What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical question.  (Read 3756 times)

boxer95

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
electrical question.
« on: January 22, 2005, 08:49:50 am »
Yesterday we had our electrical box put in for our caldera hot tub that come on wednesday. I can't wait. we got a good deal on the electrical box, it was 485.00 plus a 100.00 paid to the dealer for the sub panel.
box. in california I paid 1,100.00 to have the same thing done as what I had done here in NC.

we are putting the tub on our screened in porch, the sub panel box is really close to the tub, is there any  law that says it needs to be 5 feet away? the box is real close  to where the tub is so I was wondering. and I was a little nervous about it.

thanks!
Lisa

Hot Tub Forum

electrical question.
« on: January 22, 2005, 08:49:50 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: electrical question.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 09:14:50 am »
I believe the National Electrical Code (NEC) (I also believe it's part of the BOCA code as well) is at least 5 feet - it has to do with the possibility of electrocution.

If you are doing this on a permit, it might not pass inspection; if your not and you go to sell the house - you will have to fix all code violations before you can close.

If you can move the box I would do so.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 11:15:01 am »
Vinny is correctomundo on the 5'/code requirement.  The concept is, 5 ' is far enough away that you can't reach over & flip the breaker back on while soaking in the tub.  That is considered unwise  ;)

There is also a requirement that it has to be close enough to be in a direct line of sight with the tub.  That has to do with servicing - so the tech can see the cover is up/breaker flipped and keep it in view so they know if someone else comes along, flips it back on.

If you don't move it, you might get through the selling process without a code violation noted (in a small town etc.)  But there is also the possibility if there is a problem later you could get caught up in a liability issue or the old "failure to disclose" thing about known defects/problems.

You got a very good price on the elect.  Assuming you used  a qualified electrician (as opposed to "the brother-in-law") they should work with you on moving the box.  However, the price is SO good you might have some small cost added for the move.  Some may disagree, and yeah, the electrician made a mistake in planning the job. . .but hey, $485 was a deal, he's a working stiff, an honest error.  If he's an honest guy, keep him in business.  On the other hand, if he's not an honest guy, call the code office (unless he's your brother-in-law!  ;D)
just my opinion!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 11:16:00 am by UnderTheStars »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 07:24:18 pm »
The code says 5' from the water, not the outside of the spa.  If it's really close to the 5' mark, measure to the water itself.  
Brewman
Brewman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 08:59:44 am »
I believe the National Electrical Code (NEC) (I also believe it's part of the BOCA code as well) is at least 5 feet - it has to do with the possibility of electrocution.

And, interestingly enough, it has just as much, if not more, to do with the possiblity of slipping and falling when reaching for the switch from inside the tub hence the requirement is measured from the closest inside edge of the tub (almost the same as from the water as Brewman mentioned but it is not dependent upon the water level). 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:51:35 am »
Thanks WSD!

I learn something new every day!

Vinny

autoplay

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 09:57:27 am »
Ours is about 7' from the tub,and a screen prevents it from being accessed from the tub side. When I change/refill the water,I have to go outside of the pool cage to shut off the 2 breakers.

You had to pay Caldera for the sub-panel?

autoplay

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 10:00:15 am »
To add to that,I just noticed,you mentioned you have a screened Lanai.  I'll take a picture of mine later today,and maybe it will help you with an idea,as far as what you can do with your situation.

Don't rush it :)

autoplay

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 07:58:22 pm »
Here's a few pics of mine.  And looking closer at mine.....I'd say I'm lucky if mine's 2' from the tub.  More than likely my situation fails code....but I have a fiberglass screen to crash through prior to electruction ;)

GL with it

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 09:25:51 am »
Here's a few pics of mine.  And looking closer at mine.....I'd say I'm lucky if mine's 2' from the tub.  More than likely my situation fails code....but I have a fiberglass screen to crash through prior to electruction ;)

auto,
Yours should comply with code as long as the permanent barrier, which your screen is, remains intact.  My guess is that the local authority granted jurisdiction may have other reasons to be concerned....because it is a screen, it may be judged differently by different inspectors...tough call but I'd consider it meeting code....FWIW..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

autoplay

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 02:19:14 pm »
Thx bud :)  I'm sure the aluminum channels that house the screened in Lanai....could possibly carry a little bit of a load.  We are very careful when using it.....and the entry/exit is on the opposite side of the box. (The powder coated aluminum also has it's own ground)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 02:19:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42