What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: BLEMS  (Read 5848 times)

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
BLEMS
« on: February 17, 2005, 06:03:14 pm »
How do the different dealers and manufacturers handle spas with blems, or other damage caused during the manufacturing process?

Spahappy :D

Hot Tub Forum

BLEMS
« on: February 17, 2005, 06:03:14 pm »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Re: BLEMS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:07:21 am »
100% unacceptable.

Here's the deal. I dont sell alot of spas, mainly due to the fact I'm a service tech without a showroom, but defects, blems, or shipping damage is not something I tolerate. Why should I ask a customer to purchase something that is less than perfect? Why would I set a precident that would tell others that I sell junk at discount?

Even in delivering product for other vendors, if I have the opportunity to inspect what has been sold to be delivered, I will alert the vendor of the problem before its even loaded- and wont deliver anything that has a noticable defect... That sort of thing is too much a waste of time--- And if the vendor insists on delivering a 'blem' I insist on being paid to pick up the 'blem' after its rejected and insist on being paid yet again to deliver any replacement product...

And yes,... I look down on those who do choose to sell 'factory blems', 'scratch and dent', and 'factory seconds'... Perhaps my standards are set high, but I dont want to give anyone the impression that anything less than factory perfect is acceptable.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:30:57 am »
I get them from time to time, but very few and far between. The factory doesn't offer very big discounts, so I don't have much of a savings to pass on.

However, as a note, the only special spas I deal with are still covered by the full factory warranty, and the ones I have handled had such minor flaws that the customer couldn't tell me where or what the problem was.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:44:20 am »
Well we don't sell them, but I'm considering buying one.

I've had no experience in blems what so ever. Don't know if they get worse,leak, blow up , or...what someone like a loyal 10 year employee like myself should have to pay for one.

See it's going up to the cabin and I don't want anything I couldn't afford to lose. I could explain that, but it wouldn't be politically correct to elaberate.

Spatech you do work for a number of manufacturers so you would know how some of them treat blems and the resale or return to manufacturer policy.

Coleman will take this spa back or the boss( I'll call him Mike ) has the opportunity to purchase in for X-amount. Let me say...I was surprised at how much that was.

This spa was a 2004 installed for 6 months, Coleman, replaced it with a  2005 spa, same color, new cover, no delivery fee, no additional electrical cost to the customer.

I was told, Coleman won't warrenty the blem.

This is a surface blem. Is there really that much to worry about?

1st off I want to know if I'm getting a good deal. Like I said I was a bit surprised at how much I'd have to pay for a blem, with no warranty.

This is new territory for me, and I know, as a tech or a dealer, I'd never want the potential headaches that could surface with a less than perfect spa.....

As a consumer....I might overlook the no warranty thing, untill something happens. >:(

As a dealer, I'd tell myself....why don't you listen to your own advise.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 01:56:21 am by spahappy »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 05:14:42 am »
I would not have a problem with a blem at all, as long as it was a cosmetic blem as most are and it wasn't as Chas said a very noticable thing. At a substantal savings of course, with or with out warranty would not matter. I have never had much use for a warranty other than to get free parts. But if the factory second was because they forgot to glue the PVC joints then it may be a bit different story :) Or plumbed directly to the heater and forgot to install a pump, or forgot to install jets and just pumped a circle under the cabinet, or left off the topside control so you had to turn it on at the breaker every time, or.....well you get the picture.
Retired

Bigbender

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 12:53:09 pm »
When we were shopping for our tub a few months ago, the PDC dealer had a tub we really liked but it was about $800 higher than our price limit. This situation prompted me to ask about blemished tubs. They offered a 15% discount (or slightly less) for a "tolerable but noticeable" cosmetic blemish within the tub interior. I didn't think their offer made it worth while though because it meant a complete loss of warranty on the acrylic finish.

We purchased our un-blemished Coleman with the same amount of bells and whistles and it was within our price rance.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 01:19:54 pm »
Blems, as mentioned, are generally a cosmetic thing and very minor. In most cases in the past with Beachcomber, if we didn't point them out to a customer, they wouldn't know. Quite often we received a $300-500 discount from the factory and just passed that savings on to the consumer. Not a huge savings but it can offset the cost of electrical and people don't mind if it doesn't effect the warranty in any way.

Now with Hydropool, there's no such thing as blems! ;D

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 05:14:27 pm »
Now with Hydropool, there's no such thing as blems! ;D

Steve

hummmmmmmmm sounds like a Haven to me.... ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 08:48:04 pm »
hummmmmmmmm sounds like a Haven to me.... ;)

Mendo,
Steve may have been a bit out of line however, that’s no reason to get down right mean! :o ;)

Spahappy,
That blem spa was not one that looks like it might have rolled a time or two was it? Was there a blem trailer with it? ;D

I try to buy blems when they come available as there are quite a few people looking for that kind of deal.

spahappy

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 10:28:18 am »
No Stuart it's not the 11 year old spa we rolled. That spa amazingly tripled in value after it went end over end. :o The spa was totaled but we saved the trailer.

Mr attorney and is wife, who also happens to be an attorney, have enjoyed the last two beautiful nights in their new Coleman 481 spa, compliments of us ;)

Well I took the plunge and bought the blem for the cabin. It's a 7 person so everyones invited to a hottub party next summer at the lake.

Bring your suits and poles, You all know I meant fishing poles right ???  ;) ;D

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 12:11:10 pm »
What model is it?
Homeworks Financing Representative

spahappy

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 02:55:15 pm »
What model is it?

It's a 107 pine w/cinn. The 100 series is the only one I haven't owned yet. I like that it's a roomy, barrier free party spa. We entertain all summer at the lake and I think this spa will fit our needs perfectly.

The spa will be one level down from the main deck. You'll be able to see the Bay below us, as well the big water, and the Missouri river channel where Lewis and Clark sailed 200 years ago.

I'm so excited, I don't know how I'll endure the next few months. I'll post install pictures when the weather permits this project to start.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 06:32:30 pm »
Congratulations, Spahappy!

Woohoo!  I haven't partied at the lake in...well...since the summer hubby and I got engaged!  (Of course, we only live a few blocks from said lake!)

I'm sure the tub is perfect for the cabin!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

spahappy

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 07:23:46 pm »
Congratulations, Spahappy!

Woohoo!  I haven't partied at the lake in...well...since the summer hubby and I got engaged!  (Of course, we only live a few blocks from said lake!)

I'm sure the tub is perfect for the cabin!

Consider this an open invitation Lori, I'd love to have you and your hubby visit us.

We have some of the best Walleye fishing in the counrty, If you're not into fishing there's horseback riding, boating, skiing, hiking, and now hottubing under  the most magnificent night skys.

There's a little pub called The Rooster Club,they have
Karaoke Friday and Saturaday nights all summer long.

Ive been known to crow there more than once.

Thankfully what happens at the lake stays at the lake ;D :-[

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 08:44:54 pm »

Consider this an open invitation Lori, I'd love to have you and your hubby visit us.

We have some of the best Walleye fishing in the counrty, If you're not into fishing there's horseback riding, boating, skiing, hiking, and now hottubing under  the most magnificent night skys.

There's a little pub called The Rooster Club,they have
Karaoke Friday and Saturaday nights all summer long.

Ive been known to crow there more than once.

Thankfully what happens at the lake stays at the lake ;D :-[

Lori,
If you don't take her up on it I will!!! ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 08:44:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42