What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hey - What's going on???  (Read 6946 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Hey - What's going on???
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:48:17 am »
I went onto Ebay and there are dealers selling Jacuzzi J series and Beachcomber tubs.

Do the major manufacurers allow that?

I would think that it would be a nightmare when it comes to warranty service.

Hot Tub Forum

Hey - What's going on???
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:48:17 am »

zzaphod42

Re: Hey - What's going on???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:56:48 pm »
No they do not.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 06:34:40 pm »
I can't see how buying this way would even be deisrable.  
Brewman
Brewman

zzaphod42

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
Unfortunately for a certain percentage of people all they care about is that dollar figure...until something happens and then they are the first to start yelling.

Go figure.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 05:44:25 pm »
As a dealer rep I should be careful but what's stopping someone from incorporating themselves and purchasing spas from a manufacturer to sell on ebay?

Other than the obvious facts of lack of service, etc., not everyone cares about that if they can save $.

I know our application requires details that would eliminate this possibility but I'm guessing some manufacturers don't operate on as stringent guidelines...

Steve

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:38:12 pm by Steve »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 08:25:55 pm »
Well, I know of at least one manufacturer who puts it right in the contract: no Internet sales.

:-[
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 09:55:13 pm »
I would think that a major manufacturer would definitely put a squash on selling on the internet. I personally think people are crazy to spend any money over $50 on something that may not have a warranty or be problematic.

I bought an electronic thermostat on EBAY once and paid $45 for it - a great buy! I hooked it up and my BRAND NEW central air conditioning unit wouldn't work ... I put on my old thermostat and it still didn't work! I got that sinking feeling in my stomach ... what did I do! Luckily it was a broken wire near the furnace and wasn't the thermostat - I learned my lesson!!!

There has always been a grey market for electronics and people spend their hard earned money to find out they have no warranty due to the fact that the item was smuggled in - that's why they got such a great buy in the first place.

Can you hide a hot tub under your shirt??  :o I'm a big guy but not that big!

Also, I guess learning a lot from here and Doc's board I tend to be careful - I went to a dealer once and saw about 6 tubs basking in the sun - no cover and green rain water with something swimming in them. One was a Beachcomber 730 and the price on it was FANTASTIC - I thought about it and remember the warnings -> DON'T LET YOUR ACRYLIC SHELL BAKE IN THE SUN ... so I didn't want to be the one who bought it and have it delaminate.

I guess if you can buy something, not have problems and actually save a lot of money - it's worth it. But with that said I'm too chicken to fork over a lot of money to an EBAY seller

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 11:52:08 pm »
Well, is it me - or do you usually pay more for items on E Bay? I have purchased four credit card machines on ebay, and three of them where missing parts. One guy offered to take care of it, the others said I was out of luck. I ended up ordering the replacement parts from the manufacturer, and while I was at their site I discovered they sell reman items direct - or through some authorized dealers. The prices are about the same, but all the parts would be there...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 06:46:03 am »
Good Point Chas!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 07:46:30 am »
I've gotten some pretty good deals on Ebay.  I purchased a new pool table light for at least $100 cheaper than available locally.
But I've seen deals where by the time you add shipping (and handling!) charges, the cost isn't much different than purchasing locally.  
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 08:02:57 am »
I can't see how buying this way would even be deisrable.  
Brewman

Ebay people are bargain hunters.  If someone could get a quality spa for 75% of what they might otherwise,someone might thing it might offset service issues.  Unfortunately bargains on Ebay are rare on new products. So many sellers bid up their own items to a higher price anywhere and Ebay doesn't care as long as they get theirs.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 08:08:51 am »
Ebay was great in its infancy, but has taken a big slide with all the power sellers that have taken over. When it was private individuals, on a huge scale as buyers and sellers things were great. Then 60 minutes did a story on how one lady was making a fortune whiile never leaving her house.   Now, I've dealt with some good power sellers and as long as everyone is happy, more power to them, but be assured, Ebay is looking after them not you.  Buy a hot tub there? Only under the most unlikely circumstances.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 08:10:44 am »
But I've seen deals where by the time you add shipping (and handling!) charges, the cost isn't much different than purchasing locally.  
Brewman

You've learned a good lesson, learn how to read in and find the shipping cost. Many ebay sellers make thier profit from shipping and handling charges and pratically give the product away.  Cell phone accesories are a good example.

OHspaDealer

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 11:29:08 am »
Ive gotten some office phones off of Ebay. Great condition, and of course they were used. But we did save over 150/phone.  Theres some bargains to be found, but then again, theres a lot of junk merchandise out there. I know Id never buy a spa on there, since I can see it, touch it, test it. But to each their own.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 11:33:41 am »
Ive gotten some office phones off of Ebay. Great condition, and of course they were used. But we did save over 150/phone.  Theres some bargains to be found, but then again, theres a lot of junk merchandise out there. I know Id never buy a spa on there, since I can see it, touch it, test it. But to each their own.

Good post. Office phones are a great example. There must be 100 obsolete business phones you can't replace, but with all the business failings in the country, Ebay can be almost the only source.  

I've sold a lot of that type of equipment on Ebay, but I tell the buyer, I will hold your money in Paypal until you are satisifed and then if not, I'll refund everything except the shipping charges.   Most power sellers can't and won't do that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 11:33:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42