What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis vs. D-1  (Read 8331 times)

Orthofunk

Marquis vs. D-1
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:11:21 pm »
I will be purchasing a hot tub in the next 3 months, and I am having a hard time deciding between the Marquis Reward and the D-1 Chairman II.

Some of the issues that I have:
I can get the Marquis for about $1000 less (because I bought and inground pool from the same company)
I like the neck jet pillows on the D-1 vs. no pillows on the Marquis, but am concerned about pillow rot? D-1 sales rep claims they are made of same rubber Nike shoe soles are made of and won't rot.  Is this true?  What is the cost to replace a neckjet pillow?
The warranties on both spas seem to be comparable.
The D-1 sales rep gave me a good pitch on how their ozonator is better because it circulates around the tub before it bubbles off, resulting in very little ozone release from the water's surface... hence ozone doesn't build up under the cover, causing problems.
D-1 claims their chemical system is better because it doesn't use bromide... therefore less harsh on the skin.  True?
Does anyone know about the integration capabilities of the 2 spas? I have a Crestron home automation system that I would like to be able to incorporate the spa into... dealers don't have any info on this.

Overall, I would have to say I am leaning toward the Chairman II due to looks, sequencer, more jets on the lounger, tactile bumps for hands and feet, and a better sales rep... but is that all worth an extra $1000?

Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis vs. D-1
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:11:21 pm »

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
Re: Marquis vs. D-1
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:02:30 pm »
funky,

D-1, I understand is a nice spa. I am not to sure how the adjustable pillow system or neck flex holds up for the long term. They do have a gas off chamber, so the pillow rot, if you will, will not occur as often as most spas.
Marquis on the other hand, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. This manufacturer has molded in, acrylic pillows, due to the fact that pillows do wear out or get moldy.  The Frog system is pretty cool also, a chemical system built in to the spa. The waterfall for the 05 spas is also nice. Check both of them out thoroughly, they are both good spas. But,...$1000.00 is $1000.00. ;D

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:09:36 pm »
I would just share this about the pillows....read the warranty and see if they are covered at all or maybe only for a year...if they are than D-1 is not backing up the claims of your sales person.....Both how ever are excellent spas and certainly among the very best....

Orthofunk

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:17:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I found this in the D-1 warranty:

EXCEPTIONS TO WARRANTY
The following items are specifically excluded from any warranty coverage:
11. Hot tub pillows, hot tub light bulb, hot tub filter element, and hot tub hose bib.
14. All hot tub accessories including, but not limited to, NeckFlexTM Jet Pillow, ClearZoneŽ Water Management System, Vision Sanitizing System, E-Z
LifterŽ and add-on jet accessories.

Nike rubber sole must be a sales pitch after all.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 10:22:42 pm »
Yes it is.....both offer contact chambers for thier ozone....both make a great spa...but I think much of your salesmen pitch...was just him selling and not telling the whole story....

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 10:25:38 pm »
I will say this....D-1.....Marquis.....Hot Springs......Sundance.....etc all make a great spa...and all are well backed...but item for item.....Marquis warranty is very tough to equall.....

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 12:26:40 am »
The actual neck flex adjustable pillow will last the life of the spa, however you will have to replace the 1" corrugated hose behind it every 2 yrs or so.  It tends to get brittle over time due to water, evaporation, condensation, calcium deposits, etc....

They are both excelent spas, made by two of the best in the industry.

Ok, now my bias will come out.  The Chairman II is an awesome spa.  Well built, constructed the same way as a house is using trussplates and 2 x 4's.  Most manufacturers use 2 x 2's and wood staples in their frames.  Excelent jet pressure as the pumps move around 180 gallons of water a minute.  All of the jets are interchangeable and fully adjustable at the jet face to allow you to taylor the spa to your hydrotherapy needs and likes.  Not to mention it has one of the best warranties in the industry.  Personally I'm not a big fan of bromine, but the spa frog-bromine system is nice.  D-1's ultra-pure water mgmt system will allow you to use very minimal ammounts of chlorine to keep your spa sanitized.  With the optional vision sanitizing cartridge you can almost go chlorine free depending on how frequent you use the spa, and how many bathers are typically in it.

Like i said, both are excelent spas, you won't go wrong with either.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & caldera Dealer

hottubber

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 08:41:06 am »
Is the neck flex jet warranteed for life? I like the idea of an adjustable pillow, can't the bracket that holds the pillow wear out in time by continually moving it up and down? Is it waranteed like the rest of the components? If so, then it is a nice feature, even if its not, I like the idea.... ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 08:41:50 am by hottubber »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 12:10:11 pm »
Is the neck flex jet warranteed for life? I like the idea of an adjustable pillow, can't the bracket that holds the pillow wear out in time by continually moving it up and down? Is it waranteed like the rest of the components? If so, then it is a nice feature, even if its not, I like the idea.... ???

No it's not "warranted for life" nor is any other jet or pillow in the industry...Yes it is warranted with the rest of the componants.

I've sold d1 on and off for 15 years, I've Never replaced a Neck flex assembly or the bracketing that attaches it. Even if you had to its about 4 screws and 5 minuets. I have replaced a few hoses, very quick and easy and even the consumer can handle it.

PoolBoy,
I don't know what you guys are doing but I think your getting an exceptional short life span on those flex hoses. The only way that I can see them getting brittle that fast is chemical issues! I believe they did change the type hose they were use last year...I can't imagine D1 not making changes to anything that could potentially cost them a great deal of money in warranty claims in the first 2 years.

poolboy34

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 12:44:20 pm »
It's not what we're doing, it's what some of our customers don't do: Take care of their spa.  Honestly, I underestimated the life span of the hoses too.  Most customers have to replace them about every 5 years or so.  It's definilty more common on the older spas.  Another factor might be the hard water in our area.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 12:58:43 pm »
I would compare Marquis and D1 to Cars in the 1990's,
Marquis would be considered a Mercedes, Volvo or SAAB while the D1 would be considered a Lincoln or Caddy. One is made with more wow and curb appeal while the other is more contemporary and more European style.

hottubber

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 01:46:29 pm »
stuart,

Thats a nice feature, the neck flex. Why are your customers having to replace the hose for the system within a couple of years? Is it just lack of water chemistry? If so, I can see that, there are alot of customers that don't take proper care of their water, I don't know why, it is not that hard. :-/

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 02:01:38 pm »
stuart,

Thats a nice feature, the neck flex. Why are your customers having to replace the hose for the system within a couple of years? Is it just lack of water chemistry? If so, I can see that, there are alot of customers that don't take proper care of their water, I don't know why, it is not that hard. :-/

That was Poolboys customers! We rarely ever replace a NeckFlex hose...

Both D1 and Marquis are very proactive in changing the way they manufacture if they see a repeating problem. I have had better luck consistently with these two brands than any others I have sold over many years...

poolboy34

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 04:24:59 pm »
That was Poolboys customers! We rarely ever replace a NeckFlex hose...

Both D1 and Marquis are very proactive in changing the way they manufacture if they see a repeating problem. I have had better luck consistently with these two brands than any others I have sold over many years...

Hey now!  We sell maybe 5 of those hoses in the course of a year.  The main cause of the problem is customers not properly maintaining the chemistry of their spas water.  No matter how much we stress this to customers, some just plain choose not to listen.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 04:28:41 pm »

Hey now!  We sell maybe 5 of those hoses in the course of a year.  The main cause of the problem is customers not properly maintaining the chemistry of their spas water.  No matter how much we stress this to customers, some just plain choose not to listen.

Yeah, what ever fool said the customer is always right should be shot....LOL

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 04:28:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42