What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What is a fair Price$$$$$  (Read 4006 times)

BadBack

• In a state of Euphoria!
What is a fair Price$$$$$
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:50:39 am »
I have narrowed my selection down to 3 spa's and was wondering what price is fair for these spa's?  Is it possible to negotiate the price?  How much room is in the price?  I know the prices I have been quoted are high, because I was not ready at that second to buy the tub.  But what is a fair price?  The 3 spa's are the Sundance Optima $8595 , Marquis Euphoria $9500, and the D-1 Chairman II $9000.  All three include cover, lifter, delivery, chemicals, steps.

Hot Tub Forum

What is a fair Price$$$$$
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:50:39 am »

LostandConfused

Re: What is a fair Price$$$$$
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 09:08:10 am »
I paid 8,686 after tax for an Optima 2005 with LED Light/cover mate 3/steps/etc.
Just not the stereo.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:37:26 am »
A fair price is one at which you're willing to buy and the dealer is willing to sell :)

One dealer near where I work gave me a price (high) and told me he could do better when I was ready to buy from him.

My local dealer gave me a firm fixed price the first time I went in and I saved $700 about 20 minutes away.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 07:55:00 pm »
Is it possible to negotiate a price?  

Give it a try.
Brewman
Brewman

nm-tn

• 2004 Optima
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 04:42:29 pm »
Yes you can negotiate. I would make an offer 10-15% discount. All they can say is no. When I was looking some would drop the price by a grand right up front.

I got lucky and my dealer had a '04 Optima that he had had on his floor for about a year set up as a demo. It came with the full warranty and all the bells and whisles. He was asking about 8 grand including taxes and in the end he came down another grand to move it. I believe if this tub had not been on his floor that long it would have been about $500 more. I live in Tennessee and our tax rate is 9.75% so he sold it for around $6300. Maybe this will give you some idea, good luck.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 04:57:12 pm »
Yes you can negotiate. I would make an offer 10-15% discount. All they can say is no. When I was looking some would drop the price by a grand right up front.

I got lucky and my dealer had a '04 Optima that he had had on his floor for about a year set up as a demo. It came with the full warranty and all the bells and whisles. He was asking about 8 grand including taxes and in the end he came down another grand to move it. I believe if this tub had not been on his floor that long it would have been about $500 more. I live in Tennessee and our tax rate is 9.75% so he sold it for around $6300. Maybe this will give you some idea, good luck.

This is a great question and points to what sometimes is hotly debated here...Do you want to do business with a dealer that plainly and legitimately has the spas priced for what many would consider to be a fair price or do you want to walk in and see MSRP on them and work  from there...If you like the idea of dealing with someone who has already discounted the spa to what many are paying than it is unreasonable to look for another 10 to 15 %...If it is priced at full MS RP than that is not unreasonable to look for that kind of a deal....

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 06:06:15 pm »
This is a great question and points to what sometimes is hotly debated here...Do you want to do business with a dealer that plainly and legitimately has the spas priced for what many would consider to be a fair price or do you want to walk in and see MSRP on them and work  from there...If you like the idea of dealing with someone who has already discounted the spa to what many are paying than it is unreasonable to look for another 10 to 15 %...If it is priced at full MS RP than that is not unreasonable to look for that kind of a deal....

true true... but first one must know the difference between a DSRP and a fair price. For example $9500 is more of a DSRP for the Euphoria while $8595 for the Optima is more of a fair price
e

smartymose

• Finally got our Grandee!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 06:34:42 pm »
My family and I just wet tested the 2004 Optima, and we thought it was great. The dealer has quoted us $8895. They also offer the 2005 Optima for $9395. Both include delivery, steps, coverlifter, and care kit with filter cleaner. They offer a lowest price guarantee (must be a printed advertisment).

These prices seem way more than what is being discussed here. Keep the comments coming, so I can have a solid idea of what I "should" pay.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 06:36:14 pm »
I will say this Marquis does have real MSRP pricing....While it does seem that some dealers pull the Msrp off the top of their head..when quoting MSRP we use Marquis true list....example Euphoria MSRP for 05 is $ 11,055.00.....When I speak of fair pricing using this board and others you can get a an idea of what the spa you are looking at seems to be selling for....I think it is often difficult to compare prices as (this comes from 25 years of retail experience) many times customers forget everything their deal included and it distorts what they actually got and paid for....but for the most part allowing for the fluctuations in different parts of the country if you are within $500.00 of what most seem to be paying than you are probably being treated fairly....(hey you might be on the low side of that as well)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 07:09:09 pm »
Euphoria MSRP for 05 is $ 11,055.00

The 05 is out? where can i see it?

