What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Warranty Processing Fee?????  (Read 15386 times)

Max78

Sundance Warranty Processing Fee?????
« on: February 12, 2005, 03:32:23 pm »
Is anyone aware of a $45.00 warranty processing fee from Sundance (dealers or owners)?  I just went out to add some chemicals to my Optima and the display was flashing between "105" and "OH".  Booklet says heater is deactivated.  My temp is set at 98.  I called my dealer and the service dept. will contact me Monday to set up an appointment.  I was asked how I would like to handle the $45.00 warranty processing fee.  This took me by surprise.  I was told this was something that Sundance started at the beginning of this year.  I have had my spa for 5 months.  One of the reasons I went with Sundance was because of the warranty and was told there were no charges for work covered under the warranty.  This dealer came highly recommended by many people I know and one person in particular who purchased a tub from them 11 years ago and is still very satisfied.  Anyone else know of this charge??  I tried to call Sundance but offices are closed til Monday.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Warranty Processing Fee?????
« on: February 12, 2005, 03:32:23 pm »

Chris_H

Re: Sundance Warranty Processing Fee?????
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 04:38:06 pm »
I am not aware of this processing fee.  I am guessing this is what most call a per-trip charge.  

Mileage to your house is not included in the warranty.  Some dealers do charge for this, some do not.

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 04:45:00 pm »
Unbelievably crappy, in my humble opinion.  Shameful customer service.  Five months?
Our local Sundance dealer (also sells hot springs) would never charge for warranty work.

Elle

Max78

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 05:27:19 pm »
I am shocked also.  This dealer has been in business for 16 years and came highly recommended.  I specifically questioned him regarding ANY charges during the warranty period.  I was told there would not be any charges during the warranty period and there would be NO mileage charged either.  But today they said they would charge the $45.00 warranty processing fee for paperwork which Sundance supposedly implemented this year PLUS they wanted to charge me .30 cents a mile for anything over 20 miles.  I live 80-90 miles away!  I was told they could waive the mileage since it was their policy but couldn't waive the warranty processing fee since that was imposed by Sundance.  I am extremely frustrated and feel I am getting stung big time.  I still need to talk to the owner directly plus I am going to speak to Sundance.  I feel that part of the price you pay is for the warranty and you should not be charged any extra fees.  Otherwise, I could have purchased a cheaper spa, banked the extra money and drew interest on it and used that money for any repairs.
Are there any Sundance dealers on this board who are aware of this new processing fee???  Or is my dealer just trying to make a little extra on warranty work???

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 05:43:24 pm »
Just curious, when you purchased did you purchase from your closest Sundance dealer?  90 miles seems like a long drive.

I don't think Sundance implemented anything this year (about 99.9999%) sure.  I think your dealer is asking you to pay for mileage.  You are 90 miles away and if I purchased a spa from a dealer 90 miles away I would expect to be charged for mileage.  That is just me.

Just so you are aware, the dealer has the right to charge you, for what he is charging you even if you don't like it.

Max78

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 06:04:12 pm »
Chris,

The closest dealer is 75 miles away.  This one was a few miles further but I didn't figure 15 miles was going to make that big of a difference if I was driving 75 to begin with.  He has several customers in this area.  Like I said previously, I specifically questioned the owner regarding any and all charges I would incur during warranty work.  I was told there would NOT be any.  I also questioned about mileage charges.  He said there would NOT be any during the warranty period.  Now, today I am told there will be a $45.00 "Warranty Processing Fee" that was passed on to dealers by Sundance at the beginning of this year PLUS a .30 cent per mile charge for anything over 20 miles that also started at the beginning of this year.  They told me they could waive the mileage charge but not the "Warranty Processing Fee" since it was charged by Sundance and not by them.  You are right.  He has a right to charge whatever he wants but I think it is bad customer service to sell a product and give the impression that there are no charges (mileage or otherwise) for warranty work then turn around 5 months later and decide to change the policy and not let their customers be aware of it until they call for service.  I spent 5 months researching and reading this board plus numerous other sites and thought I had found a reputable dealer, which was something that was stressed as very important.  I talked to other customers who had purchased spas there and asked the dealer numerous questions (including any charges for warranty work...I was told there would be mileage charges and hourly charges AFTER the warranty expired but none before).  So I guess a person can do all of their homework, wet test numerous brands, get references from previous customers, ask the dealer all of the questions you can possibly ask and still end up in a situation like this.  

