What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine Levels Confusion  (Read 1814 times)

Max78

Chlorine Levels Confusion
« on: January 20, 2005, 04:57:56 pm »
I am confused about the level of chlorine I should keep in my hot tub on a daily basis.  I know everyone has their own system and opinions on how things should be done.  My question is:  How long can you (or should you) leave your chlorine at zero?  I've heard some say that it is better to soak with no chemicals and others say you need some in there.  I have an Optima with an ozonator and a Spa Frog.  I use dichlor.  I check my chlorine levels daily and usually bump it up to 3-4 ppm. if it is down to .5 or lower.  I also usually add dichlor after use (1 tsp. per person).  If I'm not using my tub on a daily basis, do I need to keep the chlorine level up?  I just didn't know how long it could go at a really low level before problems would start.  I know it is important to add dichlor after using the tub but just didn't know how important it is to keep the levels up daily despite the amount of use.  Would you just be asking for algae to start if you didn't keep the levels up?  Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine Levels Confusion
« on: January 20, 2005, 04:57:56 pm »

nicker

Re: Chlorine Levels Confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 07:18:50 pm »
I too use dichlor and I try to keep my levels at the proper readings.    I don't want things to go sideways and have to either add lots of chems to get it back in check or have to drain and refill.   With the water being so warm its just a breading ground for bacteria so I would say try to keep it as close as it should be at all times (thats just me).    I do wonder though, you add 1 tbs per person after each use.  I would think your chlorine levels would be very high.   I add 1 tps after each use if there is a bunch of people in, but if its just me I may only add it after every second use.  Again depending on my readings.  I have had 0 problems doing it this way.  I usually test every second or third day but visually check and feel the water and sides every day.  

Max78

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 10:00:13 pm »
 I also usually add dichlor after use (1 tsp. per person).

Nick: I add 1 tsp. not 1 tbsp. per person after use.  1 tbsp. per person after use would really spike the chlorine level.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:21:17 pm »
You should be able to go at least two days without adding chlorine during non use times if you add 1 tsp per person after dosing and use the frog or N2.  Longer than that might, you may start to lose water quality.  Just add a tsp every couple of days.  It is not necessary to get it back to 2-3 ppm.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 02:23:58 pm by tony »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:21:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42