By the way, it is my opinion that such an exagerated MSRP is an injustice for both the dealer and the customer.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 07:10:15 pm by empolgation »
e

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 08:06:16 pm »
My family and I just wet tested the 2004 Optima, and we thought it was great. The dealer has quoted us $8895. They also offer the 2005 Optima for $9395. Both include delivery, steps, coverlifter, and care kit with filter cleaner. They offer a lowest price guarantee (must be a printed advertisment).

These prices seem way more than what is being discussed here. Keep the comments coming, so I can have a solid idea of what I "should" pay.

Personally I think the prices you've been quoted are too high.  We paid in the 7700 area for our 04 Optima with steps, ozone, LED light, cover lifter...

I also think that anyone at this point looking at an Optima should hold out and consider the 05's.  The 05 model has a waterfall and what appears to be better jet layout and controls.  Sundance doesn't have them on their website yet but they do have the 05 users manual that you can download.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 08:32:34 pm »
$8,500 is TOO High for the Optima. Dealers can sell them in the $7K's and still make a couple grand easily.  We have seen people buying last year model clearance Optimas (New but prior year) for as low as $6,700.  Bottom line is that YOUR MARKET sets the price.  If your looking to feel good about your puchase, get the dealer under $8K (With cover and Ozonator). The local dealer here said they could only to $8,200 on their cameo (the lounger version of the Optima) but then "found" a way to get to $7,200 AFTER I had already bought my Jacuzzi. Bought  a brand new J370 in 2002 for $6,500 INCLUDING stereo. This is essentially the same size as the Cameo but with different jets. Jacuzzi makes both the SunDance line as well as their own "Premium" line.  SunDance is actually a little nicer (but not $2,000 nicer)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

nm-tn

• 2004 Optima
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 05:33:45 pm »

I think your dealer wants too much for the spa. I would not pay that much for an '04 Optima, it would have to be the '05 model and that's still to high. I can see the '05 going for more because they just came out. I was lucky in what I got mine for but I think a "fair" price for the '04 Optima should fall around 7-7.5 grand. It's just my option but I think the MSRP has about a 50% mark up over the actual cost and most dealers price it with a 30% mark up. If they really want to sell it they should deal with you or I would walk.

nm-tn

• 2004 Optima
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 06:04:31 pm »
Just want to say one more thing. As a spa shopper looks for a nice spa and gets prices all over the place on the same features on different models, it makes the shopper conserned that they are going to be taken. The problem with this industry is it's just like buying a car. One can find the same make and model being sold for big price ranges. And dealers wonder why shoppers are conserned about getting a "fair" price. You can read on a number of threads here about dealers offering a special price trying to get the shopper to close the deal and when the shopper doean't bite then later the dealer offers another lower price. I could see maybe $500 difference between dealers across the country but not thousands. I think until dealers start pricing the "fair" price right up front (and some dealers do) that the shopper is going to be conserned.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 06:42:54 pm »
Just want to say one more thing. As a spa shopper looks for a nice spa and gets prices all over the place on the same features on different models, it makes the shopper conserned that they are going to be taken. The problem with this industry is it's just like buying a car. One can find the same make and model being sold for big price ranges. And dealers wonder why shoppers are conserned about getting a "fair" price. You can read on a number of threads here about dealers offering a special price trying to get the shopper to close the deal and when the shopper doean't bite then later the dealer offers another lower price. I could see maybe $500 difference between dealers across the country but not thousands. I think until dealers start pricing the "fair" price right up front (and some dealers do) that the shopper is going to be conserned.

I understand your concern about getting a fair price.  Each market is different.  Freight costs, dealer commitment to service (qualified, factory trained service techs), overhead, etc.  In my market, I have a few competitors that have just built new buildings and their prices have reflected that added overhead.  I have chosen to do what Saturn did.  Price the spas fairly and be sure that I can pay my bills and feed my family. I don't want the used car sales mentality in my business.
There are those customers that don't believe that I will not negotiate.  They want to play the game and sometimes will buy elsewhere. Manytimes I see them after they need service on the spa they purchased and are disappointed because of a lack of a timely response to their needs.  You can't put a price on excellent service after the sale.  There is much to weigh when discussing this topic.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 06:42:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42