digits.  Wouldn't this pose a problem in that the pumps would be more apt to freeze up?

Any pros/cons on an "outside" vs. "inside" pump location?

Thanks.
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

Outside Pump?
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:24:17 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Outside Pump?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
PDC is a thermal pane design. I don't see anywhere on their site that indicates an external pump? The combination of thermal pane and external pumps would make an external pump usless as it can't capture exhaust heat from the motors which is the primary reason for a thermal pane design. Where it is beneficial is in increasing insulation, addressing noise from within the cabinet, easier access to pumps and allowing the pumps to run at a cooler temperature.

Could it have been Beachcomber that you saw? ???

Steve
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 10:51:24 am by Steve »

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 10:58:06 am »
No, definitely PDC--I have the brochure.

The brochure doesn't show any pictures but a line from their brochure says, "Located beneath a matching end cabinet that protects the equipment and remains within easy reach for economical servicing and efficient operation."

While we're on the subject, is there an advantage to the thermal pane vs. the usual foam insulation?
'06 Majesta

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 11:01:46 am »
While we're on the subject, is there an advantage to the thermal pane vs. the usual foam insulation?

Oh, my god, now you have done it!
I highly suggest you search the archives for information regarding foam, full foam, FF, and thermopane.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:03:23 am »
First things first, I wouldn't buy a spa based on the premise that the pumps were going to break down. Secondly, of the hundreds of manufacturers out there today, why only PDC and Beachcomber put the equipment under the step is beyond me. Maybe there is more interior room in the spa? If that is the case, it sounds like a good idea. :-/
I would be more concerned with the quality of the product as a whole, than the pump being outside the vessel. There are many brands of spas that are better featured than the PDC line probably priced around the same.
Good luck with your decision. ;D

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 11:08:55 am »
Steve, PDC does offer pumps inside or outside the cabinet. I have seen them in my area. I did not ask them what they recommended for weather emergencies.

hottubber

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:13:07 am »
If the pumps are outside the spa, what happens in sub zero temperatures? Are freeze-ups covered under the warrantee? These are the questions that I would ask the dealer, not just because they're accessible.
In your region, it must be a problem. ;D

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 11:28:08 am »
Well look at me learning stuff today! ;D

Do the pumps work well under a step as opposed to inside the cabinet? Beachcomber has been doing it for almost 20 years with the large majority of those sales in Canada and I've sold close to 1000 of them. I'd say yeh! ;D

Why do they do it? Read the thread on proprietary features... das why ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 11:33:07 am by Steve »

hottubber

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 12:10:30 pm »
steve,

I read the post on Protec. It sounds like a great idea. Is that what PDC Spa is doing also? ???

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 12:25:32 pm »
I guess so according to tubbinsoon. Personally, I was unaware of this but then again, I've never seen or heard much on PDC.

I am surprised they don't make that feature more obvious on their web site. It's a feature that has a story to it when done properly so why not promote it? ???

Steve

• Wot the
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 01:53:17 pm »
I threw away my brochure but the closest you can get to reading about it is on their web page http://www.pdcspas.com/powerful-equipment.asp where there is a cryptic indication it is under something. The ones I saw, had the pak under the steps. Not sure if the steps were especially made and insulated or what.

• Wot the
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 02:02:17 pm »
I don't know if I am remembering this or making it up but it seems like the Pak is setting just outside the normal access area and is insulated by the enclosed steps. So, it is like being inside but is in the adjacent insulated area. No difference in freezing if just an extension of normal access area. Clever to me and my question was only if it was noisier. Since I was doing an inside install, I was not concerned about freezing but noise. They did not want to get anywhere near my price so I bailed out on looking at their stuff. I thought they had nice tubs, nice features etc. But it was another one of these new dealers where last year they dealt another brand.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 02:10:41 pm »
Well they sure don't spell it out do they? :-/

If it is under the step, it would have to be insulated to some degree but also be temperature balanced to keep the motors from over heating.

It's a very distinct feature and I can't believe it's not promoted. That baffles me... ???

Steve
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 02:11:17 pm by Steve »

• Wot the
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 02:50:07 pm »
...under the steps, yes but also opens into the normal pak compartment so heat moves out to cooler area to be replaced by cooler air? The old which moves question. Cold or hot. I think hot has more energy so it moves or at least the differential causes change or place.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 02:53:37 pm »
If that's the case, why even put it outside the cabinet? ???

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 02:53:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42