What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance "quality"??  (Read 9120 times)

taz

Sundance "quality"??
« on: February 13, 2005, 12:49:43 pm »
I'd be interested in any feedback from fellow Sundance owners or dealers.

I thought I bought a top-of-the-line spa when I went with Sundance. Turns out that in a little over a year I've had a variety of problems with my choice. Some were caused by an incompetent dealer, but most are simply poor quality on the part of Sundance.

Here are some of the problems I've endured in my first year with my Sundance Marin:  1) The dreaded "----" error message shutting down the spa. Turns out the jumper in the control cabinet can vibrate loose at any time. An easy fix, but a very annoying problem.  2) Defective temp sensors.  A known manufacturing defect that cost me a $20 trip charge to correct. 3) The drain hose in my spa is unusable. It is kinked at a 180 deg angle up against the high speed pump. The hose cannot be moved so I'm out another $90 for a submersible pump.  

Now my Sundance CD ozonator isn't working.  The icon on the control panel wasn't coming on, so I checked the hoses and found that there is a build-up of white material at the hose connection. I also found out that the hose nozzle at the ozonator has corroded.  It pretty much crumbled when I remove the hose to clear this white material.  So I pull out my paperwork and see that the ozonator had a 1-year warranty and it has now been 1 year and 1 month!

I ended up rigging the hose to the ozonator by heating the end of the hose and fitting it over the threads on the nozzle.  I cleared the hose of the white debris and reconnected it, but it still isn't working. The little bubbles are back, but the icon on the control panel still isn't coming on.  Any ideas?

Oh, and don't tell me to contact my dealer. He went out of business about 6 months ago, shortly after Sundance dropped him. Meanwhile I'm left with no local Sundance dealer and no support. And, Sundance customer service has been little help.  I already experienced their lack of support on that little defective temp sensor issue.

I am extremely disappointed with Sundance. The whole dealer thing was a fiasco -- I would have thought that they would do a better job of screening new dealers. Nonetheless, the constant quality problems have left me very disappointed with my choice of tubs. Is anyone else having these quality problems with Sundance?

BTW, If anyone knows the name and address of the president of Sundance, let me know. I'd like to share my Sundance buying experience with him.

If this is a top-of-the-line spa company, I'd hate to see... you know. Sorry for the rant, I'm just extremely disappointed with the level of quality and support I've received from Sundance.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance "quality"??
« on: February 13, 2005, 12:49:43 pm »

Max78

Re: Sundance "quality"??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 01:01:42 pm »
Hi Taz,
  I am experiencing some Sundance dealer and product problems myself (read "Sundance Warranty Processing Fee??" for the whole story).  When I called about my tub (an Optima) they said it could be the temperature sensor but couldn't be sure til they looked at it. Interesting that it is a known manufacturing defect.  And it is going to cost me a lot more than $20.00 for them to come out (5 month old tub).  What did your tub do when your temperature sensor went out?

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 01:24:36 pm »
taz,

Post what state you are in. There ARE competant

service centers everywhere. Some are certified to work

as a warrantee center for Sundance. Maybe one of

them could be of assistance to you and your Sundance

problems.

I do wish you luck with your problem, Sundance IS

known for their high quality, high ethics in selecting

dealers to handle and service their products, I guess

just when you think you've heard it all, something like

this comes up.

Keep us posted, maybe we all can help.

Hottubber ;D

taz

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 01:40:13 pm »
Hi Max

My temp sensor went bad way back in April, but if I remember correctly it showed up as the dreaded "----" error. But when I tried the jumper fix, the heater & pumps would turn on briefly (the water temp was really cold, so the emergency heat circuitry would kick in), then the "OH" error would pop up and then the whole thing would shut back down into "----" mode.  

My now defunct dealer and the local service tech that Sundance referred me to both said that Sundance had gotten a shipment of faulty temp sensors from their supplier (I don't know the mfg timeframe, but mine was built in late '03).  Sundance not only new about the defect, but sent both my dealer and the local service tech a bunch of replacement sensors so that they didn't have to wait on parts when they got the service calls...

I complained to Sundance that I shouldn't be responsible for the trip charge since #1) they dropped my dealer, and #2) it was a known defect.  They didn't budge. At least it was only $20, I feel bad for you and all the other Sundance owners around here that had to shell out $200 plus for trip charges.

