What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about circ pumps  (Read 14410 times)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Re: Question about circ pumps
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 11:44:04 pm »
24/7 ozone is not needed
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 11:44:04 pm »

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 09:27:54 am »
I tend to be of the belief that ozone running 24/7 can have more harmful effects on your cover, jets, pillows, etc than any benefit it will give.

Steve

Ah, now that all depends.  Several manufacturers (including Artesian) offer ozone systems with little to no off-gassing.  So, you enjoy the benefits without the side effects (to health, covers, pillows, etc.).

Artesian offers their ProPure water management/ozone system that I think is absolutely amazing.  When I was at Artesian's mfg. facility recently, I saw a prototype in action that just blew me away.  They tested their ProPure system with a full-blown pool ozonator and a 3HP 'Wow' pump (high volume).  The clear plastic tubes of the first 3 chambers of the ProPure system turned completely yellow due to a reaction with the ozone gas.  The final 2 tubes remained perfectly clear, indicating little to no ozone just prior to the water's re-entry into the spa.  With this system there is then no chance for the pillows or cover to be damaged by the ozone, nor is there the potential health risk associated with ozone inhalation.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 10:38:36 am »
I will keep it simple, the low flow circulation pumps belong in the environment they were originally attended for, which is a small garden pond! NOT SPAS!

Nobody can logically state that lower flow (less turnover) and less turbulence will equate to cleaner water.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 01:05:18 pm »
I will keep it simple, the low flow circulation pumps belong in the environment they were originally attended for, which is a small garden pond! NOT SPAS!

Nobody can logically state that lower flow (less turnover) and less turbulence will equate to cleaner water.

So, Gary, are you saying that any spa with a circ pump has inherently inferior filtration to those spas that don't?  Hmmm....I guess that crystal water I see in my spa is but a figment of my imagination?

Face it, Gary.....there are many approaches taken by spa manufacturers regarding filtration systems, insulation techniques, therapy systems, etc., etc. ad nauseum....either the manufacturer does it well,  does it lousy or somewhere between.  But don't try to convince anyone on this board that any spa with a circ pump has inferior filtration....that duckie don't float.....
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 01:42:04 pm »
All I know is that my spa has the circulation pump which constantly filters the water thru one filter, which I run 24/7, and a low speed massage pump which I program to run for 30 minutes every 6 hours and my water is clean.  Whatever it is, it works.  
Brewman
Brewman

empolgation

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 01:53:40 pm »
I wonder how things would be if you just ran your jet pump for 30 minutes every 6 hours...
e

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 02:15:54 pm »
Good question, but I think I'll stay the program.
The filter on the circ pump is disposable, and filters tighter than the pleated one.  
I don't want to upset the apple cart.  

To reset the circ pump run time, I'd have to get out the owners manual, and read the procedure, and all that icky stuff.

Brewman
Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 03:24:04 pm »
What is getting lost here IMHO is that circ pumps have other benefits besides filtration.

Decible volume - Any circ pump I have come accross is quieter than any massage pump on low speed.

Heater effeciency - Circ pumps move the water much slower than massage pumps on low. This allows the water that is passing over the heater more time to absorb heat.

Pump efficiency (GPMvHP)- Rather than having your primary pump move water through the heater, with a circ pump that water goes straight to the jets. Take a Beachcomber for example, since they offer a circ as an option. The models without circs discharged water out the top through a 90 sweep to a 180 sweep to the heater. With the circ pump, the massage pump had  just a 90 sweep back to the tub. The circ did the 90/180 thing. Same model, same hard ware (other than the circ) there is a noticeable power difference out of the jets.

I may be just fueling the debate here, but I feel that a circ pump has more benefits to offer than the potential for cleaner water, which seems to be the debate here.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 09:06:43 pm »
People:

I'M SORRY - This wasn't meant to open up a can of worms!

All I wanted to know was if a 11 GPM circ pump COULD cause water clarity problems being I don't have a message pump "filter cycle" and IF 11 GPM was considered a lot in the circ pump world!

The secondary question of ozone happened by accident - I was just wanted thoughts about non  24/7 ozone.

I really didn't want it to get to mud slinging!

For Cgar,

My dealer talked me out of that ozone option - they felt that it was a costly (they didn't tell me how much) option and it really didn't have any proven effectiveness in their opinion - sanitizing chemicals are still needed (I'm paraphrasing).

Thanks to all!

Vinny

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 10:35:54 am »
My dealer talked me out of that ozone option - they felt that it was a costly (they didn't tell me how much) option and it really didn't have any proven effectiveness in their opinion - sanitizing chemicals are still needed (I'm paraphrasing).

My experience is that ozone (especially CD) is worth it. Now some may argue that the cost does not equal what you gain $$ in using less chemicals and they are right but the other thing you gain is cleaner water and less hassle/stress over water clarity issues and after seeing the frustraion of owners who have water issues I think its worth it. Then again, thats just my opinion.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Cgar

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
For Cgar,

Thanks to all!

Vinny

I'm not sure what your dealer is selling the ProPure option for, but at our cost I certainly wouldn't call it expensive.  And, I wonder what they were basing their lack of "proven effectiveness" comment on.  I think that would be a tough one for them to back up (based on our experience).

Oh, and what you see above hasn't reached the 'mud slinging' stage... yet.  No need to apologize in my opinion.  Healthy debate is a good thing.  Filtration, like other brand-specific aspects of hot tubs will always generate 'discussion'.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 11:44:40 am »
My last post made it sound like I wasn't getting ozone, I am getting ozone (the dealer includes it in her price for tub). I was referring to the ozone upgrade.

empolgation

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 12:13:53 pm »
I am getting ozone (the dealer includes it in her price for tub). I was referring to the ozone upgrade.

Really curious.... what does Artesian consider an "ozone upgrade"?

I don't see how one can "upgrade" a functional ozone system...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 12:14:23 pm by empolgation »
e

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 12:31:14 pm »
They have an option of an ozone mixing chamber(s) as Cgar mentioned in his first post

Cgar

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 12:38:02 pm »
The upgrade would be from a standard ozone system to the ProPure system.  The ProPure system has an extended mixing/suspension chamber that drastically reduces or eliminates ozone off-gassing.  So, you get all of the benefits of ozone without the harmful side effects (health-wise as well as damage to the underside of the cover, pillows, etc.).

There are a number of manufacturers that offer premium ozone systems with little to no off-gassing.  Artesian certainly isn't the only one.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 12:38:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42