What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Polar spas  (Read 6955 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Polar spas
« on: August 10, 2004, 06:16:28 pm »
OK, you guys where such great help with the Phoenix info I thought I would get your input on another brand that a friend in Canada is looking at.

I pulled up the website for Polar and they kind of look like a "re-branded Arctic" does anyone know anything about these spas? Are they made by Arctic or do they compete with them? It really did not look like a manufactures site. Do they also have a brand of Pool Tables?

Hot Tub Forum

Polar spas
« on: August 10, 2004, 06:16:28 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Polar spas
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 06:58:34 pm »
Polar has recently come into the market relying heavily on their cashable rebate program which IMO, is a less than reputabe way of promoting any product. I'm not sure if they're offering it where your friend is or not? Tell him to run very fast in the opposite direction.

What I do know is that the local dealer here suggests about a 4 month wait for any Polar spa. I can't figure how any company can survive offering that. The local dealer here has recently brought in another line which they are promoting far more now.

They are not linked to Arctic in any way other than Polar bears come from the Arctic! ;D

An OK entry level spa at best. Nothing I would spend more than $4000 on.

Tell your buddy totay far away from the cashable rebate program. Nobody gets $8000 back on a $10,000 spa after 3 years. It just don't happen.

Steve

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 08:59:54 pm »
Thanks Steve,
I'm not sure why he's asking, he's a dealer and I think is looking for another line.

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 10:04:13 pm »
Polar was the first company we talked to when we decided to buy a spa. My personal impression was one of caution. They have been holding a grand opening sale for months now. Twice I have been into their showroom, and twice I have been told that their “sale ends today” and I “must place an order to get the sale price” I don’t like the way these guys list their prices for example:

List Price $20,000
Sale Price $12,000
Rebate $8,000

TOTAL COST $4,000

When I looked up this company with the Better Business Bureau, I found reference to the questionable rebate program and a list of other names the company trades under.

On the two occasions I visited the store, the sales staff were unable to answer ANY of my questions about the product. Instead they persistently told me that their rebate system made them the “best value in town”.   As for their spas, who knows? Hopefully, they are better than their sales tactics.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 10:04:58 pm by TALKCalgary.com »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 10:19:23 pm »
These are companies looking to make a "quick buck" and get out of town (with your warranty may I add). They train their staff on how to sell the "cashable rebate" hoping the tub itself will be just a formality to the customer.

I'm all for building value but come on... do real people really buy from these guys? ???

Steve

spaguyohio

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 01:18:39 pm »
Ive seen a lot of dealers over the years do that cashable rebate. Ive only heard of one person getting their money back. One out of thousands ???? No thanks, I bet my odds are better on the lotto ....

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 02:50:30 am »
I have been told that their “sale ends today” and I “must place an order to get the sale price” I don’t like the way these guys list their prices for example:

List Price $20,000
Sale Price $12,000
Rebate $8,000

TOTAL COST $4,000

When I looked up this company with the Better Business Bureau, I found reference to the questionable rebate program and a list of other names the company trades under.

On the two occasions I visited the store, the sales staff were unable to answer ANY of my questions about the product. Instead they persistently told me that their rebate system made them the “best value in town”.   As for their spas, who knows? Hopefully, they are better than their sales tactics.
I have to wonder is it only the very slow or the very greedy that buy into that kind of a sale promtion.....it has zero creditability and is a horrible reflection upon those who sell under its umbrella....

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 01:07:29 pm »
I am not defending Polar Spas by any means.  However, do not put much trust into any kind of consumer advocacy program (BBB) they (most) are paid for there endorsement, and take money to prevent bad reviews.  Including the BBB.
¿

cflrules

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 01:53:15 pm »
 Polar will not survive....like Steve said they just wan't a quick buck and then they will leave town. In fact, I don't even know if the dealer is still in my city. They were selling spas out of his apartment.... :o

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 03:10:49 pm »
They were still in Calgary on Friday. Still promoting their "grand opening sale" with some guy strutting up and down 32 Ave dressed as polar bear. There latest gimmick (apart from the 75% cash back coupon ) is a "guarantee" that their spars will cost less than $20.00 per month to "heat".  Strange thing is, until Polar started giving us all the cash back hype, (and not knowing anything about spas at the time) we were considering them as a suppler. But then again, we were also considering Call Spas for their bells and whistles.  Boy,  how I am glad I came across this forum:-)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 03:11:34 pm by TALKCalgary.com »

Q

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 10:46:05 am »
With reference to the polar spas being a "rebranded arctic", I may be able to help you out there. It is my understanding that those who started the Arctic line began at Polar Spas...a family business. Based on the ease at which you can get information, those at Arctic have probably done a better marketing job, but in my research, the products are very similar in their technology and design. I own neither, but I am a dealer of Nordic and Softub (and sunlight saunas) and I am considering carrying Polar. With that said, I could have easily picked Arctic if it were not already available here in the local area. I hope this helps.

wetone

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 07:15:53 pm »
Polar has recently come into the market relying heavily on their cashable rebate program which IMO, is a less than reputabe way of promoting any product. I'm not sure if they're offering it where your friend is or not? Tell him to run very fast in the opposite direction.

What I do know is that the local dealer here suggests about a 4 month wait for any Polar spa. I can't figure how any company can survive offering that. The local dealer here has recently brought in another line which they are promoting far more now.

They are not linked to Arctic in any way other than Polar bears come from the Arctic! ;D

An OK entry level spa at best. Nothing I would spend more than $4000 on.

Tell your buddy totay far away from the cashable rebate program. Nobody gets $8000 back on a $10,000 spa after 3 years. It just don't happen.

Steve

Agree with Steve.

They opened a 7,000 sq/ft store here in London mid Jan. and have yet to sell a spa. Here they sell Polar as an entry level and Dynasty as their upper end with the voucher program. They also have pool tables and tanning beds.

JPKeirstead

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 08:11:14 pm »
With reference to the polar spas being a "rebranded arctic", I may be able to help you out there. It is my understanding that those who started the Arctic line began at Polar Spas...a family business.

Just for your information.  The people that started Arctic Spas have nothing to do with Polar Spas.  I know.  My partners and I started Arctic Spas.  The family that started Polar Spas came from Surrey, BC.  They used to own Malibu Spas in the early 90's.  I don't know any details regarding Malibu Spas, except they are no longer in business.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 08:12:12 pm by JPKeirstead »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 04:45:46 pm »

Just for your information.  The people that started Arctic Spas have nothing to do with Polar Spas.  I know.  My partners and I started Arctic Spas.  The family that started Polar Spas came from Surrey, BC.  They used to own Malibu Spas in the early 90's.  I don't know any details regarding Malibu Spas, except they are no longer in business.

Thanks JP, I was wondering about that. Arctic would take full credit if they were out there doing it so I though they were a "copycat"...

JPKeirstead

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 03:57:16 pm »

Thanks JP, I was wondering about that. Arctic would take full credit if they were out there doing it so I though they were a "copycat"...

You know we would.  ;)
James

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 03:57:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42