What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi premium 345 in winter  (Read 3117 times)

Mike134

Jacuzzi premium 345 in winter
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:16:19 pm »
I'm looking to buy a Jacuzzi 345 for my place in Upper Michigan where winter temps run to 20 below.  Looked at the underside and see it's foamed with open cell foam and also not foamed totally in like a solid block. What's been people's experience with Jucuzzi's in the cold north woods?  I hear a good tub will only cost $25 a month while a poorly insulated one can be $100 to run.

Thanks in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi premium 345 in winter
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:16:19 pm »

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
Re: Jacuzzi premium 345 in winter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:20:37 pm »
I have had the 345 since July '04, but Columbus Oh is a far cry from the cold north woods. We have had a pretty cold winter (for us) and while I have not kept a spreadsheet of my electric bill it has not increased appreciably. I keep the tub at 103 and am in it every night for at least one 20 min cycle. It sits on it's own deck 3 feet off the ground so the top of the tub is flush with the existing deck so it is pretty exposed to the elements all around. It seems the totally enclosed bottom does help.

I had to have the light bulb replaced once (it was touching the plastic housing and failed prematurely) and one of the rings that holds in the foot blaster jet reglued, otherwise no problems. I am pleased with the tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 09:27:03 pm »
I sold Jacuzzi over ten years ago, and they had a well-deserved reputation for being energy hogs. I have heard that they have improved greatly since then.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 02:56:44 am »
I sold Jacuzzi over ten years ago, and they had a well-deserved reputation for being energy hogs. I have heard that they have improved greatly since then.

Energy hogs in Southern California?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:01:29 pm »
Yup. They used to shoot 1/2 pound foam into molds lined with baggies. These pillow-like things were added last, after the tub was complete and ready to ship. No, these were not thermal pane spas, they were just poorly insulated spas.

They had a lot going for them: The jets were amazing, the pluming didn't create any water noise, you could shut off one or more jets - depending on model - to amp up the remainin jets. They had blowers, I'm not a big fan of the things, but these were very quiet and did the job well.

The control systems were all relays at the time, and not very good relays. But they worked well, until the first relay went out. At that time, it was best just to replace the entire wiring harness and all the control relays, because you were going to have to do it sooner or later.

As I said, they have come a long way since then.

One thing hasn't changed - at least in my opinion: they make a very nice-looking tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

gb60

• No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Jacuzzi premium 345 in winterI've had my
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 12:50:09 am »
I've had my j-345 since mid November. I'm in central Massachusetts, and my bill is up $35-$40 from last year. I also am in most every day for one 20 min. cycle. My power company lists KWH/Days. Went from 11 last Jan to 31 this year. You wanna play............

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
Re: Jacuzzi premium 345 in winterI've had my
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 12:18:23 am »
I've had my j-345 since mid November. I'm in central Massachusetts, and my bill is up $35-$40 from last year. I also am in most every day for one 20 min. cycle. My power company lists KWH/Days. Went from 11 last Jan to 31 this year. You wanna play............

I would, but I have no idea what you just said ???

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 08:18:44 am »
If I follow, his daily KWH usage for January was 31 KWH per day, vs 11 KWH per day last January.  If so, then you are using about 630 KWH per month for your spa, which would cost maybe an extra $55 to $60 per month for the spa in January, assuming a cost of about $0.10/kwh.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 08:18:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42