What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scum  (Read 7329 times)

matthewc

Scum
« on: February 04, 2005, 06:21:09 pm »
I need some advice. When doing my weekly shock and water clarifier routine I always get a massive amount of creamy scum forming in bubbles that end up stuck to the side of the tub. I have tried two approaches, the first is to run the jets on full power when adding the clarifier, this makes the bubbles form quickly enabling me to scoope them out with a net. The second method is to not run the jets at all until the clarifier has had time to settle, however this results in less bubbles and scum but, for a much longer time. I know that the water clarifier is meant to clot all of the fine stuff so that the filter can remove it, but is there any way that I can make the job easier? What do you guys do? Do you have the same problem or is it just the chemical I am, using? For information I us Spa Sparkle for SunSpot.

Hot Tub Forum

Scum
« on: February 04, 2005, 06:21:09 pm »

steve771

Re: Scum
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 12:59:27 am »
Are the people entering the tub using a lot of moisturizers, body oils, hairspray and the like?  That could be contaminating the water and like you have noted, the clarifyer is clotting that.  I don't get much of it, but when I do, I use a soft sponge around the water line.

matthewc

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 11:44:28 am »
It's only me and the wife that really use the tub, and so I don't think we should cause so much of a problem.

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 01:48:32 pm »
Rats, I saw the "Scum" title and thought it was gonna be a good bashing of someone.   :o
Measure once, cut twice.

matthewc

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 02:57:52 pm »
Their is no one on this site that I would want to bash, that is as long as someone starts given me some advice. Otherwise the gloves will come off! ;)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 09:04:45 am »
You may want to stop adding clarifier on a weekly basis and maybe try an enzyme water treatment such as LeisureTime Enzyme (old name Scum Gon).  Too much clarifier will cause problems.  The enzyme treatment will work on oils and soaps, etc.  Use the clarifier only when needed such as when you can't get your water crystal clear.  I still have half of my original clarifier bottle left and that is over two and a half years.

Q

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 11:57:43 am »
Give Spa Perfect a shot. Works well for us.

matthewc

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 02:04:27 pm »
You may want to stop adding clarifier on a weekly basis and maybe try an enzyme water treatment such as LeisureTime Enzyme (old name Scum Gon).  Too much clarifier will cause problems.  The enzyme treatment will work on oils and soaps, etc.  Use the clarifier only when needed such as when you can't get your water crystal clear.  I still have half of my original clarifier bottle left and that is over two and a half years.

I must admit that I don't use the clarifier because my water is not clear, more that I want it to stay clear. Also that is what it says to do on the bottle. In the UK we are pretty limited with the different chemicals, but I will see if I can find some LeisureTime Enzyme.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 03:13:20 pm »

I must admit that I don't use the clarifier because my water is not clear, more that I want it to stay clear. Also that is what it says to do on the bottle. In the UK we are pretty limited with the different chemicals, but I will see if I can find some LeisureTime Enzyme.

Enzymes come in many names. I would be surprised if you cant find SpaPerfect. If there is a SpaGuard dealer get Refresh. If there is a Beachcomber dealer, get some Purezyme.

Homeworks Financing Representative

matthewc

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 03:22:45 pm »
Enzymes come in many names. I would be surprised if you cant find SpaPerfect. If there is a SpaGuard dealer get Refresh. If there is a Beachcomber dealer, get some Purezyme.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a clarifier and an enzyme?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 03:29:40 pm »
Clarifiers allow small particles to "clump" or clot so that the filter can grab them.

Enzymes are organics that break down oils and scum. Enzymes are found inside our bodies. A few years back many laundry detergents began to add enzymes to their formulas.

Enzymes are not as effective if you add them to spa water when sanitizer levels are higher than 3PPM. Never add enzymes to spa water if sanitizer readings are higher than 5PPM. The bottles will tell you this.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

matthewc

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 05:09:05 pm »
Clarifiers allow small particles to "clump" or clot so that the filter can grab them.

Enzymes are organics that break down oils and scum. Enzymes are found inside our bodies. A few years back many laundry detergents began to add enzymes to their formulas.

Enzymes are not as effective if you add them to spa water when sanitizer levels are higher than 3PPM. Never add enzymes to spa water if sanitizer readings are higher than 5PPM. The bottles will tell you this.

HTM

Thanks

Bigbender

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 01:07:46 pm »
I have the same problems with skum (grease) in my water and it always presents itself the day after company comes over. My wife and I can use the tub all week long and we don't have much trouble at all. I'm still trying to get a water maintenance schedule figured out but dealing with this stuff always screws me up because I interupt my schedule to shock as soon as I see this crap. As far as enzymes helping, I can only tell you that I use "The Natural" which is a 3 month long enzyme treatment and if it helps eliminate this skum in any way, I wouldn't know.

I'd love to tell our friends that their body oils are screwing my water up, but I don't believe they'd ever visit again :-/ Since I want to keep my friends, I guess my only solution is to shock every time they come over.  Shocking with dichlor seems to work the best  for cleaning up the mess because I've noticed that an MPS shock makes the foam worse. I toss in two or three tbsp of granulated dichlor, turn the pumps on high (with air flow to a minimum) and wipe down the tub walls with a soft throw-away rag.

I always keep in mind what the installer told me about foam. He said that the best method for dealing with foam is to physically get it out of the tub because if you add de-foamers, they force the junk back into the water. After the de-foamer quits working, it comes right back to haunt you again.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 01:16:09 pm »
When you first buy a tub and start enjoying it, you do a thorough deep-cleansing of your pores. The stuff that comes out is oil, dirt, soap and shampoo. Oh, I'm sure there are other things that come out, but those are the main things.

I have been telling our customers for years to drain the tub after the first 30 days of ownership. This is now referred to as "Chas' law."

But keep in mind: when you have friends over - they don't own a spa, so they have not been through the cleansing cycle. Even a good shower will not get the gunk out of pores the way a hot tub will.

So keep inviting friends, but understand that you will have a little price to pay: you will most likely get either a scum line, foam, or both.

I always do a 2 oz Dichlor bomb after guest leave. I used to do it while they were towelling off next to the tub, saying things like, "Wow, you guys are greasier than my brother-in-law!!"

Or, "Man, don't you guys ever shower?!"

But the lovely and gracious Mrs. Chas has gently put a stop to such exclaimations...

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 12:07:43 pm »

But the lovely and gracious Mrs. Chas has gently put a stop to such exclaimations...

;)

Amazing, how they can do that, isn't it?
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 12:07:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42