What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Odors?  (Read 7935 times)

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
Odors?
« on: January 05, 2005, 07:24:28 am »
My tub had a strange odor last night.  Kind of a sour smell (insert all jokes now.....).  I have not had a chance to have the water tested, but I will.  Anybody have any idea or experience regarding this?

Hot Tub Forum

Odors?
« on: January 05, 2005, 07:24:28 am »

PPOL

Re: Odors?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:35:16 am »
How old is the water?  What sanitizer are you using?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 10:55:10 am »
Odors are usually water balance related. A good shock might be in order. Could be dirty filters, your cover, pillows, or that big hairy, sweaty guy that was in there last night! ;)

Sounds like a chemistry issue for sure. Post your readings of chlorine, pH & Alkainity when you get a chance as well as answering PPOL's questions.

If it doesn't improve after balancing, drain and refill.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:55:47 am by Steve »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 11:00:07 am »
Many times odor is caused by bacteria.  If you use dichlor, give it an extra dose.  If you use bromine, give it a dose of dichlor.  Shocking also helps.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 03:14:10 pm »
Also consider that the smell of cl/br can be greatly amplified if the TA &/ pH are low.
Homeworks Financing Representative

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:14:50 pm »
My tub had a strange odor last night.  Kind of a sour smell (insert all jokes now.....).  I have not had a chance to have the water tested, but I will.  Anybody have any idea or experience regarding this?

If it smelled BEFORE you got in see the above suggestions.  If it smelled AFTER, I would limit your chili eating prior to soaking.   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 05:33:50 pm »
Ahhh....  Now that was the answer I was looking for.  I will avoid the extra beans in the chili and limit my Guinness intake to single digits. ;)

Actually,  I have only had the tub for about 6 weeks, so the water is fairly new.  I did give it a little extra chlorine last night.  To be honest, I have not done much more than add chlorine every couple of days.  The saleperson told me not to worry about much else.  It has an ozonater, isn't that supposed to keep the chemicals in check? I will check the water readings and post them.  Thanks guys.

If it smelled BEFORE you got in see the above suggestions.  If it smelled AFTER, I would limit your chili eating prior to soaking.   ;)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 05:41:51 pm »
Actually,  I have only had the tub for about 6 weeks, so the water is fairly new.

Chas will recommend a drain
 I did give it a little extra chlorine last night.  To be honest, I have not done much more than add chlorine every couple of days.  The saleperson told me not to worry about much else.

Sounds like a saleperson that either a) is green and dosen't know what they are talking about b) is slimy and deceived you to get the sale or in hopes of selling you parts down the road.
 It has an ozonater, isn't that supposed to keep the chemicals in check?

NO. The ozonator will not balance your water for you. Ozone oxidizes thereby supplementing your sanitizer/oxidizer use. It is critical that you balance your water more often than every six weeks. If your TA and pH were correct 6 weeks ago, I guarantee they are not now.

There are several threads on this page currently discussing the potential damage that can be caused by unbalanced water. Read them.
Homeworks Financing Representative

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 05:53:52 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what is TA?

Chas will recommend a drain
Sounds like a saleperson that either a) is green and dosen't know what they are talking about b) is slimy and deceived you to get the sale or in hopes of selling you parts down the road.
NO. The ozonator will not balance your water for you. Ozone oxidizes thereby supplementing your sanitizer/oxidizer use. It is critical that you balance your water more often than every six weeks. If your TA and pH were correct 6 weeks ago, I guarantee they are not now.

There are several threads on this page currently discussing the potential damage that can be caused by unbalanced water. Read them.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 06:06:24 pm »
TA=Total Alkalinity
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 06:41:52 pm »
Ok, I guess it is time for me to learn something.  I just tested the water and everything is low. Ph, TA and Chlorine (I added chlorine last night).  The dealer gave me some chemicals that he stated should last 6 months or so.  I have shock, chlorine, ph increase & decrease, something called minquest extra strength formula and a "The natural spa purifier," which looks like it goes into one of the filters.

So, all levels are low.  I am guessing I need to add chlorine and Ph increase - how much?  How do I get the TA up, or is that a result of the chlorine and Ph?

HELP???

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 06:59:20 pm »
While I am on this quest for more knowledge, how often should I drain and replace the water?

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 07:12:55 pm »
Ishayku,

Some folks on here get 6+ months out of their water. Best thing to do is start reading page after page of posts. You will find answers to questions you didn't know you had (booze and hot tubs, nudity and hot tubs...). I have had my tub six months and this forum has saved me a ton of trouble.

Good luck.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 07:19:15 pm »
Ok, I don't know where you got the info LtDan, but you should drain and refill the tub every 3-4 months.  Depending on usage!  That is the norm.  When the tub is new, Chas recommends changing the water after the first month, just to get over the learning curve.

You should raise your TA and PH.  People have different methods, but I would suggest raising your TA first, then raising PH.  That is what I have done, and it works well for me.  Your chlorine level will drop, but that is ok, that means you soak in less chemicals.  When you get out, put your chlorine in and it should be ok.

That is how I maintain my water, anyway.  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 07:22:40 pm »
Lori - Thanks.  How do I increase the TA?  I have ph increase.  Do they make a TA increase as well?

Ok, I don't know where you got the info LtDan, but you should drain and refill the tub every 3-4 months.  Depending on usage!  That is the norm.  When the tub is new, Chas recommends changing the water after the first month, just to get over the learning curve.

You should raise your TA and PH.  People have different methods, but I would suggest raising your TA first, then raising PH.  That is what I have done, and it works well for me.  Your chlorine level will drop, but that is ok, that means you soak in less chemicals.  When you get out, put your chlorine in and it should be ok.

That is how I maintain my water, anyway.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 07:22:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42