What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drewski Needs HELP with his Tub...  (Read 7844 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Drewski Needs HELP with his Tub...
« on: December 20, 2004, 10:38:35 am »
Hi All:

Well, predictably, 2 months after the 5 year warranty ran out on my Artesian Piper Glen, I have a problem.

I noticed a few weeks ago that during colder weather, the tub couldn't "recover" temperature like it used to. Previously, regardless of weather conditions, water temperature would ALWAYS remain where I set it, between 103 and 104 degrees. About a week ago, it dropped to 99 when I had a bunch of friends over (brrrrr...) and last night (25 degrees with 30 mph wind) it started to drop again.

I checked the circulation pump output (heater circuit), which "felt" normal, but then I noticed something. Usually the water output is REALLY hot from this port, but, strangely, it would be hot for about 20 seconds, then "normal" temperature, then hot again, with no real pattern (believe me when I say you can tell the difference). During this time the control panel always showed the heater "ON," although I noticed the heater icon blinked a few times. My controls are 1999 Gecko (in the white box, I'm thinking comparable to the current TSPA-1, I didn't pull the panel to look this morning) with a Gecko tub panel.

UNFORTUNATELY, the local Artesian dealer is no more and the closest is about 80+ miles. There's a big Hot Springs dealer in town and I'm about to call them because I have a BIG Christmas Eve hot tub party scheduled and I NEED it fixed!

I posted this because I don't want someone to show up and say "oh, you need a new board!" when it's something simple like a temperature probe... I like to be educated about what's being fixed.

Thoughts and suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks...

Andy

???
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

Drewski Needs HELP with his Tub...
« on: December 20, 2004, 10:38:35 am »

Drewski

Re: Drewski Needs HELP with his Tub...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 10:59:54 am »
WELL, Update #1

So much for the local Hot Springs dealer "Great Atlantic Spas and Decks (757-499-0123)" in Virginia Beach.

When I called, the service department told me that Artesian was an "off brand" and that they couldn't get parts, even if they knew what was wrong with it. ALL service "was COD," I would need to get my own parts and the service schedule "was backed up more than 4 1/2 weeks" so I "was looking at February" before they could come out. The guy that answered the phone SURE sounded snotty about it too.

I just KNEW there was a reason I didn't buy from those guys...

Drewski

:-/

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 11:37:47 am »
Do you have in your area an Independent service tech...Don't bother going to a retailer of another tub...If you do not ask some of the local pool builder's if they know of a tech in the area.....

Chris_H

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 11:44:34 am »
Drewski,

I take offense that you believe this is a Hotspring dealer problem.  You have an Artesian spa.  You shouldn’t be blaming Hotspring for a problem with your Artesian spa.  

Many dealers don’t do service for spas they don’t sell.  I would be snotty too if you called me looking for service from a spa I never sold.  Most manufacturer use exclusive parts and it is extremely difficult for non-dealers to get those parts.  They also have exclusive training for servicing those brands and obviously your Hotspring dealer hasn’t been trained to service Artesian spas.

Gecko is a non-exclusive brand (easier getting parts) but if your local Hotspring dealer serviced your spa your shell warranty would be void due to the fact that they are not an authorized service center.  Is that what you want?

If you called my business looking for service, I would kindly tell you to go back where you bought it or call the manufacturer.  That is why Artesian has dealer and service networks.  Your Hotspring dealer has every right to decline service to your Artesian Spa and it is not their fault that they are 4 weeks out on service.  

Chris

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 11:44:38 am »
Drewski,
What a bummer...... :'(......see if you can get salesdvl's attention.....he's an Artesian dealer, if I'm correct.  Maybe he can help in some way even though he's Chicago bound.....good luck......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 12:01:57 pm »
I take offense that you believe this is a Hotspring dealer problem.  You have an Artesian spa.  You shouldn’t be blaming Hotspring for a problem with your Artesian spa.

Chris,
Chill, Dude......I didn't read anything in Drew's post where he blamed the HS dealer for his spa problems......he was merely recounting his conversation which sounded to me as if it were peppered with attitude.  
I would be snotty too if you called me looking for service from a spa I never sold.

And I think your business philosophy is seriously flawed if having an attitude towards any existing or future customer is standard modus operandi.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 12:06:14 pm »
Actually I thought Chris had a good point.

I wish I could help Drewski. Where is Salesdvl when you need him!?!?!?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:08:52 pm »
Drewski,
Do you have a meter with an amp clamp on it? You can get one at Home Depot pretty cheap or if you can borrow on I will walk you through some troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 12:14:09 pm by stuart »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 12:11:30 pm »
Some models in that vintage had a heat recovery coil around the circ pump that had a tendency to fail right around this time.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 12:15:44 pm »
Sorry for the multiple posts but another thing that would be helpful is if you open the equipment compartment and take a couple of digital pictures so that I can see the componants and location of them.....

I also PM'ed you

Chris_H

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 12:24:53 pm »
WSD,

Drewski said “I just KNEW there was a reason I didn’t buy from those guys…”  That tells me that he is blaming the Hotspring dealer for not servicing the spa, and I am saying it is not their responsibility.  It is Artesian’s.

For whatever reason, I wouldn’t consider him an existing or future customer.  I probably would have serviced the spa if I recognized the name because he purchases chemical or accessories from me, but do to the reasons stated before I think it is extremely reasonable to say no to servicing certain spas.

Remember your local dealer is going to take of his customers before he takes on any additional work.  If I was a Hotspring customer and he took care of an Artesian spa before he took care of my Hotspring, I would be pissed.  

As a dealer, I would have no problem saying no to service because it is usually unprofitable, but if you make enough on the purchase of the spa.  It is a wash.  Obviously, this dealer didn’t make any money on the purchase.

Chris

Drewski

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 12:44:02 pm »
Drewski,

*** Original Post Deleted by Drewski ***

Chris H, please accept my apology concerning my post if it came across wrong. I wasn't "blaming" HotSprings, just relating what happened.

Stuart speaks very highly of you.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks...

Drewski

:-[
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 01:12:17 pm by Drewski »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 12:45:18 pm »
I would vote that we worry less about who's blaming who and who is responsible for what until we get through the issue of what is wrong with the spa.....

Drewski

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 12:48:32 pm »
Stuart, WSD and Mendocino101:

THANKS for the help! Stuart, I'll get back to you shortly...

Drewski

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 12:52:13 pm »
I just thought of something silly here but I have to ask...
have you pulled the filter and seen if it makes a differance? It doesn't matter if the filter is clean, new or anything else, I would just be interested if it changes anything....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 12:52:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42