What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cold weather tubbing  (Read 4163 times)

wade

cold weather tubbing
« on: February 20, 2005, 02:25:31 pm »
 :o :o :o  I have seen this topic here before. Just for fun has any of you ever tryed -40. a touqe is amust.That would be awinter hat for you American tubbys.             It was quite fun .the bubbles would actually freese on top.This was 2 newyears eves ago. may need some bubblypops to covince other not dedicated to tubbing                                         tub on
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 02:32:29 pm by wade »

Hot Tub Forum

cold weather tubbing
« on: February 20, 2005, 02:25:31 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: cold weather tubbing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 03:19:52 pm »
4F is the coldest I have done so far.  On the rare colder nights than that around here, something else has come up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 08:28:50 am »
Is that -40 C or -40 F?  Or does it really matter at that point.  No way would I go out there at -40F!  (Even if it ever did get that cold here)

I did a -5 F soak for about an hour back in December.  Absolutely no wind.  No cap on my head either.  The hair on the back of my head froze.

It was dark, and I always take a flashlight down to the spa when we soak in the dark.  The flashlight is a Maglite (aluminim), and my hand stuck to it when I picked it up.  Also, I had to keep dunking my beverage glass in the spa water to keep it from freezing solid.

All in all, it was an interesting experience.  But I did it solo- too cold for Mrs. B.
Brewman
Brewman

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 10:21:36 am »
...interesting! For a couple of frost-bitten Canadian soakers we found the recent "warm spell" (0 Celcius) to be a little warm out for our soak!

My wife and I find that we don't spend nearly the same amount of time in the tub during 'warmer' days...

We also wonder, with this trend - will we still want to use the tub in the hot summer months?

In the past six months we've used our tub at least 5x/week barring any 'unreasonable' temps! ;)

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 10:25:01 am »
A number of years ago we were at Steamboat Springs Colorado and tubbed at -47 F.  When you walked back to the condo all you saw was a cloud moving along the walkway

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 10:37:51 am »
I can remember once soaking in a rather brisk 54 degrees. I don't remember how long that particular cold snap lasted, but I do remember Mrs. Chas tended to sleep much closer to the center of the bed throughout it.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 10:52:04 am »
Is that -40 C or -40 F?  Or does it really matter at that point.  No way would I go out there at -40F!  (Even if it ever did get that cold here)

I think -40 is where C and F cross on the scales.  So... they are the same. :)
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 11:28:29 am »
Thanks, I thought at some point the two matched.
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 11:39:16 am »
Is that -40 C or -40 F?  Or does it really matter at that point.  
Brewman

I believe it is somewhere around -42 that C or F are equal. Either direction from there F changes more than C for the same temperature difference.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 11:41:40 am »
My wife and I find that we don't spend nearly the same amount of time in the tub during 'warmer' days...

We also wonder, with this trend - will we still want to use the tub in the hot summer months?
Jc

Just adjust the temp ahead of time. (long term thing) When the temp is near zero we can enjoy a long comfortable soak at 104F, but if the temp outside if 40-50 without wind, that is too warm for a long soak.  Summer evenings when it cools after sunset we still enjoy 101-102
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 03:02:51 pm by wmccall »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 11:42:30 am »

I think -40 is where C and F cross on the scales.  So... they are the same. :)

Your correct...ding, ding, ding! You win... well let's just leave it at your right!

But at -40 C or F you still at 233 Kelvin so you not even to 0 yet!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 11:57:19 am »
A number of years ago we were at Steamboat Springs Colorado and tubbed at -47 F.  When you walked back to the condo all you saw was a cloud moving along the walkway

I worked a herd of cattle in those mountains when I was a kid. There where times coming off the mountain you hugged as close to your horse as you could to keep from freezing! In fact I've seen sweat freeze on the horses flanks!

I don't know how those crazy Northerners can stand being in that kind of temp for extended periods.

Steamboat only gets cold in short bursts and their coldest recorded temp was the  –54 deg F that occurred in Steamboat on 7 January 1913. Pretty rare to get below -20 but I've seen it.

An old game warden up there named Ben Green said that a friend of his walked out of a bar around 1913 and froze stiff right on the street corner….He said it wasn’t all bad though, they hung a lantern on his ear and used him for a light pole that winter! ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 05:23:42 am »
At 0F I gota put a sweater over my T-shirt. At -10F I dig out the hat. at -20 a jacket becomes a must. At -30 ice fishing gets good. At -40 we start asking each other out ice fishing if it's cold enough for ya. At -50 we gota wear gloves and the whiskey won't quite freeze. After that we turn on the heat at the shack.

Northern Minnesota ahhhh yes. Bring the hot dish and lutafisk, I got da beer
Retired

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 10:53:20 am »
Is that -40 C or -40 F?  Or does it really matter at that point.

Actually it does'nt matter at all as they are both the same. And that is just down right cold.

Q

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 11:25:38 am »
When it comes to cold and inclimate weather, nothing beats Newfoundland.

Even other Canadians go "Newfoundland in winter? I'd rather go live under King Bush."

Hot tubbing around here is for hardcore tubbers only.  ;)

"If you want to see what the weather is going to be like in Newfoundland, just wait five minutes."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 11:25:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42