What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 4803 times)

drprwnap

Another newbie
« on: February 27, 2005, 09:13:48 pm »
Hi folks,
    First off, let me say that this is a GREAT forum and thank you for all the good advice so far.  
      Our quest for the "perfect spa" has just begun. The wife and I went to the local HS dealer yesterday. Came away VERY impressed. When the salesman came over to us, I made it very clear that I just started looking and wasn't buying yet. He started asking us questions so he could offer the right spa for us. The two questions that stuck in my mind were: "How many people will be using the spa daily?" and "Are you a floater or a sinker?" He then went on to explain why he asked these questions as it related to the selection of a spa. We spent 1.5 hours just looking, talking and dry testing different spas. At the end we sat down, he gave us the following prices:

Vangard: 8199
Sovereign: 7299
Envoy: 8699

This included cover, lifter, delivery, set up, and starter chemicals. He then told us to make an appointment for a wet test when we're ready (it's after hours). No high pressure sale, just a ton of good information.
    Today we went to the Sundance / Jacuzzi dealer. Came away unimpressed. The salesman was ok, but did not try to find out what our needs were.  He was informative but unimpressive.  Dry tesed a number of spas. The cameo I ruled out immediately because none of the seats were cumfortable for me. The altamar was nice as were the Jacuzzi's.
    We plan to look at Marquis and D1 in the next couple of weeks. Bottom line, so far is that we both like HS over the others. I think the little lady has already made a decision. I still want to check out the other two makes and then on to wet testing.
   Once again, thanks for all the good information and advice.  I'll keep posting but this is going to be a long process (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

Another newbie
« on: February 27, 2005, 09:13:48 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:24:47 pm »
The two questions that stuck in my mind were: "How many people will be using the spa daily?" and "Are you a floater or a sinker?"

Nothing against HS but that second question is ridiculous. First off, how the heck would you know as it depends on a couple things that most shoppers are unaware of.

The design of the lounger (as this is where most people float if they're going to) is critical. Loungers that recline and cause you to lose the center of gravity will cause most of us to float. Add calf massagers into a lounger that push the body upwards and you therefore increase this possibility.

Secondly, body fat has a great deal to do with it as the higher the % of body fat, the increased possibility of floating. We're all built different and it's the reason that many here, including myself, recommend wet testing any spa prior to the purchase. Asking someone if they float is not the way to determine this... ???

Steve
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 09:25:35 pm by Steve »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 09:45:19 pm »
how the heck would you know as it depends on a couple things that most shoppers are unaware of. Asking someone if they float is not the way to determine this... Steve
Steve, buddy - step outside for a moment. (Nice way of saying to chill...)

I know I'm a floater - and I would be willing to say that if a person doesn't know the answer, they will suddenly realize why it is so important to wet test.

I doubt the guy gets any answers other than one of these, " I don't know. "

At that point he invites them to find out by taking a wet test.

Or they may answer, "I have had a spa before and I know I float out of any seat that puts me in real deep.... " etc. etc.

The guy was doing exactly what you wanted him to, but in a more subtle way.

OK - you can come back in now.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:23:46 am »
Chas is probably right. The salesman was probably asking the question only as a way to explain the area of concern, why its relevant and why they might want to test the spas out.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 11:43:49 am »
 I'll keep posting but this is going to be a long process (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Your right, unless your an impulsive buyer, which doesn't appear to be the case.  Make that work for you. Speaking generically about salesman, if you say, "I like your spa, but spa "X" had an interesting feature, might open room from discussion. It never hurts to let a salesman know your looking elsewhere.

Do post again, I think you will find lots of people here genuinely interested in what you have to say and you end up doing.

After you make the decision don't look back, in a year, you probably won't even remember what you paid, or the pain of shopping.

(I keep repeating that, hoping it will be adopted as "Bill's law" similar to Chas' law - change the water after a month and Lori's law - "Wet test")
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 12:18:11 pm »
What about "Stuarts Law"?

ALWAYS LOOK AT MARQUIS AND D1 BEFORE MAKING A FINAL DECISION! :D :D :D

BadBack

• In a state of Euphoria!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 12:24:15 pm »
Stuart, have you seen the new Euphoria yet?  Any pictures or opinions?

saz

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:29:25 pm »

have to agree with this - we've got a reward, and for us it was the best tub out there
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 12:29:40 pm by saz »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 12:30:24 pm »
Stuart, have you seen the new Euphoria yet?  Any pictures or opinions?

I will have pictures soon! I think that it is going to be a pretty unbeatable spa but I will reserve final judgment for the wet test! As soon as I'm giving the go ahead from the factory, I will post pics...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 12:33:08 pm »

We decided that taking advice from a guy who is perpetually on "vacation" while we're busy working is not a wise idea.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BadBack

• In a state of Euphoria!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 12:40:02 pm »
Stuart,
Can you tell me if it still has the two rather high cool down seats?  I like the spa but I thought it would be better with only one seat that high.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 01:12:41 pm »

We decided that taking advice from a guy who is perpetually on "vacation" while we're busy working is not a wise idea.

;D

LMAO!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 01:33:48 pm »
Stuart,
Can you tell me if it still has the two rather high cool down seats?  I like the spa but I thought it would be better with only one seat that high.

I believe the cool down seats are at 2 differant heights which is pretty cool (pardon the pun). In a spa that size, with plenty of other seating I think 2 cool down seats are a real plus incase everyone wants to cool down around the same time.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 01:34:15 pm »

;D

LMAO!!!

I'm not!!

drprwnap

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 05:38:33 pm »
 Hey Steve,
I had to omit some things from my original post in order to keep it short. We told the salesman that my brother had a hot tub and we had been in it quite a bit. After he asked us the "float" quesiton, he went on to explain about how the seats are designed, body fat, and everything else you pointed out.  I guess it was a way for him to get to the topic of seat design, loungers, ect.  Anyway, this weekend it's time to look at D-1 and Marquis!!!!!!!1
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 05:38:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42