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 08:01:33 pm »
I feel so badly for you, Max.  I'm just thinking about my own warranty issues and they pale in comparison.     In my case, I had major warranty work.  My dealer was out at my house at least 10 times while the issue was being resolved.  Will you be charged the warranty processing fee with each visit, or it is a one shot deal regardless of how many times they have to come out?  In my case, I am about 15 miles from my dealer.  I could actually understand the milage fee for as far as you are from them...but I certainly do not understand the other fee.

Elle

steve771

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 08:03:43 pm »
A rip-off to be sure for a 5 month old spa, IMHO.

Here's another spa dealer/car dealer comparison, with advance apologies to the few honest dealers in both (I think all the honest ones are on these boards!).  When my van had trouble under the extended warranty (full coverage, no deductible), the dealer said no problem.  When I went to pick up the car, I was charged $30.85 over and above the warranty amount for "shop fees"!  I complained to the warranty company but was told the dealer had a right to charge such fees.  I know how you feel!  >:(

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 08:17:07 pm »
I'd call Sundance customer service and ask about thsi "new" policy. I can certainly see a trip charge but that should have been discussed and even put in writing at the time of pruchase.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 08:44:02 pm »
Maybe the dealer really isn't that good after all - considering they are willing to gamble your future relationship over 45$ ???

Did your friends who recommended the dealer have any situations arise that 'tested' the metal of the dealer in question over their time owning their tub? If so, how did they handle it?

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 09:08:40 am »
As a Sundance dealer for quite some time, I am not aware of any processing fee charged by Sundance. I will,
although state that if you are 90 miles from my location, I probably would consider a travel fee to difer some of cost for gas. Warrantee service is covered 100% for parts and labor, the dealer has the discretion to charge for travel in extenuating circumstances

Quick question though, 90 miles away? Sundance typically puts dealers in a tighter area than that. I wish I could be of more help, I would contact Sundance also.
Good luck with your dealer. I am sure if you called them to let them know it was never mentioned during the sales presentation, they may wave the charge. If they don't, then send your friends elsewhere to buy. And, let them know that... :-/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 09:10:26 am by hottubber »

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 09:22:40 am »
I'm just in the process of shopping for a tub, but when I used the dealer locator for Sundance, our closest dealer is 120 miles away :(.  We live in a very rural area in TX.  The closest metropolitan area of any size is 120 miles from us.  So it's a two hour drive just for me to go shopping for a tub.  As far as I can tell from researching the different brands and using the dealer locators on each site, my choices will include Hot Springs, Coleman, Jacuzzi, D-1's, and Sundance.  The closest Marquis dealer was 4 hours away and in Oklahoma.  
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 11:20:51 am »
I am also not aware of any such charge, and I know many Sundance dealers.

I think your dealer figures he has you over a barrel. He doesn't: call the factory. Call the factory and explain, and ask them to either send the other dealer or have it taken care of some other way - for example ask the factory if there is a local repair person they may have used or are willing to use to help you.

A mileage charge is a fact of life for those of us who live in rural parts, sorry. But this other charge sounds trumped up.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 12:39:36 pm »
The Sundance warranty says that dealers may impose their own trip charges for warranty work.  That's a dealer thing, not a Sundance thing.  I bet your dealer's just trying to keep you from being upset at him.
Brwman
Brewman

Max78

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 01:05:41 pm »
Brewman,
 Well, it's not working if that is what he is trying to do.  He wanted to charge for mileage AND processing the paperwork which would be approx. $93.00 total.  I think that is unreasonable.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 01:05:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42