I'm also not surprised that Sundance may have implemented a "processing fee".  They almost come across as annoyed that you'd even bother them about a warranty issue.  In my industry you could not get away with that kind of customer service.

Good luck.

taz

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 01:56:03 pm »
Hot tubber,

Thanks for the response. I live in Western NC, the Asheville area. Per the Sundance web site, the closest dealer is now in Greenville, SC.  

Actually, I can't complain about the service tech that eventually handled my temp sensor replacement. I can even understand why he would charge a trip charge. I just felt that Sundance should be responsible for any such charges.

As for the ozonator, it is no longer under warranty...

My issue with Sundance is that their local, now defuct dealer was incompetent (long story, but I'd be glad to elaborate if you're interested), I've had a number of quality problems with my tub (see original post), their post order service level has - IMO - been less than satisfactory, and I thought I was paying for a high end tub.

boxer95

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 02:08:48 pm »
Hey Taz, I am also in WNC..... and Sundance was my first tub of choice. the only reason I didn't go with them is because the closest dealer as you say, is in SC. did you call them? even though they are far, they might come out to service your spa. I would DEFIANTLY write to sundacne and tell them of your situation. I think you might be surprised that they will be supportive of you.. they are a big company and supposably stand behind there product.

I have 3 friends who own sundance spa's and they love them, and have awesome support so I think you just got un lucky given your local dealer went out of business....

good luck to you, how awful!!! its one thing to have a poorly running hot tub, but to have no support is the ultimate worst...

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
There is a dealer in Charlotte and thier service tech work out of Greensboro, have you called them?  Not sure how far away that is but...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 03:00:59 pm by ttodd1 »

taz

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 03:12:29 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I wasn't clear, but right now I don't need a service tech - Sundance provided the name of a local authorized service agent if I do need one. Unfortunately, my ozonator is 1 month out of warranty, and I could just take it out and take it somewhere if I decide to have it serviced.

I am more interested in whether fellow owners and/or dealers have experienced as many problems with their Sundance spas as I have. I have found the overall quality to be lacking. The problems with my dealer just served to exacerbate an already poor experience with Sundance.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 06:51:45 pm »
Since you asked, we have had absolutely no problems with our 2003 Optima.  Were nearing our full second year of ownership.

If you are interested in contacting the president of the company, I'm sure there is a contact link on Sundance's website.  Not necessarily to the pres. but at least a starting point.  There is also a customer service contact phone number, if that is more to your liking.

It would be interesting to hear how they react to your issues.  

Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 12:03:14 pm »
I have had one service call in two and a half years....a relay stuck open.  A new control board and everything has been fine.  One of the most important part of my purchase decision process was choosing the right dealer, especially their service reputation.  It can mean all the difference in the world.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 12:41:26 pm »
One of the most important part of my purchase decision process was choosing the right dealer, especially their service reputation.  It can mean all the difference in the world.

AMEN!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 03:37:03 pm »
One of the most important part of my purchase decision process was choosing the right dealer, especially their service reputation.  It can mean all the difference in the world.

I agree, we have had no problems with our tub since taking possession last summer. Oh yeah! we did have one call to our dealer to adjust the cover since it was'nt sitting right (a little crooked) after about one month's usage. Turn out it was my son who had decided to adjust it thinking it was better. We'll he was explained the error of his ways by the service tech who took about 30 minutes guiding him in adjusting the cover back to its original position.

I LOVE MY DEALER :D  and I wish I could replicate him to make him available tot he others who have had problems.  

rick

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 05:36:57 pm »
what's up with only a 1 year warranty on an ozonator?

That's sounds awful short for such a reputable spa.

It also looks like Sundance knows about how long theirs last.  

Chris_H

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 05:41:02 pm »
Just so you know, Rick,

Caldera, Hotspring, Jacuzzi Premium all have one year warranties on thier ozonators.  I guess they know how long it is going to last too.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 05:44:33 pm »
Just so you know, Rick,

Caldera, Hotspring, Jacuzzi Premium all have one year warranties on thier ozonators.  I guess they know how long it is going to last too.

Do Caldera and Hotsprings have 24hour circ. pumps?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 05:44:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42