What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Master Spa steel frame  (Read 17546 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Master Spa steel frame
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 03:19:55 pm »
Steel is not necessarily stronger than wood and does not necessarily have a longer life.

Now hold on! I have to question the logic here? I agree that a hot tub frame out of 2 x 4 construction is more than adequate if it is built right with the proper wood, but to say that steel is not stronger than wood makes me question why we don't have any automobiles out today with wood frames or why commercial buildings require a metal I-beam for support on any span of distance! If that statement is true wouldn't it make more sense to build street light poles out of wood? It would be easier to work with and cheaper to haul!

There are manufactures that make wood frames that will outlast you but that doesn't mean steel is not stronger!

Windy,
I would love to do this test! Let me see if I can get MAAX to send me a piece....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 03:19:55 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 03:36:28 pm »
  I guess it would have nothing to do with the actual quality of the product itself would it...... ::)

You guys are relentless.

CFL, you will notice that my comments followed Stabones vailed claim of superiority and claim to marter status.

To answer your question, NO it has nothing to do with quality. Advertising dollars on that site = a rating. What rating depends on how much $ you spend. Is it a coincidence that Arctic received a rating only after they started advertising in their magazine and web site?

More proof it has nothing to do with quality would be the jump from "not rated" to "4 Star". Did Arctic improve that much in one calender year?

Also, if you actually read posts on this board you would see I was the first to apologize and welcome Arctic supporters after the 12 page thread Stabone started goit locked. Just yesterday I also defended Arctic. Relentless? Get your facts straight.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 03:37:37 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 03:37:30 pm »
Perhaps I'm alone on this, but I always find these types of arguments amusing. Reason why......

What's the real lifespan of a spa? Not just the cabinet, but all the rest of it as well. Lets give it 25 years just for arguments sake. Now, you could build a cabinet that would last 100 years, and maybe even use that as a marketing gimmick. HOWEVER, the cost to do so is going to make your product rather uncompetitive price wise, and besides, the rest of the spa still only has a 25 year lifespan.

The real "goal" should be to designing a product in which ALL of the various components have a similar life expectancy.

Back in the 40's or 50's the air force did some testing to determine the maximum deceleration forces the human body endure, and survive. Their thinking was there was no need to develop a plane's/jet's cockpit to withstand a force that couldn't also be withstood by the pilot (morbid I know, but true)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
"More proof it has nothing to do with quality would be the jump from "not rated" to "4 Star". Did Arctic improve that much in one calender year?"

you aint seen nothin.... I have a copy of the page from every time it's changed since 1998  ;)

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 03:55:13 pm »
I bet its funny. I know Beachcomber went from 4-3-4-3 all inside one calender year.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 04:00:19 pm »
even funnier.... I know the entire story as to why they were jumping around on their ratings  ;D

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 04:00:40 pm »
Windy,
I would love to do this test! Let me see if I can get MAAX to send me a piece....

And if you want to "exscape" the winter weather, you could deliver it in person!  I'd be most happy to make it real cheap and comfortable for you once you got here (except you'd have to stoop to soaking in an MS! ;D)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 04:17:01 pm »
      Who are the other manufactures on the list, I haven't read anyone from Arctic even talking about star ratings. No one cares but you.  Anyway, just keep talkin' about us guys, we love it!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:17:43 pm by stabone »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2005, 04:27:12 pm »
Back in the 40's or 50's the air force did some testing to determine the maximum deceleration forces the human body endure, and survive. Their thinking was there was no need to develop a plane's/jet's cockpit to withstand a force that couldn't also be withstood by the pilot (morbid I know, but true)

Are you talking about the speed sled, the fastest man alive, and the origin of Murphy's Law?  Sorry, this is about as on-topic to hot tubs as pool and spa ratings!  ;D

-Ed

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 04:28:08 pm »
     Who are the other manufactures on the list,

You can check yourself.
I haven't read anyone from Arctic even talking about star ratings.

I heard it from delaers and show teams, did I say I saw it on this site?
No one cares but you.

Quite obviously not, read the thread before you reply.
 Anyway, just keep talkin' about us guys, we love it!!

I bet you do. You keep making vailed claims, and I will.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:28:42 pm by HotTubMan »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 04:29:42 pm »

There are manufactures that make wood frames that will outlast you but that doesn't mean steel is not stronger!

Amen.  

A thin piece of steel might be weaker than a thick piece of wood.  I think the argument is that people go to steel but use thinner pieces (maybe to make it lighter? Cheaper?) and that, thin enough, it doesn't have the same support.

Use an adequate amount of wood for the frame and it will last the life of the tub and beyond.  Use an adequate amount of steel and coat is correctly to avoid rust (incuding where you drill holes in it to drop bolts) and you have a frame that will ast the life of the tub and beyond.

-Ed

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 04:34:11 pm »
      Anyway, just keep talkin' about us guys, we love it!!

There has been extensive talk about Thermospas, Haven spas and Adventure Spas on this site and others so I'm not sure I agree with the "as long as they're talking about us ...". Now I am NOT putting you on the list with those companies, I'm merely stating that you might want the talk to be more positive rather than simply being satisfied you've been successful getting your name mentioned (but that's just my opinion).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 04:51:57 pm »
  What I was wondering is how did Carmen Electra, go from #10 last year to #25 this year in Maxim's 100 sexiest women. And why Jessica Simpson went from #12 to #1 this year,  do you mean to tell me that  Carmen got less attractive and Jessica  got better looking during one calender year? Or did her popularity and sales numbers go up?  Who ever is hot gets better ratings, in any list.   I guess we must be hot, and getting talked about alot. Good or bad, any "pub" is good pub.   Keep it up guys, we really do appreciate it.  

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 04:57:37 pm »
scary... even on-topic he's completely off-topic
e

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 05:01:55 pm »
 What I was wondering is how did Carmen Electra, go from #10 last year to #25 this year in Maxim's 100 sexiest women. And why Jessica Simpson went from #12 to #1 this year,  do you mean to tell me that  Carmen got less attractive and Jessica  got better looking during one calender year? Or did her popularity and sales numbers go up?  Who ever is hot gets better ratings, in any list.   I guess we must be hot, and getting talked about alot. Good or bad, any "pub" is good pub.   Keep it up guys, we really do appreciate it.  

Just like when a toddler is naughty...

Negative attention is attention....Can't imagine it sells many spas.

Spahappy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 05:01:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42